Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
Message 31 of 128 (1,415 Views)

Re: x120e Stuttering Audio

On my X120e, there are two entries for High Definition Audio Controller (I'm guessing one's the Conexant CX20582 and the other is for the audio component of the HDMI?).  One has the IRQ value of 16 and the other has an IRQ value of 19.  The IRQ value of 19 one shares the number with the AMD SATA Controller.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
For a compilation of most X120e issues:
Compilation of Lenovo X120e issues and solutions
Token Ring
Message 32 of 128 (1,408 Views)

Hmmm, knowing that it leads me to thinking about hard drives and their thermal calibration they used to do (maybe still).

TC would cause obnoxious audio hiccups/burps on a absolutely predictable basis if the IRQ was shared.

If I had an X120e, I'd look into the possibility of changing the audio IRQ so it wasn't shared with the SATA controller

OR

disable the HDMI audio through 'Control Panel':'Hardware and Sound':'Manage Audio Devices'

Let us know if either proves out.

Punch Card
Message 33 of 128 (1,400 Views)

I wasn't able to figure out how to change the IRQ value.  The only help I was able to find online for Windows 7 relating to IRQ was changing the IRQ priority by adding an entry in the Regedit.

So I did the second thing and disabled the HDMI audio.

Still same issue.  I sleep, wake up the laptop, audio stutters / hiccups.  I don't know why it only happens for me after I wake the laptop from sleep and never after a fresh boot or waking from hibernation (waking from hibernation seems to be only for my machine as another mentioned that it still occured after waking from hibernation).

Just for laughs, I used the HDMI Audio component and it still occurs, except the audio stutter is audible through the larger TV speakers.  Ha, haaaa... =/

Paper Tape
Message 34 of 128 (1,372 Views)

I found a temporary solution to this problem.

Click on start button - search 'msconfig' then enter - go to startup tab - UNCHECK 'ThinkPad Power Manager'.

I noticed that whenever I enable Power Manager on the taskbar, the stuttering occurs.

So by not making it appear at all, the problem seems to be fixed. (As a quick fix though. We want to use some of the features of power manager eventually.)

Now I don't have any stutterings even after coming back from the sleep mode. (With wireless, bluetooth modules on.)

Hope this helps a lot of people with same problem.

Punch Card
Message 35 of 128 (1,352 Views)

[ Edited ]

Unchecking Thinkpad Power Manager from the Startup list in MSCONFIG did the trick for me too.  I don't have the hiccup / stuttering for audio when after waking from sleep.

Unchecking it makes PWMTR64V.DLL (PwrMgrBkGndMonitor) not load it seems like from the source path for the startup command. 

The actual Thinkpad Power Manager process seems to be called ibmpmsvc.exe.  I can still use the Power Manager's options such as dimming the screen when at a lock screen for example with the offending startup .dll unchecked (though as mentioned by kns7977, opening Power Manager from the taskbar causes the stuttering but only when loading the application and applying changes to power settings).

Thank you. 

I wonder if the offending startup .dll is still residing in the computer for those who uninstalled Power Manager.

Paper Tape
Message 36 of 128 (1,340 Views)

Thank you for the feedback.
In addition, Not only it stutters when opening the power manager application/applying changes, but also when just making power manager to appear on the taskbar.
So it's best to not start the power manager and also keep the power manager out of the taskbar.
(right click on the taskbar - toolbars - uncheck power manager)
Blue Screen Again
Message 37 of 128 (1,312 Views)

That's good and all but when are we going to get a real fix? I want to use my power manager and play videos.

Blue Screen Again
Message 38 of 128 (1,186 Views)

I can confirm that turn off power manager signifincantly reduces the stuttering issue. However, with it off,  I must add that my computer is now acting a little funky. Load times are longer and my computer has now frozen on my twice, both times coming out of sleep.

Need a fix please.

Paper Tape
Message 39 of 128 (1,144 Views)

I'm also experiencing the audio problem. I've also found that disabling the thinkpad power manager helped the issue. It still happens at times even when the resources used are low. I hope there is a fix soon. 

Punch Card
Message 40 of 128 (1,081 Views)

I am also experiencing the stuttering audio on my new x120e.  I noticed it would happen every time the Power Manager task bar icon updated with the estimated time of battery usage remaining.  Disabling the Power Manager via msconfig does seem to help the issue but now the HUD windows no longer appear when I adjust volume or brightness settings.  Also I notice that the cpu fan is always on full blast and the battery life seems a little worse.  I imagine these things were all being controlled by the power manager which is no longer active.

I am really hoping lenovo can address this issue soon with a software update... Thanks!

x220 | 4286-CTO | i5-2520M | 8Gb G.Skill | OCZ SSD
Win 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit
Top kudoed Authors