Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Blue Screen Again
Message 11 of 38 (5,728 Views)

Re: Yoga 2 (1051F) MicroUSB charge/data simultaneously?

[ Edited ]

Just an update everyone- I tried this method posted in  another thread to create a y cable with usb female to hopefully charge and power at same time. Involved a bit of soldering and a resistor, which I'm very capable of.....however, still no go.  If anyone else finds a solution PLEASE let others here know! In the meantime I'm giving up. Fact is, I never really had a specific need to charge and provide data at same time, I just wanted the capability in my bag of cables I carry with me.  At least we can use external USB devices, andnwith the right dongle even power them separately so things like external hd's work. I guess I would rather have that than no ability to power an external HD like on my old iPad.

I first had the ASUS T100 before this Yoga 2, and in addition to be8ng a fingerprint magnet, the ASUS had a much more inferior screen, one less camera, flimsier build, AND lower speed proc/less RAM.....at least the one Best Buy carries, the 100TAF for the same price as the Yoga 2. I know the 100TAM has same spec RAM and proc as Lenovo, but still has inferior screen and cheap build. You do get that real USB port in the keyboard dock though, but I dont think the trade off on the other points is worth it.

Good luck guys.....whatever you've got, enjoy it.

Fanfold Paper
Message 12 of 38 (5,721 Views)

MS store just had a sale on T100TAF for $175.  of course that was out of stock in a day.  at that price the t100 is def competitive, just not at 260-300$.   If levono can make a kb dock for the yoga 2 replacement they would have a complete winner.  IMHO, the slight added bulk for a proper kb dock with direct electric connection is worth it as most people doesn't carry the kb dock with them all the time to make the added bulk an issue.  you can still make and keep the slim shape of the tablet and the nice highres screen in either case.  but when you do need a proper kb with additional usb port, a BT kb doesn't really substitute.

Punch Card
Message 13 of 38 (5,714 Views)

[ Edited ]

Lenovo has a cable specifically designed for Thinkpad 8 (8" Windows tablet), as follows:

ThinkPad USB 3.0 Y cable
Part number: 4X90G54343

The ThinkPad USB 3.0 Y cable provides ThinkPad 8 users charging capability as well as USB 3.0 connectivity. The cable is equipped with a unique micro-USB/power tip that fits perfectly with the ThinkPad 8 USB/Power port. The cable splits so that the power cable can plug directly into an AC charger while the USB cable plugs directly into a USB device.

Provides/maintains charge capacity
Enables USB connectivity
Power via AC charger

ThinkPad USB 3.0 Y cable

This cable may work for Yoga Tablet 2 8", 10", 13" (Windows), providing simultaneous charging and USB 2.0 connectivity.

Blue Screen Again
Message 14 of 38 (5,705 Views)

No,  there's no way to even plug that cable into this machine. Thats a USB 3.0 micro connector, which this taboet can't physically accomodate.

Punch Card
Message 15 of 38 (5,702 Views)

[ Edited ]

It should be microUSB (USB 2.0) backward compatible. It will only provide USB 2.0 connectivity for Yoga tablet 2.

(You can connect a USB 2.0 device to a USB 3.0 slot; You can also connect a USB 3.0 device to a USB 2.0 slot. This does not apply to microUSB ports?.)

derekgroves wrote:

No,  there's no way to even plug that cable into this machine. Thats a USB 3.0 micro connector, which this taboet can't physically accomodate.

Blue Screen Again
Message 16 of 38 (5,698 Views)

[ Edited ]

No, there's no way to physically plug it in. MicroUSB 3.0 uses a completely different connection standard.....look at the pic and look at the side of your tablet......our tablets have microusb 2.0

Blue Screen Again
Message 17 of 38 (5,689 Views)

micro-usb-cables.jpg

Punch Card
Message 18 of 38 (5,681 Views)

[ Edited ]

By looking at the pictures of Thinkpad 8, the microUSB port on it does look very different.  Well, another road is being blocked. Smiley Frustrated

Blue Screen Again
Message 19 of 38 (5,651 Views)

paputo- I have accepted defeat on this one =(.

I will just have to hope I never encounter a situation where I need to simultaneously power the tablet and run a USB device.
Fanfold Paper
Message 20 of 38 (5,647 Views)

We need to petition levono to start making a proper kb dock.  The way i see it is it's unlikely (or not as easily) able to have a full size usb added to the tab itself.  so the only real way for charging and using usb at same time is by a proper kb dock that is a liitle bigger to accomodate a full size usb port than the current BT kb  with actual physical electrical connection to the tab. 

Top kudoed Authors