Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Bit Torrent
Message 11 of 21 (6,972 Views)

Re: Tip: Temp work around for Intel 7260 wireless card problems

My current Y470 laptop and Sony Vaio Pro 13 are still working perfectly. I'm currently testing the "unofficial (for Intel)" 16.8.0 (dated 12/5/2013) drivers for Intel 7260N. I'm always connected @ 2.4 GHz band (I don't have a dual band router) where the speed and limited connectivity issues happen.

With the 16.8.0 drivers (HT Mode is enabled), the connection tends to fluctuate from 13 Mbps - 144 Mbps when the network activity is idle. However, once it starts to transfer data, the speed will stay at 144 Mbps most of the time. The improvements that I see with the 16.8 drivers is that the ping spikes are slightly reduced. With prior drivers (16.1.5), I used to get ping spikes of 80 - 600ms once in a while (annoying when streaming internet radio). But this new driver seem to do much better (less ping spikes and I haven't had an interruption when using internet radio for more than an hour). As of this writing, I haven't had the speed drop that gets stuck at 11Mbps yet. Hopefully, Intel can finalize this driver and be put on their download center site. (I'm guessing it'll probably have a different version number like the one they did when they released the 16.1.5.2 drivers (it was version 16.1.4.4 before Intel WHQL'ed their drivers))

This driver issues with Intel has let me reconsider my next laptop purchase. I've always had good luck with  Broadcom WiFi chipsets so I'll defnitely consider my next laptop to have a Broadcom card. The only downside to Broadcom cards is lack of Linux support.

Lenovo Y470: i7-2670QM | 8 GB DDR3 1333 MHz RAM | Nvidia GeForce GT 550M | 500 GB 7200 RPM Seagate HDD | ASUS PCE-AC56 802.11ac Network Adapter | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
SCSI Port
Message 12 of 21 (6,221 Views)

Hint from Linux world?

Apparently some single-band 7260 cards have NVM values that claim that they support 5GHz (which they don't).  This COULD screw up wireless behaviour.

Is there a way of turning off 5GHz in Windows?

A commit to the Linux wireless code:

commit 35d77b5e57bca703ca4b9fb3acca124c93c18b12
Author: Emmanuel Grumbach emmanuel.grumbach @i ntel.com
Date:   Thu Dec 5 22:42:55 2013 +0200

iwlwifi: mvm: don't allow A band if SKU forbids it

The driver wasn't reading the NVM properly. While this
    did'nt lead to any issue until now, it seems that there
    is an old version of the NVM in the wild.
    In this version, the A band channels appear to be valid
    but the SKU capabilities (another field of the NVM) says
    that A band isn't supported at all.
    With this specific version of the NVM, the driver would
    think that A band is supported while the HW / firmware
    don't. This leads to asserts.
Bit Torrent
Message 13 of 21 (6,216 Views)

[ Edited ]

HughR wrote:

Hint from Linux world?

Apparently some single-band 7260 cards have NVM values that claim that they support 5GHz (which they don't).  This COULD screw up wireless behaviour.

Is there a way of turning off 5GHz in Windows?

A commit to the Linux wireless code:

commit 35d77b5e57bca703ca4b9fb3acca124c93c18b12
Author: Emmanuel Grumbach emmanuel.grumbach @i ntel.com
Date:   Thu Dec 5 22:42:55 2013 +0200

iwlwifi: mvm: don't allow A band if SKU forbids it

The driver wasn't reading the NVM properly. While this
    did'nt lead to any issue until now, it seems that there
    is an old version of the NVM in the wild.
    In this version, the A band channels appear to be valid
    but the SKU capabilities (another field of the NVM) says
    that A band isn't supported at all.
    With this specific version of the NVM, the driver would
    think that A band is supported while the HW / firmware
    don't. This leads to asserts.

I made you a picture PDF on how to do this. http://www.sendspace.com/file/uffp9g

I changed mine like 10 hours ago lol. Come on, stay a step ahead ;P...

SCSI Port
Message 14 of 21 (6,195 Views)

indest wrote:

I made you a picture PDF on how to do this. http://www.sendspace.com/file/uffp9g

I changed mine like 10 hours ago lol. Come on, stay a step ahead ;P...

Good to know.  Does it improve behaviour?  Fix the original problem?

(I don't use Windows.)

Bit Torrent
Message 15 of 21 (6,185 Views)

I should know in 1 week and for sure in 1 month lol.

Topics: 44
Kudos: 210
Blog Posts: 5
Solutions: 119
Message 16 of 21 (6,167 Views)

Don't know what Intel is doing with all their drivers, but it seems to be a bug present on every Intel WLAN adapter with 802.11n

Jonas

Lenovo Insider
Microsoft MVP Windows Development

Twitter: @jonashendrickx

Fanfold Paper
Message 17 of 21 (5,183 Views)

I didi that to avoid the 5ghz, but the problem remaisns - I'm using 17.0 drivers

What the hell is going on. It ruins the experience of the laptop. Is ther any compatible bug free wireless card from some brand that we may buy and replace - example parts from hp, sony, etc. laptops that are not from intel and fit the yoga pro 2?

Thanks

Serial Port
Message 18 of 21 (3,065 Views)

[ Edited ]

Lenovo tech support troubleshooted my N 7260 which consisted of making a few settings different on the adapter... such as increasing roaming aggressiveness to "5. Highest" and confirming the deselection of "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" settings.  We let the laptop sleep and like clockwork, when the laptop woke it did not recognize it had a wifi card.

Lenovo offered to send me a replacement card, but said it would be the same 7260.  I asked if there was another card they could send, perhaps the 7265 that appears to have recently been released, since its widely known the 7260 is defective.  They said they do not have any info on the 7265.  OK then, I said to send the replacement 7260 so at least we could establish beyond a doubt that the 7260s are a defective product (as if there was any doubt).  Then Lenovo came back on the line and said they had no 7260s available, and no information on when they might have them to send.  In other words, no solution whatsoever.

I then asked what other non-Intel wifi cards would work with the Flex 15.  They said none that they are aware of.

So what choice is there but class action/lemon law claims and contacting the state attorney general for help?  So short sighted.  I used to think of Lenovo and Intel as quality companies.

p.s. - I saw someone said they would contact the BBB.  That is a waste of time, the BBB is funded and run by the business which "self-police" under the BBB banner.  The state attorney generals (usually those not in the same states in which the business is located) and class action attorneys are the way to get results when companies like Lenovo leave you in the lurch.

Token Ring
Message 19 of 21 (3,048 Views)

Amazing to read so many complaints over the Intel 7260N card; was this aonly in the past with the bad initial drivers?

As for me it is the 100% better replacement of the terrible Realtek RTL8723BE and Atheros AR954x cards that are OEM on the Yoga 2 13 

I'm using the 7260N with drivers version 17.0.2.5 and the connections seem quite stabel; I notice very little problems compared to my cabled network connection.

Sometimes data transfers stalls for a few seconds and there are some brands/types of routers it will not connect to.

Nothing compared to the RTL and AR ...

Punch Card
Message 20 of 21 (2,880 Views)

Glad to find this topic !

I was reasonably happy running the 17.1.0.19 drivers (latest according to the Intel tool) no more disconnects for a start, but I was having problems with "gaps" while streaming audio on YouTube. Thought there was something wrong the stream so I downloaded it with clipconverter and it plays fine...except I wasn't happy with the audio options so I downloaded it again (at a high speed, about 4MBps) with different settings while playing the previous download and I noticed that the audio was becoming badly garbled...pointing to an issue with downloading and likely the drivers.

Anyone else notice that? Any fix ?

Top Kudoed Authors