Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G Phonesmoto g 5G plus
All Forum Topics
Options

6 Posts

07-09-2020

Thailand

4 Signins

40 Page Views

• Views: 40
  • Message 1 of 10

USB-C DP Alt / Desktop Mode / Secure Startup

2021-01-25, 8:34 AM

Hello Moto team,

Happy New Year! Hope you guys are doing well.

Moto G 5G Plus is very interesting device and I would like to buy it replacing my Galaxy S10e.

But I have concerns on the availability of the following features:

- USB-C DP Alt (ability to use type C to HDMI adapter)

- Desktop mode (similar to Samsung DeX) with USB-C to USB-A hub to support USB keyboard and mouse

- Secure Startup (should be part of DBE (Disk-Based Encryption) using 6-digit or greater numeric PIN on phone startup) so I can enroll this Moto G 5G Plus with my company's MDM

I have been trying to find technical specs and online reviews about those features but cannot find one.

I did drop the similar questions to Motorola's official FB page but never get any reply.

Looking forward to the clarification soon.

Answer
Options

3556 Posts

03-11-2019

United States of America

719 Signins

55425 Page Views

• Views: 55425

Re:USB-C DP Alt / Desktop Mode / Secure Startup

2021-01-25, 19:39 PM

Hi Diffie,

We would like to help you with this. The Moto G 5G Plus has no HDMI support.  There is also no Desktop mode but can support OTG to use Mouse and Keyboard.  We try to remain as close to stock Android as possible. That being said Stock Android does not support Full Disk Encryption anymore as they have moved to default of File Based Encryption so there is no way to set a boot-pin for "secure boot".

Best regards,
Zeke
Motorola Support

Did someone help you today? Press the Thumbs up icon on the bottom right thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Replies(9)
Options

11 Posts

01-16-2021

France

7 Signins

115 Page Views

• Views: 115
  • Message 2 of 10

2021-01-25, 8:40 AM
better keep the samsung  :) 
Options

6 Posts

07-09-2020

Thailand

4 Signins

40 Page Views

• Message 3 of 10

2021-01-25, 8:49 AM

My S10e is Exynos one.

Despite being "e" (essential) model with smaller battery capacity compared to other phones, Exynos is far behind SnapDragon in several areas especially poor heat/temp control , power management, and mobile network connectivity.

But One UI is very functional and useful, and my device should be getting Android 11 in a month or two, which is great.

I want to jump into 5G as it is available in my country (Thailand) now due to the pandemic and I have to WFH - which I rely on mobile data.

I used to own Moto X4 for a short time and it is great phone, but that time I want a smaller one.

Now I have changed my mind :-D

Options

11 Posts

01-16-2021

France

7 Signins

115 Page Views

• Views: 115
  • Message 4 of 10

2021-01-25, 9:25 AM

I want to jump into 5G as it is available in my country (Thailand) now due to the pandemic and I have to WFH - which I rely on mobile data.

5G work or not if motorola want build a rom for this ..... 

ex : https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/moto-g-5G-plus/5G-on-Vodafone-Ireland/m-p/5061732

We do not currently support 5G on any carriers in Ireland, though this may change in the future. We always recommend confirming connectivity with your carrier before purchase. 

Best regards,
Zeke
Motorola Support

.... same for me in France !

motorola sale 5G phone , with no 5G ^^^  

i am thinking to return it to amazon!

Answer
Options

3556 Posts

03-11-2019

United States of America

719 Signins

55425 Page Views

• Message 5 of 10

2021-01-25, 19:39 PM

Hi Diffie,

We would like to help you with this. The Moto G 5G Plus has no HDMI support.  There is also no Desktop mode but can support OTG to use Mouse and Keyboard.  We try to remain as close to stock Android as possible. That being said Stock Android does not support Full Disk Encryption anymore as they have moved to default of File Based Encryption so there is no way to set a boot-pin for "secure boot".

Best regards,
Zeke
Motorola Support

Did someone help you today? Press the Thumbs up icon on the bottom right thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

6 Posts

07-09-2020

Thailand

4 Signins

40 Page Views

• Message 6 of 10

2021-01-26, 4:41 AM

@ papa73 wrote:

5G work or not if motorola want build a rom for this ..... 

ex : https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/moto-g-5G-plus/5G-on-Vodafone-Ireland/m-p/5061732

We do not currently support 5G on any carriers in Ireland, though this may change in the future. We always recommend confirming connectivity with your carrier before purchase. 

Best regards,
Zeke
Motorola Support

.... same for me in France !

motorola sale 5G phone , with no 5G ^^^  

i am thinking to return it to amazon!

There are some people use moto g 5G plus in Thailand and get the 5G working and proved with speedtest results, so it works in Thailand officially.

But with reply from Agent Zeke, it lacks many features I use, so I may need to wait for future models that might have those features.

Options

6 Posts

07-09-2020

Thailand

4 Signins

40 Page Views

• Message 7 of 10

2021-01-26, 4:45 AM

@ Agent_Zeke wrote:

Hi Diffie,

Best regards,
Zeke
Motorola Support

Kudos @Agent_Zeke for your clarification.

Your reply makes sense in terms of close-to-stock-Android implementation.

I may wait for future model(s) that might have those features, or I may buy this one as my personal hotspot purposes only.

BTW, I cannot give you thumb up on your comment with Chrome on Mac, not sure if my browser is broken or the community board feature is not working...

Options

3556 Posts

03-11-2019

United States of America

719 Signins

55425 Page Views

• Message 8 of 10

2021-01-26, 17:41 PM

@ Diffie wrote:

BTW, I cannot give you thumb up on your comment with Chrome on Mac, not sure if my browser is broken or the community board feature is not working...

We're currently looking into that. We also appreciate your feedback that you provided on your previous messages and make sure that we pass it along to our team. 

Best regards,
Zeke
Motorola Support

Options

13002 Posts

03-05-2018

United States of America

1250 Signins

170160 Page Views

• Views: 170160
  • Message 9 of 10

2021-02-18, 19:30 PM

Hi Diffie

Just saw this post, as for the 5G in Thailand, the phone does not currently support 5G in Thailand, it will get support for the carrier Truemove in a future software update. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Click the thumbs up button to thank them with a Kudo!

Options

6 Posts

07-09-2020

Thailand

4 Signins

40 Page Views

• Message 10 of 10

2021-02-19, 2:48 AM

@ Agent_Rich wrote:

Hi Diffie

Just saw this post, as for the 5G in Thailand, the phone does not currently support 5G in Thailand, it will get support for the carrier Truemove in a future software update. Thanks.

Thanks @Agent_Rich for your follow up reply and confirmation on this.

Personally, Moto g 5G plus is less tempting after Moto edge S had been released :D

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)