Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto E Phonesmoto e (2020)
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

10-05-2018

United States of America

5 Signins

71 Page Views

• Views: 71
  • Message 1 of 4

Running out of memory, again

2021-07-19, 18:53 PM

A recurrent problem with Android that I never have figured out.

My Moto E4 16GB was filling with apps, so I upgraded to a Moto E (E7 / 2020) 32GB which held more, but recently Google apps are giving me warnings of the device being low on space. Research appears to indicate that a SD card is not available for apps unless it's formatted as internal instead of portable. So, after my last backup, I reformatted the 32GB SD card as Internal, but it didn't seem to help at all, as I expected it would.

Any other ideas? 

If I can't resolve this, I'm contemplating upgrading to a Moto G series, but my Kardia Mobile only shows support for

Motorola Moto G9 Play (Android 10.0)
Motorola Moto G8 Plus (Android 9.0.0)
Motorola Moto G5 Plus (Android 8.1.0)
Motorola Moto G Gen 2 (Android 6.0)

and they all look obsolete, except perhaps the Moto G9 Play, and I can't find a Moto G9 Play, let alone one with more than 32GB.

FYI: I like my Moto E4 (with front fingerprint reader and easier silence all apps) better than my Moto E (E7 / 2020), but the E4 ran out of app room and Android 7 is out of date. I keep it solely to run my Kardia Mobile on as the Moto E (E7 / 2020) will run the app, but won't communicate with the Kardia Mobile device.

Options

1992 Posts

11-24-2020

India

210 Signins

22055 Page Views

• Views: 22055
  • Message 2 of 4

Re:Running out of memory, again

2021-07-20, 9:14 AM

Hi Dave-B

Thanks for writing to us. Sorry to know about this. Let me check and help you here. Sorry to say not all applications are designed/developed to work with SD card storage or do not have permission to move to SD card storage. Few applications need internal storage to work. I would suggest you try clearing all application Cache/Data and check. To clear the app cache and data, go to Setting>> Apps and Notifications>>See all Apps >>Particular Application>>Force stop>> Click ok>> storage >>Clear cache/data or you can use the clean section of Google Files (AKA Filed Go) to clean junk files. Once you clear the junk/Cache files, please restart the phone and check. And uninstall the unused applications. I hope that helps. Also, click the link here for instructions to free up the storage space in Android devices. 

Thanks

Sunitha

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up icon on the bottom right to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

4 Posts

10-05-2018

United States of America

5 Signins

71 Page Views

• Views: 71
  • Message 3 of 4

2021-07-20, 16:26 PM

I have previously cleared cache, etc. It doesn't free much space.

After formatting the SD card as Internal, does one still need to move apps to the SD?

I was under the impression formatting the SD card as Internal turned it into a continuous extension of the internal memory.

For example, my original setup:

Internal 32GB (for apps etc)

SD 32GB (assigned camera save to SD; copied music, etc to SD)

Reformatted SD as Internal:

Internal 32GB + SD 32GB = 64GB (for apps etc)

Device is currently showing; Storage -> Device Storage:

31.13GB Total used of 63.26GB

Internal shared storage: 30.09GB used of 32.00GB

SD card: 1.04GB used of 31.26GB

So the above appears to be working as I expected with SD card formatted Internal and now a part of combined 32+32=64GB storage.

I'm now thinking, it may be only Google apps that are telling me I'm running out of space (Photos; Files, etc). I'm not sure I've had any warnings from Android or Moto. Is it possible the Google apps are confused and/or lying to me?

Options

1992 Posts

11-24-2020

India

210 Signins

22055 Page Views

• Views: 22055
  • Message 4 of 4

2021-07-21, 15:09 PM

Hi Dave-B

Thank you for trying!  I would like to inform you that the internal storage is not only for apps, some amount of the storage is taken by the operating system to run the applications. I would suggest you go through the link here and follow the “Using your card as Internal Storage” main I hope that helps. I would suggest you try moving the application to the SD card(Settings>>App & notification>>See all apps>>Tap on the app that you want to move>>Storage>>Tap Move to SD Card. The button will be grayed out while the app moves) and check. If there's no Move to SD Card option, the app cannot be moved. I hope the given information helps! 

Thanks

Sunitha

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up icon on the bottom right to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms