CH

8 Signins

45 Page Views

• Views: 45
  • Message 1 of 6

SD Card as internal storage

2020-08-29, 11:03 AM

Hi,

I've recently bought the moto g 5G plus and I want to use an SD card as internal storage. The option isn't here sadly. I've taken a look at the user manual and it is said that : "You can't store apps on the SD card because it is portable storage.". I don't agree with this statement because one of my family member has a moto g6 plus and he can choose what he want to do with his SD card (internal or external memory). Will this option be unlocked in future updates or is there a way to unlock it without losing my warranty?

Have a nice day

Solved! See the solution
Options

1951 Posts

10-16-2018

GB

1747 Signins

26863 Page Views

• Views: 26863
  • Message 2 of 6

Re:SD Card as internal storage

2020-08-30, 11:43 AM

To make an SD card Internal Storage

Insert SD card into SD slot.

Phone settings>Storage and find the option on the SD card to Format as Internal.

Once done you now need the 2nd part of the operation in these settings called,"Migrate". This will move as much data as it can over to the SD card. Some apps may not work and or may need re-installing fresh.

Taking the above into account users should treat the SD card as now part of the phone and backup all data on the SD card and Phone on a Regular basis to either the Cloud or another Device like a Laptop/Tablet etc.

Photos are one of the most common and precious pieces of data so if you have Home WiFi or can get to free WiFi like at ASDA supermarkets or Tesco (If you have a free club card)  in the UK and you should install and get used to using the free,"Google Photos",

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.photos&hl=en_GB

and then sync it to backup the photos. These can be viewed in the App or online here,

https://photos.google.com

Warning! The newer SDXC type cards may have problems with adoptive Storage but may work OK. If possible stick to Standard ones like Sandisk/Kingston Ultra Micro SD SDHC TF Mem Class 10
If buying online I trust Amazon more than eBay. Do Not buy non-branded cheap cards as they will fail.

HTH :)

Options

7 Posts

08-30-2020

GB

12 Signins

90 Page Views

• Views: 90
  • Message 3 of 6

2020-08-31, 13:21 PM

I'm interested in the idea of formatting an SD card as internal storage but, one question, can you unmount the SD card if you need to at a later date? 

Options

2129 Posts

03-11-2019

US

603 Signins

43490 Page Views

• Views: 43490
  • Message 4 of 6

2020-09-02, 18:13 PM

Hi JoViatrix,

Thank you for bringing that to our attention. The Moto G 5G Plus does not support the SD card as internal storage. It can only be used as internal storage. Please let me know if you have a question or clarification.

Best regards,
Zeke
Motorola Support

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

8 Posts

11-12-2013

GB

21 Signins

117 Page Views

• Views: 117
  • Message 5 of 6

2020-09-03, 1:31 AM

Hi

It can be enabled by formatting the sdcard to EXT format (on your pc).  Once you insert the sdard back into your phone it will give you the option to format as internal storage.  Works perfectly. No idea why Motorola are hiding this function from the menu.  You can google instructions or if you can't find them let me know and I'll find them for you.

Options

2 Posts

08-29-2020

CH

8 Signins

45 Page Views

• Views: 45
  • Message 6 of 6

2020-09-06, 18:25 PM

Thx you all for your answers, especially to rdpuk65. I've finally found the solution to my problem. Do it at your own risk. There it is:

1. Enable developers mod on your phone by going in "Settings" -> "about this phone" and tap 7 times on build number.
  2. Go to "Settings" -> "system" -> "advanced settings" -> "developers option" and enable usb debugging.
  3. Connect you phone to your computer.
  4. BACKUP YOUR DATA FIRST. What you will do will erase your sd card.
  5. Download the motorola drivers for your phone here and install them (I dont know if you really need this but I haven't tested without them).
  6. Download the Android SDK for your platform here an unzip it.
  7. Open a shell in the folder where you've dropped the sdk files.
  8. Your phone must be in "No data transfer" mod.
  9. Tap the command "./adb shell" in shell. A message will appear on the screen of your phone. Accept the usb debugging. If you have an error after this command, retry this step.
  10. Tap "sm list-disks" to find the disk number of your sd card (for example I have "disk:179,0").
  11. Now, you will use the command "sm partition" to FORMAT your sd card. You have two choices:
  • you format your whole sd card to internal storage by typing "sm partition disk:YOURDISKNUMBER private
  • you create a mix between internal and external storage by typing "sm partition disk:YOURDISKNUMBER mixed RATIO"

For example, I format my sd card 50% percent internal with this command : "sm partition disk:179,0 mixed 50"

12. Finally, disable usb debugging on your device (and dev mod if you want)

ENJOY YOUR SD CARD! Here is the final result with half of the sd card as internal storage in the attached screenshot.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete