Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G Phonesmoto g 5G
All Forum Topics
Options

7 Posts

01-19-2021

India

8 Signins

85 Page Views

• Views: 85
  • Message 1 of 17

Screen flickers at lowest brightness

2021-01-19, 9:55 AM

I am facing this issue since the day of purchase.

Device : Moto g 5G

Courntry : India

Problem : The screen backlight appears to be slightly flickering (increasing and decreasing brightness) when set to lowest brightness, regardless of the auto brightness setting (on or off). This appears to be dependent on what is being displayed on the screen though. It is most visible on a white background with some text on it (e.g. - reading an ebook, the settings home page, or when the notification toggles are expanded). It is not at all visible in darker screens like viewing a darker photo, or photos with lots of colours.

It appears to be a software issue because it appears to be very dependent on what is being displayed on the screen, and not at all dependent on the overall power consumption of the device. I tried running a CPU stress test in the background and immediately switched to a full white screen, but the flickering wasn't there. then I opened a screenshot of a white page with some text and grey shades on it, and the flickering appeared.

Can anyone confirm if this is happening on their device too?

One particular page where this effect is most reproducible is - Settings > Sound > Advanced > Phone ringtone.

When the list of the tones come up, make sure the screen is set to the lowest brightness and dark mode is off. look carefully at the screen, the backlight will appear to be flickering. You might also notice this when casually browsing other apps with a white background with text on it.

Alternatively, try viewing the attached screenshot in your moto g 5g device in full screen. This image should also trigger the flickering at lowest brightness and dark mode off.

Answer
Options

3556 Posts

03-11-2019

United States of America

719 Signins

55425 Page Views

• Views: 55425

Re:Screen flickers at lowest brightness

2021-01-29, 15:01 PM

Hi aditya446,

Thanks for sharing all the details and reports. We will have improvements for low light screen performance in a future update.

Best regards,
Zeke
Motorola Support

Did someone help you today? Press the Thumbs up icon on the bottom right thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Replies(16)
Options

14 Posts

02-10-2018

India

17 Signins

144 Page Views

• Views: 144
  • Message 2 of 17

Screen flickers at lowest brightness

2021-01-19, 10:52 AM
I tried what u said but it doesn't appear on my unit. While decreasing or increasing it does flicker but is stable once being set.
Abhishek Bharti
Options

7 Posts

01-19-2021

India

8 Signins

85 Page Views

• Message 3 of 17

2021-01-19, 11:05 AM

Yes at times it is a little difficult to spot. Also this doesn't happen all the time, as I said. 

Now that u know that this is a thing, consider keeping an eye out for this whenever the screen is set at the lowest brightness, and dark mode is OFF. You might see it at sometime else or on some other page. Please update this thread if u see this in future.

Options

14 Posts

02-10-2018

India

17 Signins

144 Page Views

• Views: 144
  • Message 4 of 17

2021-01-19, 11:33 AM
Ok will do. Did u face issue with Bluetooth? I had to disable audio effects for it to work.
Abhishek Bharti
Options

7 Posts

01-19-2021

India

8 Signins

85 Page Views

• Message 5 of 17

2021-01-19, 12:28 PM

No I didn't. BT works fine for me with audio effects enabled. (Altough I think the audio effects are useless anyway so i keep them off. use this instead : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jazibkhan.equalizer )

Options

1554 Posts

08-15-2020

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

524 Signins

13360 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 13360
  • Message 6 of 17

2021-01-19, 14:58 PM

Is there a reason you use the lowest brightness level? Or are you just playing around with the phone to test it?

■ I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position. ■
Options

7 Posts

01-19-2021

India

8 Signins

85 Page Views

• Message 7 of 17

2021-01-19, 15:23 PM

Oh no I have a habit of using the phone in a dark room, that's why i sometimes keep it at lowest brightness. And i've been doing this through all my past phones and none of them had this problem. 

Options

1554 Posts

08-15-2020

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

524 Signins

13360 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 13360
  • Message 8 of 17

2021-01-19, 15:27 PM

OK, understood. Not good for your eyes to look at screens in a dark room even with nightlight on but your choice.

■ I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position. ■
Options

7 Posts

01-19-2021

India

8 Signins

85 Page Views

• Message 9 of 17

2021-01-19, 15:54 PM
:) Yes, the duration is not long, about half n hour or so per day. But well, old habits die hard. Anyway, do u have a moto g 5g on which u can check this phenomenon?
Options

3556 Posts

03-11-2019

United States of America

719 Signins

55425 Page Views

• Views: 55425
  • Message 10 of 17

2021-01-20, 15:14 PM

Hi aditya446,

Thanks for posting your concern here. We cannot duplicate this on our end. Please capture a video showing the video and generate a bug report as well.

To enable developer options:
1. Go to Settings > About phone > Build number
2. Tap Build number seven times. After the first few taps, you should see the steps counting down until you unlock the developer options. Once activated, you will see a message that reads, “You are now a developer!”
3. Go back to Settings, where you’ll find a Developer options entry in the menu

Steps on how to generate a Bug Report:
Go to Settings -> System -> Advanced -> Developer options -> Enable USB debugging > Toggle On
Enable Settings ->System -> Advanced -> Developer options -> Enable Bug Report shortcut > Toggle On
Once the issue is reproduced: Go to Settings -> System -> Advanced ->Developer options -> Click on take bug report or Press Power button and then choose Bug Report from the Power-down menu.
Wait for some time until the bug report is collected. It takes around 3 to 4 minutes to collect the Bug Report.
Then upload the Bug Report to your personal Google Drive and then share the link of the Bug Report via Private Message.
Provide observations of what you saw happen right before the bug report was taken.
Please indicate the local time when you observed the behavior.

Best regards,
Zeke
Motorola Support

Did someone help you today? Press the Thumbs up icon on the bottom right thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms