Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto E Phonesmoto e7 power
All Forum Topics
Options

62 Posts

02-07-2018

Australia

50 Signins

302 Page Views

• Views: 302
  • Message 1 of 6

Appn won't recognise a wifi envirnomet on 2nd or later uses on E7, works fine on g10.

2021-09-08, 2:22 AM

This is a story about an app (same version, 1.12.0) that works fine on a new moto g10 phone, but fails (no wifi signal available) after at least 1 and sometimes several successful uses on a new e7 power phone.  the E7 is the oldest at 2 months. The same version of the app is on both phones. What I am looking for is a reason why (setting missed?) the app fails on the E7 - something I can do to fix erratic performance.  The details follow.

Purpose of the App

During the covid19 pandemic the local state government developed an application (check-in Qld, available from the Play store) that uses QR codes to populate a data base of where you have been in public, for contact tracing if an infected person has been in the same place.  Every business is required to post their code at entry so the app can use the phone camera to scan it and send the data to the database via a wifi signal.

In normal use on most phones, the app can be left running and used for multiple entries one after the other without needing to close and re-start the app for every scan event.

Whats happening

The E7 phone makes/receives very few calls, and is normally just left on when not in use:  battery is sufficient for several days continuous usage like this before getting to about 65% and needing a charge.

For the last few days, using the app works successfully on the first use of the day, sometimes several uses before failing.  Using the app, the camera detects the QR code and then the app fails.  The failure is reported as " no wifi available", even tho the settings on the phone confirm that wifi is on, and that there are detected wifi networks, including free, in the environment:  normally, a shopping centre.  Closing and re-starting the app does not change this fail result.  Re-starting the phone does - doing this puts the app back in working condition.

For comparison, the motog10 phone does NOT have this issue - it works as expected on repeat usage.

It seems the E7 is locking up somehow, after working as expected.  Why is the E7 phone mis-behaving like this??

OS details

E7 power - running android 10, fully updated, last is 5 April 2021

G10 - running android 11, fully updates, last is 1 July 2021.

Answer
Options

62 Posts

02-07-2018

Australia

50 Signins

302 Page Views

Re:Appn won't recognise a wifi envirnomet on 2nd or later uses on E7, works fine on g10.

2021-09-23, 6:55 AM

Hi Mary,

Update time.

My remarks about closing the app completely look to have been on the money:  left idling, waiting for the next use, there seems to be a timeout of some form which leads to the reported error on next use.  Using it today (entering a number of stores in a mall one after the other in reasonable succession over about 2 hours), shutting the app completely on the affected phone when a single use was completed and re-starting it from cold on next use seems to work without the wifi error report.

Meanwhile, I had complained to the govt department which issued the app, and recently received an email from them which stated in part:

"We appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback on the functionality of the app. We are aware of the “no internet” issue affecting some users and are working to resolve this as soon as we can. The next release of the app will fix this and is expected to be released soon, please keep an eye on the app store for the update.

In the interim force closing the app may assist with resolving the error."

They provided instructions about forcing an app stop when the condition occurred, but closing it after each use seems to avoid the need for that.

And the next version of the app was today 23 Sep released via the app store:  it's been applied to both e7 (android 10) and g10 (android 11) phones, and I will advise if it fixes the problem on the e7.

Replies(5)
Options

1550 Posts

02-18-2019

United States of America

156 Signins

15049 Page Views

• Views: 15049
  • Message 2 of 6

Re:Appn won't recognise a wifi envirnomet on 2nd or later uses on E7, works fine on g10.

2021-09-08, 21:47 PM

Hi @ Davidk13 ,

Sorry to hear this. I'd be glad to help.

I will be gathering additional information by asking a few questions. This will help us investigate this further.

1. When this is happening, did you check if the phone is showing "Connected" in Settings > Network & internet > Wi-Fi when the app is in use?

2. Did you try rebooting the phone? 

3. Can you also uninstall and reinstall the app?

Regards,
Mary
Motorola Support

Did someone help you today? Press the Thumbs up icon on the bottom right thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

62 Posts

02-07-2018

Australia

50 Signins

302 Page Views

• Message 3 of 6

2021-09-09, 7:39 AM

Hi Mary,

The e7 is my wife's phone - who is not tech literate (really an understatement: tapping instead of pressing hard is an extended class, and the concept of checking one thing at a time is difficult:  she usually wants to use it when its happening and we had a stand-up argument today when I tried to get the phone to do a check on the wifi as you suggested), and the frequency of use varies a lot - intensively for several days a week, then nothing for the rest of the week.

That said, what I have been able to establish is:

- getting all the apps that are standard and the ones she uses "up to date" does not improve the situation - the check-in app works and then fails 'no wifi detected' after a few uses.  The actual problem may not be wifi at all but that is the error message presented.

- re-boot of phone = re-start; works, mentioned in the problem outline.

- the OS android 10 was last updated as part of the phone setup on 1 july.  There's no sub-version detail, but the actual software (settings/system/updates) is QOL30.288-30, security patch 5 April 2021, and that is the latest available.

This 'failure' is only recent - it seemed to work fine for the 1st 4-5 weeks after purchase (the phone is only 2 months old, and supposedly was only released for sale last february), and I have the impression that something in the updates a few weeks back has created this.  No idea what.

A comparison of the phone network settings (E7 vs g10) shows they are both the same, however the g10 is android 11 and obviously a different software build.

My current plan is to:

- get wife to stop the app after the 1st successful use (instead of leaving it in 'idle' waiting for the next use) and start it again for the next use.  repeat. personal friction likely but it's  a lot easier than re-booting the phone.

- when it happens - do the wifi check you advise.

- failing all that, if the problem persists, re-install the app.

Results TBA. 

If there is anything  you can suggest that I'm not taking account of please advise.

David

Options

1550 Posts

02-18-2019

United States of America

156 Signins

15049 Page Views

• Message 4 of 6

2021-09-22, 14:27 PM

@ Davidk13 wrote:

Hi Mary,

The e7 is my wife's phone - who is not tech literate (really an understatement: tapping instead of pressing hard is an extended class, and the concept of checking one thing at a time is difficult:  she usually wants to use it when its happening and we had a stand-up argument today when I tried to get the phone to do a check on the wifi as you suggested), and the frequency of use varies a lot - intensively for several days a week, then nothing for the rest of the week.

That said, what I have been able to establish is:

- getting all the apps that are standard and the ones she uses "up to date" does not improve the situation - the check-in app works and then fails 'no wifi detected' after a few uses.  The actual problem may not be wifi at all but that is the error message presented.

- re-boot of phone = re-start; works, mentioned in the problem outline.

- the OS android 10 was last updated as part of the phone setup on 1 july.  There's no sub-version detail, but the actual software (settings/system/updates) is QOL30.288-30, security patch 5 April 2021, and that is the latest available.

This 'failure' is only recent - it seemed to work fine for the 1st 4-5 weeks after purchase (the phone is only 2 months old, and supposedly was only released for sale last february), and I have the impression that something in the updates a few weeks back has created this.  No idea what.

A comparison of the phone network settings (E7 vs g10) shows they are both the same, however the g10 is android 11 and obviously a different software build.

My current plan is to:

- get wife to stop the app after the 1st successful use (instead of leaving it in 'idle' waiting for the next use) and start it again for the next use.  repeat. personal friction likely but it's  a lot easier than re-booting the phone.

- when it happens - do the wifi check you advise.

- failing all that, if the problem persists, re-install the app.

Results TBA. 

If there is anything  you can suggest that I'm not taking account of please advise.

David

Hi  @ Davidk13 ,

Sorry for getting back to you just now. I would like to check with you to see how's the Wi-Fi since the last time we talked. Let us know.

Regards,
Mary
Motorola Support

Did someone help you today? Press the Thumbs up icon on the bottom right thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Answer
Options

62 Posts

02-07-2018

Australia

50 Signins

302 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2021-09-23, 6:55 AM

Hi Mary,

Update time.

My remarks about closing the app completely look to have been on the money:  left idling, waiting for the next use, there seems to be a timeout of some form which leads to the reported error on next use.  Using it today (entering a number of stores in a mall one after the other in reasonable succession over about 2 hours), shutting the app completely on the affected phone when a single use was completed and re-starting it from cold on next use seems to work without the wifi error report.

Meanwhile, I had complained to the govt department which issued the app, and recently received an email from them which stated in part:

"We appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback on the functionality of the app. We are aware of the “no internet” issue affecting some users and are working to resolve this as soon as we can. The next release of the app will fix this and is expected to be released soon, please keep an eye on the app store for the update.

They provided instructions about forcing an app stop when the condition occurred, but closing it after each use seems to avoid the need for that.

And the next version of the app was today 23 Sep released via the app store:  it's been applied to both e7 (android 10) and g10 (android 11) phones, and I will advise if it fixes the problem on the e7.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

1550 Posts

02-18-2019

United States of America

156 Signins

15049 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

2021-09-23, 18:23 PM

@ Davidk13 wrote:

Hi Mary,

Update time.

Hi  @ Davidk13 ,

I appreciate the update. I'm glad the app developers were able to look into this. Please don't hesitate to post again in case you need help.

Regards,
Mary
Motorola Support

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms