Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Lenovo Staff
Message 11 of 16 (309 Views)

Re: FREEBY S30

After checking on this, things are moving along as far as I can tell.  The issue is your original prize was an E30 system....which is a system that has been out for a while with a pretty short lead time.  When your prize was graciously upgraded to a S30 system, it hit right around the time of S30 launch.  As lead times tend to be longer right after launch of new platforms and the fact that this drove a completely new order, it will take a bit of time to fulfill that order.

Please try to be patient...after all, you did get a free upgraded system as your prize Smiley Happy

Fanfold Paper
Message 12 of 16 (302 Views)

[ Edited ]

Well now - things are really looking up.  I have just talked to Bryan, Mgr. of ThinkStation systems, and he has dropped my blood pressure about 200 points. Smiley Surprised)

Knowing what is going on and understanding what Lenovo is going through to launch what amounts to a new product explains most everthing.  My understanding is that approx. mid-June is a reasonable time frame for arrival of the hardware.

Knowledge is a good thing.  Thanks a bunch for the call Bryan.

Bob Price

A*G*M

Moderator note; full name of Lenovo employee edited in accordance with the Forum Rules

Fanfold Paper
Message 13 of 16 (300 Views)

Can someone please tell me whether the S30 power supply has Power Factor Correction capability?  It makes a big difference in the type of UPS needed to protect the system from power surges etc.

Specifically, the folks at APC/Schneider tell me that a BR1000G, rated at 600W/1000VA will give me four minutes to shut down the system, including the monitor, if the power goes off.  Price $180

But if the S30 power supply has PFC built in I will need a Smart-UPS SMT-1000 rated at 670W/1000VA and they cost $479. 

Thanks a bunch.

Bob Price

A*G*M

Fanfold Paper
Message 14 of 16 (286 Views)

[ Edited ]

Well things have changed dramatically.-

A got a call from Bryan explaining what was causing the delay in shipping the S30.  The hardware is now scheduled to ship the week of 11 June.

Happiness is a phone call.

Bob Price

A*G*M

Lenovo Staff
Message 15 of 16 (264 Views)

The S30 PSU has active PFC.  You'll have more than 4 minutes of life on a 1000VA backup....the 4 mins must be if the load were a constant 600W, which it won't be. 

I'm not sure why they're telling you to buy a higher end UPS because of PFC....first I've ever heard of such a thing.

Punch Card
Message 16 of 16 (128 Views)

This is an old thread but I'm curious as to the details of why the E30 was not suitable. Thanks

Top kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count