Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G PhonesMoto G5S / Moto G5S Plus
All Forum Topics
Options

62 Posts

02-07-2018

Australia

50 Signins

302 Page Views

• Views: 302
  • Message 1 of 11

displaying jpg pictures seems to depend on file size?

2021-03-22, 6:52 AM

I have a motog5s model  XT1797), running Android 8.1.0 and it's display of jpg images seems to depend on the file size.  Small ones - around 50kb - are not displayed even tho they are in the file manager pictures folder, whereas larger ones in the same folder - 500kb - happily display when selected.  Example of a small file that won't display attached, cannot attach more than 1 .

Is there a reason for this, and is there a selection option to display them all regardless of size?

Answer
Options

62 Posts

02-07-2018

Australia

50 Signins

302 Page Views

Re:displaying jpg pictures seems to depend on file size?

2021-03-29, 1:35 AM

Hi,

I have a solution - but it wasn't what I expected, and learnt some things along the way.  Laying it out . .

1.  Noted that the instructions did not cover starting any of the non-android apps - any app - in safe mode, so difficult to assess just which one (of 67 - about 12 by me, the rest came pre-installed by Motorola with the phone) might have caused a conflict.  But started in safe mode and then viewed the file manager/pictures to provide a baseline.  And the result was the same - that small image wasn't in the view.  So, it happens with standard android in safe mode . . . . no need to compare safe mode + apps 1 by 1 - the base line has the problem.

2.  These images are split across - on my phone - 3 sub-folders, including screenshots - so I figured there may be some limits on collating all the images from any sub-folder in one display of small icons 3 across or roughly 2cm square on the screen.  I went looking for something that might affect that - and found in the file manager screen right at the top those 3 bars that generally mean a menu of some sort.  So I tapped it, found a settings item in it, tapped that and there it was - a setting to ignore images smaller than 50K.  It was set (meaning ignore) and that must be the default setting.  So, un-set that item and re-tried the picture view.  And that small image is now displayed as part of the pictures collage, able to be tapped/expanded individually to the full screen.  And it worked; solution in screenshot attached.

These sort of 'manage Android' things (safe mode, standard app settings etc) just are not addressed in the documented manual.  A chapter of the them in that document would certainly help understand what is going on.

Replies(10)
Options

4342 Posts

03-04-2016

India

1287 Signins

66020 Page Views

• Views: 66020
  • Message 2 of 11

2021-03-22, 7:04 AM

@ Davidk13 wrote:

I have a motog5s model  XT1797), running Android 8.1.0 and it' display of jpg images seems to depend on the file size.  Small ones - around 50kb - are not displayed even tho they are in the file manager pictures folder, whereas larger ones in the same folder - 500kb - happily display when selected.  Example of a small file that won' display attached, cannot attach more than 1 .

Is there a reason for this, and is there a selection option to display them all regardless of size?

Hi,

Thank you for reaching out I have moved your post to Moto G5S / Moto G5S Plus Originally you have posted under the moto g 5G community. 

Regards

Sandip

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up icon on the bottom right to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

2768 Posts

11-24-2020

India

255 Signins

28025 Page Views

• Views: 28025
  • Message 3 of 11

2021-03-22, 10:45 AM

Hi Davidk13

Thanks for writing to us. Sorry to know about this. It would be great if you could tell me a bit more about it. What happens when you tap on a smaller size file? Are you getting any errors? Are you using the default file manager or any 3rd party application? Was it working fine before? So I can check and assist you further. 

Thanks

Sunitha 

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up icon on the bottom right to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

62 Posts

02-07-2018

Australia

50 Signins

302 Page Views

• Message 4 of 11

2021-03-23, 0:08 AM

Hi Sunitha,

What I'm doing is copying/saving some selected pictures from the PC onto my phone for use with family/friends and others, as needed.  In this particular case, images of a much loved pet, now over 18 years old and the range of images covers her life.  In the screenshot attached you can see in the thumbnails just what they are and their size.

Answering your queries, probably out of order:

1. I'm using the standard Android file manager

2.  all the pictures are in the pictures folder - plugged the phone into my PC, and exported them to the phone from the folder there.  Small, and larger are are all in the same folder on the phone.  So, in that connection - windows explorer, selected that folder on an attached external device displayed - the files are there.  Attached 1 screenshot of the moto pictures folder,  showing that folder contents and the small picture (attached to original post) in that folder opened/displayed in windows.

3. when the phone is stand-alone, and the file manager pictures folder is displayed, that  small jpg picture (actually, any small one - I haven't done research to identify where the boundary is, but I suspect it's around 100kb) is simply not displayed.  No error or warning message - just not there.  All the others are tho - in small square icons 3 across on the screen.  I've had to plug the phone into the PC several times to verify that it is actually in the folder:  thus the screenshot.

4.  I bought the phone in Jan 2018, so it's 3 years old. AFAIK, it has always been this way.  I just decided that I'd try to find out why lately.

Sidebar

in addition to not being able to attach more than 1 image (need at least 2 to illustrate before and after conditions), as noted previously, deleting one so a better one can be inserted doesn't work - after the deletion, that attach file button just doesn't work any more.  To get it going again, cancel reply and start again - which is a pain.  Surely the forum support people can do better than that.

Options

2768 Posts

11-24-2020

India

255 Signins

28025 Page Views

• Message 5 of 11

2021-03-23, 14:09 PM

Hi Davidk13

Thank you for sharing the additional information. I don't believe there is any low-end limitation on photo file sizes that the phone can open. I'll have to see if I can find my G5S and test myself. In the meantime, please try opening the photo from the PC and save it again with a different filename, then put it back on the phone and see if it can be opened. I suspect there is some sort of corruption as the file you attached is 68 KB, but in your screenshot showing the desktop, it's showing at 48 KB.

Thanks

Sunitha

Options

62 Posts

02-07-2018

Australia

50 Signins

302 Page Views

• Message 6 of 11

2021-03-24, 0:14 AM

There's no file corruption there: on my testing I think your PC system configuration - specifically, the cluster size you chose for formatting - is misleading you.

The jpg image file stored on the phone in the file manager/pictures library displays correctly when viewed by windows10 20h2 explorer on the desktop, with the phone plugged in as an external drive:

- 1st, as a file stored on the phone:  rt click on the file, select properties, and it shows as 48kb.  rt click on the file, select open, and it opens correctly in windows photos.

- 2nd, as a file stored on the desktop (this was where the file was copied from, to the phone): rt click on the file, choose properties, and the display says the file size is 48K, but the size on disk is 52Kb.  That difference speaks to the cluster size used to format the disk (in my case, 4k):  the actual file uses storage in clusters, and clearly the 48K file is using 13x4Kb clusters, with the last cluster being mostly empty (wasted space in the last cluster assigned to a file, the minimisation of which is why I format using a 4 Kb cluster size. A larger cluster size reduces the size of the NTFS file tables, but the last clusters wastage is larger).  Also rt click on this original file, choose open, and it opens correctly in windows photos.  I took 2 screenshots to illustrate this, but since only one can be attached here I'm showing the one from windows which shows the file size and space on disk result

The telling point is that with the phone stand alone, opening the file manager, pictures, and this small 48K image is simply not displayed under Android: it's simply not shown in the icon thumbnail list for selection as a larger image.  Images with larger file sizes are, and - as I've stated - the boundary seems to be about 100Kb. I have experimented with several small images up to about 68K and they all fail to display on the phone. Under Android, smaller pictures that exist on the memory are ignored/not displayed, whereas larger ones (testable files I've used are 300Kb and larger) are.  The difference in performance between the 2 sets of display programs is: windows works on small, even ones on the phone, whereas android won't display small images saved on it's internal storage.  using the phone only, you cannot even determine that the small image exists:  that takes a PC connection and external software to confirm.

So if there is no setting somewhere on the phone that set this, then the android display software used on the phone is seriously deficient in version 8.1.0, and probably earlier.  Whether that is fixed in later versions I cannot say .

Options

2768 Posts

11-24-2020

India

255 Signins

28025 Page Views

• Message 7 of 11

2021-03-24, 15:26 PM

Hi Davidk13

We have tested in Moto G5s Plus and Moto G5 Plus which is running on Android Oreo. But we are unable to duplicate, please refer to the attached image where we have tested with the same image and it is showing. I would suggest you check any pending apps updates available in Play Store. If yes, please update all applications and check. If you still face the same issue, please test your phone in Safe mode. Safe Mode starts the device without any third-party applications being started. This will allow you to open apps individually to try and determine which app may be causing the issue.

To go into Safe Mode, press the physical power key, then press and hold the pop-up "Power off" key until the Safe Mode instructions pop up, reboot the device to get back to normal mode. Let us know what you'll find out.

Thanks

Sunitha 

Options

62 Posts

02-07-2018

Australia

50 Signins

302 Page Views

• Message 8 of 11

2021-03-24, 22:50 PM

OK.

But before I get into that later today, please advise your android version number  - oreo means nothing; the only reference for version on the device is the number.

Options

2768 Posts

11-24-2020

India

255 Signins

28025 Page Views

• Message 9 of 11

2021-03-25, 5:20 AM

Hi Davidk13,

Both the devices that we have tested are running on Android 8.1(Android Oreo). Please follow the above instructions and let me know how it goes. I look forward to your response.

Thanks

Sunitha 

Answer
Options

62 Posts

02-07-2018

Australia

50 Signins

302 Page Views

• Message 10 of 11

2021-03-29, 1:35 AM

Hi,

I have a solution - but it wasn't what I expected, and learnt some things along the way.  Laying it out . .

1.  Noted that the instructions did not cover starting any of the non-android apps - any app - in safe mode, so difficult to assess just which one (of 67 - about 12 by me, the rest came pre-installed by Motorola with the phone) might have caused a conflict.  But started in safe mode and then viewed the file manager/pictures to provide a baseline.  And the result was the same - that small image wasn't in the view.  So, it happens with standard android in safe mode . . . . no need to compare safe mode + apps 1 by 1 - the base line has the problem.

2.  These images are split across - on my phone - 3 sub-folders, including screenshots - so I figured there may be some limits on collating all the images from any sub-folder in one display of small icons 3 across or roughly 2cm square on the screen.  I went looking for something that might affect that - and found in the file manager screen right at the top those 3 bars that generally mean a menu of some sort.  So I tapped it, found a settings item in it, tapped that and there it was - a setting to ignore images smaller than 50K.  It was set (meaning ignore) and that must be the default setting.  So, un-set that item and re-tried the picture view.  And that small image is now displayed as part of the pictures collage, able to be tapped/expanded individually to the full screen.  And it worked; solution in screenshot attached.

These sort of 'manage Android' things (safe mode, standard app settings etc) just are not addressed in the documented manual.  A chapter of the them in that document would certainly help understand what is going on.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms