Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Blue Screen Again
Message 1 of 38 (11,615 Views)

Yoga 2 (1051F) MicroUSB charge/data simultaneously?

What combination of adapters and such can enable a Yoga 2 to charge AND provideo OTG data at the same time via microUSB port?

Please only respond if you have tested a *Working* solution. I have tried the various DIY hacks found online for other tablets like the Venue 8 and Miix.....none work for the Yoga 2 including the Dell branded charge/sync adaptor they sell.

Surely this tablet isn't crippled in such a way that you can't plug in external USB devices to use while also charging?

What's DOS?
Message 2 of 38 (11,552 Views)

Re: Yoga 2 (1051F) MicroUSB charge/data simultaneously?

This is exactly the question I have.

I'm trying to use the 13 inch version as a laptop replacement, and the inabilty to use any USB device while charging makes this one of the more annoying devices I've ever used.

If you find a solution, I'd be eternally grateful (and I'll continue searching myself).

Community Moderator
Message 3 of 38 (11,548 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi both,

I pulled this out of the 1st post and fed it to The Google "charge AND provide OTG data at the same time via microUSB port"

Here are the first two Amazon hits.  I haven't tried these.   Is this the kind of thing you're looking for?

http://www.amazon.com/Micro-Cable-Power-Galaxy-Samsung/dp/B00CXAC1ZW

http://www.amazon.com/Micro-Cable-Power-Samsung-AtomicMarket/dp/B009YPYORM

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

Punch Card
Message 4 of 38 (11,539 Views)

[ Edited ]

This is an important question that needs to be addressed.

Dell sells a dongle for Dell Venue tablets, Dell Micro USB Dongle for Data and ChargingThe description offered by Dell for this dongle:

The Dell Micro USB Dongle for Data and Charging is designed to provide Dell Venue Tablet users easy port expansion, by allowing them to add an additional full-size USB port while also simultaneously charging the device via the micro USB port. Easily connect your essential peripherals, such as external hard drives, while also concurrently charging your Venue Tablet via the Venue’s charging cable. Moreover It is easy to throw this small, compact dongle in your pocket or bag and take in on-the-go in order to stay productive virtually anywhere. This dongle simply plugs in to your Venue’s micro USB port. With all these features and more it provides 2 input ports such as micro USB port and full-size USB port.

Will this dongle work?

Blue Screen Again
Message 5 of 38 (11,522 Views)

paputo- alas, no. FedEx literally delivered that same Dell adaptor to me today, and it doesn't work for us. Smiley Sad. I had really high hopes for it
Blue Screen Again
Message 6 of 38 (11,517 Views)

zoltan- unfortunately no- the problem with those is that they will provide power to the peripherals connected via USB (such as an external HD that needs power) but they will not route power back through the cable to the tablet itself for charging.

The solution is a hodgepodge of spliced cables and shorted data lines from what I'm reading. I've picked up a few various cables to try and follow some other users posts that cobbled things together for other tablets.

Shame we even have to go this route- and that Lenovo didn't provide such a way for us to do this. But then again, why would they we don't even get drivers downloads!
Blue Screen Again
Message 7 of 38 (11,516 Views)

zenkamal- I will most definitely post results of testing various co figs here. As I mentioned earlier, the one cable I had highest hopes of working- the adapter from dell for their venue tablets- didn't work.
Punch Card
Message 8 of 38 (11,515 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi, bderekgroves, can you be more specific with respect to how it fails to work?

1) If you put a mouse (USB) to the full USB port, and the original charging cable to the microUSB port, can you use the mouse and do the charging at the same time?

2) If you remove the mouse, but leave only the charging cable connected, will the tablet do the charging?  If not, the tablet probably only sees this dongle as an external USB device, and the internal charging circuitry is not activated when this dongle is attached to the tablet's microUSB port.

derekgroves wrote:
paputo- alas, no. FedEx literally delivered that same Dell adaptor to me today, and it doesn't work for us. Smiley Sad. I had really high hopes for it

Blue Screen Again
Message 9 of 38 (11,483 Views)

paputo- the Dell dongle will only function in an OTG status. Plugging the factory Lenovo charger into the female microUSB port of the Dell dongle has no affect- whether plugged in alone for power only or plugged in alongside a mouse.

No combination of plugging in and out will result in charging using the Dell adaptor. The only thing I can make the Dell adaptor do is serve as OTG- so it *will* allow a mouse or USB tnumb drive to work....just no charging.

So, your #2 is correct- we can't get the Yoga to initiate charging circuitry when the Dell adaptor is plugged in.

A couple of updates:

1. I noticed that no combination of microusb cables and wall dongles other than the factory dongle would charge my Yoga. So, I found a guide to create a power only microusb cable to let me use any wall dongle I want.....this worked. Has nothing to do with charging and data at same time, but it does eliminate the annoyance of only being able to use the Yoga dongle for power. I followed this guide to make the cable: http://anuragbhatia.com/electronic-stuff/creating-a-cable-for-fast-usb-charging/

2. I emailed the folks at Vener8, the ones who make the adaptor that allows the Dell Venue 8 to charge and carry data at same time through microUSB. They replied:

"As far as we know, it will not work for the Yoga and we have no other solution. Thanks for asking.

Regards,

The Vener8 Team"

Fanfold Paper
Message 10 of 38 (11,462 Views)

[ Edited ]

was gonna say vener8 also but i guess that answer it too.... sucks ;(

As i saids before (maybe in another forum), while the design of the yoga2 is slick, i would rather trade off some of that slickness for a proper kb dock with electrical connection rather than a BT kb.  With a kb dock with electrical connection you can add a full size usb port to be able to use usb devices while charging and also being able to use kb and trackpad during set up and bios as well as not to have to worry about having to charge the kb.  I would gladly trade a few more ounces of bunk and weight for this ability...   

I was deciding between asus t100 and levono yoga 2.  Thinking of keeping the yoga but keep doubting myself on the kb issue (which does tie into the charging/using usb).....  The yoga 2 has significantly better battery life and screen compared to t100 but this kb issue sorta keep bothering me...

Top kudoed Authors