10-16-2020

US

2 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 1 of 5

security updates

2020-10-16, 12:25 PM

I currently use a Moto G5+ and updates stopped at 8.1.  I understand that I am not getting new android features of newer OS releases, but should I be concerned about not getting the security updates?  Not a techie so don't understand the real world ramifications.  If I should be concerned is there an easy fix short of a new phone?  Should I decide to get a new phone I guess manufacturer update commitments are important if the answer to my base question is that there are real world security concerns with no longer receiving updates and should not plan on keeping a phone for longer than that?  Buy for short term and dispose?  That would mean for me don't bother paying "flagship" money if not a long term investment - was thinking of an upgrade in the next year anyway to get better cameras.

Options

445 Posts

08-15-2020

GB

209 Signins

4690 Page Views

• Views: 4690
  • Message 2 of 5

Re:security updates

2020-10-16, 12:40 PM

8.1 is a good version. Later Android versions often (not always) need more up-to-date hardware or increased memory or power to run. Phone development is pretty hectic and a phone can become a dinosaur in a short timeframe.

Your choice as to spend large and keep longer or spend less and replace more often. Currently, I do the latter and get a new phone every year so I always have an up to date phone plus a year older phone which can be used as a backup. My two or three year old phone gets passed on.

Real world likelihood of a security breach on your phone, practically zero I would say. Google Play services look out for your apps and you should ensure you have a good anti-malware app installed. Then take sensible precautions like for everyone - don't open attachments or links in emails unless you can trust them and be careful which websites you use.

# I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position. #
Options

2196 Posts

03-11-2019

US

608 Signins

44055 Page Views

• Views: 44055
  • Message 3 of 5

2020-10-16, 12:48 PM

Hi bobd87,

I have moved your post to the Moto G5 Plus community since this phone is different from the newer Moto G 5G Plus. We understand your concern with our software updates. Like all phone manufacturers, Motorola provides security updates for an extended, but not indefinite period of time. Most phones receive updates for one or two years, with Android One devices getting them for three years. This product has received all the planned security updates it is expected to receive. 

Best regards,
Zeke
Motorola Support

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

1972 Posts

10-16-2018

GB

1755 Signins

27013 Page Views

• Views: 27013
  • Message 4 of 5

2020-10-16, 19:03 PM

I wouldn't worry too much but install a good free Anti-Virus app just in case. Sophos Intercept is excellent and ad-free,

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sophos.smsec&hl=en_GB

Eset is also very good and has a,"Pro" version if required,

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.eset.ems2.gp&hl=en_GB

HTH :)

Options

2 Posts

10-16-2020

US

2 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 5 of 5

2020-10-22, 13:30 PM

Thank you

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete