Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shinymoon
Punch Card
Views: 8,615
Message 1 of 32

X1 Carbon 5th gen - Sierra EM7455 WWAN - SIM not recognised

Hi all,

I just received my new X1 Carbon 2017 (20HR) a few days ago, but am struggling with the WWAN.

• Windows 10
  • Tried 3 different SIM cards (2 different providers), which all work fine on a mobile phone
  • Sierra EM7455 looks fine in Device Manager
  • Uninstalled Sierra drivers and reinstalled (current ver 10.0.14393.0)
  • (Re)installed the only related package I could find on Lenovo's website (Sierra Wireless EM7455 Software for Windows 10 (64-bit) - ThinkPad X1 Carbon (Machine Type 20HQ, 20H...
  • Downloaded the latest drivers and firmware from Sierra's website, however I obviously already had the latest as it did not install anything.

... no luck. Diagnostics confirm "No SIM card inserted".

Since there is only one way to insert the SIM, I am sure it is inserted correctly.

Any suggestions...? Would be such a pity if it is a defect on a brand new laptop...

Shinymoon
Punch Card
Views: 8,527
Message 2 of 32

Re: X1 Carbon 5th gen - Sierra EM7455 WWAN - SIM not recognised

Ok, news:

It smells like software issue!

Just before I was about to give up and call Lenovo warranty support, I tried the the 2 things I downloaded from Sierra's website:

1. USB Drivers Build 4581 (did not install newer drivers, obviously latest already installed)

2. Generic Firmware (PTCRB Approved & GCF) SWI9X30C_02.20.03.00

The second doesn't really do anything either, it goes like this...:

Sierra.PNG .... HOWEVER (!!), right after that process, the SIM is suddenly recognised and the WWAN start functioning properly!

As soon as you remove the SIM and insert it again - "Insert SIM".

You run the firmware updater again - Voila!!

Thoughts?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 8,523
Message 3 of 32

Hello and welcome

Obviously, fw updater resets wwan card state, settings. That resolves issue temporarely.

I'll try to help a bit later.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

awharton
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,480
Message 4 of 32

Had the same issue - the SIM will only get recognised if you shutdown (not restart) and then start the laptop.  Once it is recognised it will stay that way until you remove it.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 8,474
Message 5 of 32

Guys,

tell me, please, whether Sierra drivers from Lenovo site are installed? What's the version of the package (it's listed on the download page)? OP mentioned that version in the 1st post. Could you remove them from the system completely to recognise the source of issue - hardware (i.e.modem firmware) or manufacturer drivers related? Of course, there is a chance win10 causes issue. Then test the wwan modem. Win10 supports it natively w/out manufacturer' drivers installed. Sierra drivers might be needed later, to manage the modem settings or configuration, to update the firmware.

One more question. Is the wwan modem factory installed?

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Shinymoon
Punch Card
Views: 8,470
Message 6 of 32

Factory installed WWAN.

It did not work with a "virgin" Windows 10, no drivers from Sierra installed (I started trying that in order to resolve the issue).

To put it like this:

1. Unpacked laptop

2. Ran Windows updates

3. Ran Lenovo Companion Updates (non WWAN-related found/installed)

4. Put the SIM in - brick wall

5. Tried 2 other SIMs - brick wall

6. Started nudging here and there (ref. 1st post) until I several hours later discovered a way to make it work. No drivers or firmware updated in the process

Let me know what information you need and I am happy to supply. One thing is for sure - something is not right.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 8,450
Message 7 of 32

No doubt, that's ubnormally for new laptop.

What's the BIOS version in the laptops? Is it initial one from the factory or updated?

Check out current fw version in the modem:
- open the command prompt window, copy, past and execute the following string
netsh mbn sh cap int=*

Show its output (remove or point over Hardware ID value).

Unfortunately, the carrier provisioning PRI file version will not be shown above. Especially its current value is needed while the sim card isn't recognised. To do that we should to install Sierra' drivers from Lenovo site. But there is (seems) another trouble, its content looks a bit strange. What was the result of the drivers package (in the 1st post linked) installation?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 8,445
Message 8 of 32

One more question for both of you, guys:
what's the Machine-Type of the laptops?

Shinymoon
Punch Card
Views: 8,442
Message 9 of 32

"What's the BIOS version in the laptops? Is it initial one from the factory or updated?"

Factory installed; N1MET29W (1.14)

"Check out current fw version in the modem:"

Sierra-firm.PNG

"What was the result of the drivers package in the 1st post installation? "

This one is hard to answer without the knowledge about what it was supposed to do... Smiley Happy

All I can say is it installed properly and did not update any drivers, neither helped or influenced the issue in any way... at least as far as I can tell.

Machine-Type: 20HR

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 8,411
Message 10 of 32

Ok, thanks.

The fw is the recent.

Do you replace the sim card while the laptop is powered off completely, using the Shift key? Is the sim card visible and does the wwan modem work properly after the laptop cold start, reboot, resume?

Depending on your answers we'll determine further steps, whether to install Sierra' drivers and so on.

I'd suggest to update the BIOS, to discard its influence. The best way to do that is to use external CD or prepare USB flash drive with EFI tools. There is a tool to create that drive within the BIOS update package. You have to extract it - confirm to save the files extracted at the first installation stage once package is launched and cancel the real BIOS update for the 2nd request.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors