Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Message 21 of 33 (1,393 Views)

Re: T420s Pixelated Screen

IBM reached a peak there with LCD technology, then everything dropped back couple of years.... i think the problem is that consumers and computer manufacturers are not exerting enough pressure in unison on the suppliers, but they are allowing the LCD manufacturers to hold all the chess pieces in the game.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Bit Torrent
Message 22 of 33 (1,335 Views)

lead_org wrote:
T60 as in T60p? They are joking right?

Maybe not.  The T60p Flexview (IPS) is a stellar screen.

Microsoft MVP Contributor
Message 23 of 33 (1,321 Views)

[ Edited ]

no i was just finding what the salesman said about the T420s' screen amusing. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Message 24 of 33 (1,284 Views)

I wish it was a joke. i spoke with 2 different sales reps and both told me that its the same or even better than the T60 Display.

Here is one of the chat logs from the day i purchased the T420S

[09:23:25] Noam: Im a pro photographer, and the T60 had amazing screen for photo editing. Wanted to ask if the screen of the T420s is similar to the T60?
[09:25:11] _Kaitlin: Ok, the T420s would be an excellent choice, as it has the option for a dedicated graphics card
[09:25:39] Noam: what about the screen/display?
[09:25:46] Noam: same type?
[09:26:24] _Kaitlin: Let me check
[09:27:03] _Kaitlin: Yes, the resolution is HD+ 
[09:27:29] _Kaitlin: The resolution is actually a little better
[09:29:26] Noam: cool, but not sure it answers my question... Is it the same technology? same matt display? 
[09:29:41] Noam: asking just because the t60 had amazing display for editing
[09:30:00] _Kaitlin: Yes, it is...The T420s is the same model..just two versions later. Its also a little slimmer and more portable.

Bit Torrent
Message 25 of 33 (1,249 Views)

I am not understanding something about this thread.  Did you ever request a full refund and return the machine?

I would have done that on 9/30 after you received the machine back from repair.  If you didn't do that, I am not sure what your complaint is at this point.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Message 26 of 33 (1,171 Views)

[ Edited ]

After 30 days of sending this machine to lenovo twice, being on the phone for hours and days and losing 30 days of work - canceling this order wasnt something i could do. i needed this machine to be fixed or replaced. getting the money like nothing happened would be just a waste of 30 days.

It ended up being a waste of 60 days. hard times...

and I just wanted to make sure future costumers who think of getting T420S will know they might have to be blind to enjoy it...

HDMI
Message 27 of 33 (1,146 Views)

[ Edited ]

Your trials & tribulations are almost unbelieveable.

With you being a Pro Photographer in New York City (of all places) your due dilligence was very poor. As previously

mentioned, your machine is a business laptop rather than another product of theirs know & designed for graphics

work. After having opened the packing box and discoverd your mistake (No 1) poor DD and (No 2) not returning

the laptop as being innapropriate for your industry and buying one that was, you started with a "repair circus" that

consumed your precious time. This would have possibly been alieviated by a same/next day warranty upgrade that

was a Lenovo offer which you did not employ. Losing two months worth of work must have put you in a real bind,

and being a Pro without a backup machine or other plan, well . . . I don't understand, that after a period of time you

didn't purchase another preowned (read used & cheap) computer as a back up and work from there.

Regards.

I do not, nor am I associated with Lenovo.

I love my LENOVO.
T 410s, WIN 7, 128 SSD, 64 Ult.

I do not work for LENOVO.
Bit Torrent
Message 28 of 33 (1,143 Views)

There are two good screens in the ThinkPad line.  The X220 Premium 12.5" IPS screen at 1366x768 or the W520 15.6" FHD screen at 1920x1080.  Nothing in between is going to satisfy a professional photographer in the field.

If the X220 wouldn't work for you, then the Apple MacBook Air 13" at 1440x900 should have been considered.  You can still run Windows 7 and any required apps quite nicely on the MBA.

In May/June of next year if the rumors become true, the X2 might be a good choice.  We'll have to wait and see if the screen rumors pan out.

Paper Tape
Message 29 of 33 (1,130 Views)

First I have to say, that I'm not a pro photographer, nor that I have seen a t410s lcd screen in real life, so I can't compare it with a T420s screen. But before I bought a T420s (and sent it back the same day i've got it) I was using a HP 6910p, which is also a so called "business machine". The screen quality of the T420s was simply bad. I'm not talking about the viewing angle, but the grid pattern which is clearly visible and makes the picture look blocky. You get easily distracted when you try to work with. And what I also don't get is, why do some people stress that this is a busness machine? Does it mean, that I automatically have to accept such a bad display quality?   

Bit Torrent
Message 30 of 33 (1,126 Views)

mh420 wrote:

Does it mean, that I automatically have to accept such a bad display quality?   

In a large enterprise where there are thousands of users the answer is likely yes.  Procurement negotiates the contract and evaluations rarely rate screen quality, much less make it a key aspect of a contract. 

Lenovo defenders will say they can't sell machines with high quality screens because it drives the cost up and procurement will pick a competitor. But we've gotten to the point where a revolt is getting ready to occur.  Users aren't stupid.  Ever heard of "consumerization of IT" ?  We aren't just talking about iPads here.

Anyone accepting the T420s screen as good enough is in denial.

I have come to accept 16:9.  But I won't accept poor quality.

Top kudoed Authors