Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bmelodie
Fanfold Paper
Views: 12,429
Message 1 of 28

Yoga 2 pro : Worst purchase of my life

Hi, 

I (kind of) apologise for doing this here, but read on and you'll understand why. 

I bought this computer in June 2014. I'm a student, so that was a lot of money for me, more than 1200$CAD. I bought it beause I thought (wrongly it seems) that this was a good laptop that would last for many years, with an excellent screen resolution and some perks that would help me through my university years.

First strike

Shortly after (not even a month), the glass of the screen broke for no obvious reason. After much hair pulling, mails, phone calls and a message on this forum, Lenovo sent me a box in which to return my computer and they fixed the screen, free of charge. (And you'll be happy to know that my screen is now perfectly fine even if my cat walks on it regularly, I dropped the computer (in a bag, but still) a few times and I open it from one corner. So, yeah, despite people telling me at that moment that it was my fault, I more than ever believe there was a FLAW on the original glass used to make the screen) 

Second strike

You would think, a personal computer at that price, they would have checked if it was working properly before selling it. Haha, funny you, NOPE. The yellow color is a complete horror. So your stunning resolution is good for nothing if there's a bit of yellow in what you're looking at. Lenovo tried to fix it with a bios update (which I did, yes) but it's not fixing much. And since the last couple of updates from Windows 10 I have the feeling it just reverted back to the original disgutsing green-brownish-yellow. 

Third strike

An other one of the reasons I bought this laptop was because of the nice autonomy of the battery. So when I'm at the university, sometimes in places with limited places to connect to a power source, it's amazing. However, I soon discovered, in shock, that my screen would flickers/turns black/glitches when it was not plugged. I tried to find a solution for that. I found a few, and it effectively corrected the bug... for a while. And it would come back, and then I would try a new fix, and it would come back. Last time I had to bypass the update "lock" for the Intel drivers and it worked for a long time, I thought that was finally over. Until... another update of Windows 10. Back to square one. At the end of the last semester (around beggining of December 2017), I could not go one hour without being plugged in a power source or my screen would be unusable. I'm sure it was flickering enough to trigger a epileptic seizure (almost not joking). 

Final strike

At least, I thought in 2014 when I encountered the problems for the first time, Lenovo is a reknown company. They would surely have an awesome response for those bugs and an excellent customer service. Haha, funny me, NOPE. As you may (or may not) have noticed, my first language is not English, it is French. And soon after my purchase, I learned some fun facts about Lenovo customer services (in 2014, I kind of hope that has changed) :

- There may be a French website, but no French customer service

- Maybe there's a super customer service for Lenovo laptops, I'll never know.. as in 2014, it was near impossible to get help with a Yoga laptop. "Sorry, I can only help with any-other-name-of-Lenovo-laptop-than-Yoga, for the Yoga, good luck, they have no help to offer."

- Whenever I would get in touch with the customer service, I would be treated like everything was my fault and I was an idiot. 

- Last one, Today, almost 4 years later, I have been trying to find where I could write to someone my complaints and problems with the Yoga 2 pro with not much success. As in 2014, I was on the French website, clicked on the "chat" button to get help to find where I could complaint, tadaaa, English-only response. That's okay, I can live with it. So I ask where I can file a complaint. "Let me check", sure. "Go on the feedback page", hmm, yeah, but I can't find it. The guy gives me the link and before I can even read what he had written after, he had closed the chat (and no e-mail was sent to me with the transcript of the chat). So I go back on the page he linked ... there's no place where I can click to file anything. I can only read what Lenovo has done to improve it's webite based on the comments of people. Now I'm a bit pissed. So right now, I'm doing the only thing that worked in the past : Complaining on the forum ! 

I'm angry, sad, depressed, but still I'm sorry to do that here has I doubt that you can do anything about all that (or that you'll read the whole message).  

That was definitely the worse purchase of my life. For over a thousand dollars, I'm stuck with a machine for which I had to fight to get a screen glass that doesn't brake when you look at it*, with a powerfull screen - that can't render colors correctly - and a powerfull battery - that I cannot use has I MUST be plugged if I want to have a usable screen -. But I think that the worse is that no people in power at Lenovo seems to give about the problems that their customers experienced with this laptop and I KNOW I'm not the only one.

For a couple of hundreds more, I could have had a Yoga Thinkpad which would have probably been better but I'll never know. I will never put more money in that company and I'll do everything in my power to never have to work on a Lenovo laptop/computer in the future. It's way to much trouble for the money (except if you are a company that has the potential to put even more money in their products, then I guess you can obtain a much more efficient customer service, just a hunch).

*And from what I read today on my 2014 post about the broken screen, many other people got the same problem and could not get a repair without paying for it which is, in my opinion, disgusting from Lenovo services has they know now, for sure, that the problem was coming from the glass they used the manufacture the laptops and not from a mishandling from the users. 

That is all, I think I said everything I had to say about this. I'll now try to move on and find the money to buy a new laptop from another company. Hoping to not get scammed twice, I will take even more time than usual to read the reviews. It seems that's all a customer can do nowaday has we cannot trust companies to aknowledge their errors. 

I all which you better luck than me with your laptops/computers and a pleasant year 2018 with health, love, kindness/respect and money (why not). 

Moderator comment: Post edited to conform with the Community Rules. Keep it clean.

Birraque
802.11n
Views: 12,414
Message 2 of 28

Re: Yoga 2 pro : Worst purchase of my life

Hi bmelodie,

I totally understand your complains and issues with Y2P.
Myself had almost all of them without any support from Lenovo side.
That's why I shared this Setup Guide in this Forum to help other costumers.
Believe me when I say that flickers/turns black/glitches are fixed now (like many others).

Best Regards (and Happy New Year)

bmelodie
Fanfold Paper
Views: 12,340
Message 3 of 28

So far, it seems to work. I have unplugged my laptop after the drivers installations (3 of them didn't work though). I'm at 55% battery and no flickering for the moment. 

That will help me very much for the next semester, thank you !

EDIT : Nope, 44 % and it started :'(  I will try to install the 3 drivers that didn't work but I doubt that will help. 

Birraque
802.11n
Views: 12,328
Message 4 of 28

Hi bmelodie,
With ALL drivers with SAME VERSION that I shared and "THIS TRICKS" my Y2P is running with ZERO screen flicker issue for months now.
Worth a try.
Regards

bmelodie
Fanfold Paper
Views: 12,319
Message 5 of 28

The Intel Management Engine Interface for Windows 10 (64-bit) - 9.5.13.1706 doesn't install correctly but everything else seems to work now, so I'll go on with the rest of the steps. 

Birraque
802.11n
Views: 12,317
Message 6 of 28

My sugestion is to go "Control Panel \ Programs \ Programs and Features \ Uninstall or change a program" then UNINSTALL your current "Intel Management Engine Components", restart you Y2P and try to install again the "Intel Management Engine Interface for Windows 10 (64-bit) - 9.5.13.1706 - From Lenovo".
Let me know if work fine now.

EDIT: If you're running Windows 10 HOME edition, read this new NOTE.

bmelodie
Fanfold Paper
Views: 12,272
Message 7 of 28

I reinstalled Windows completely today. I just finished the drivers update. I did everything this time except that last bit with Windows Home ? I don't really get it. I don't understand the purpose of it or how to do it properly. 

Birraque
802.11n
Views: 12,256
Message 8 of 28

The latest tested and reliable graphics driver for Y2P is 15.40.37.4835 from Intel.
But Windows 10 (Update) still pushing the WRONG version (or not the best one) on our computers.
Doesn't matter if you manually installed Intel's version .4624, .4703 or .4835 because without a Group Policy vga update restrition WU will push (upgrading or downgrading the current version) 20.19.15.4642 from Microsoft back again.
Then my sugestion for HOME users that coudn't implement a Group Policy restrition is to go directly with WU version. It's not a big issue since both latest versions (Intel and WU) can work flicker free with Energy Manager trick activated. Check if .4642 or .4835 version is already installed on "Device Manager \ Display Adapters \ Intel HD Graphics Family \ Properties \ Drivers" and in this case no other action needed.
If you're not running .4642 or .4835 then will need to follow DDU = Display Driver Uninstaller steps (1 to 3) "removing current vga driver", steps (12 and 13) "enabling automatically install all drivers" and checking on Windows Update to install .4642 from Microsoft.

bmelodie
Fanfold Paper
Views: 12,239
Message 9 of 28

If my version is 20.19.15.4835 it should be ok then ? 

And the trick with the Energy manager is only to put "ON" the "Automatic screen refresh rate" ? 

Soooooo if I unplug now, I shouldn't have the flickering bug ? I'm trying that now !

EDIT : By the way, Lenovo should pay you. You're so much more efficient than any of their employee I talked/wrote to. I still don't plan to buy another Lenovo product ever in my life but currently, you're really a hope saver.

EDIT 2 : Still flickering so I'll use the DDU

Birraque
802.11n
Views: 12,229
Message 10 of 28

I tested this setup guide with five different Y2P and all them are flicker free now.
The .4835 is the best version but you should confirm if it really installed @  "Device Manager \ Display Adapters \ Intel HD Graphics Family \ Properties \ Driver".
Are you running with latest BIOS 76CN43WW version? Double check it.

EDIT: FLICKER FREE on Battery (Turned ON "automatic screen refresh rate" @ Energy Manager) will work ONLY in "Daily Mode" or "Cinema Mode" @ Screen 48Hz.
The other options "Stable Mode" and "High Performance Mode" @ Sreen 60Hz will flicker from time to time.
When on charging all four Modes will run smoothly and FLICKER FREE.

EnergyManager.PNGLenovo Energy Management for Windows 10 (64-bit) - 1.0.1.51 - From Lenovo

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors