Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G Phonesmoto g power (2021)
All Forum Topics
Options

5989 Posts

10-05-2016

United States of America

695 Signins

59222 Page Views

• Views: 59222
  • Message 21 of 51

Re:Fingerprint Option Missing

2021-08-03, 20:22 PM

@ jaywelby34 wrote:

Yes the option is totally gone from the menu.  Verizon is replacing the phone under warranty.  With you all I would have had to send it in, be without a phone and wait. They were on top of it.  

Hi jaywelby34,

I appreciate you tried our suggestion and I woul feel the same way having no phone to use while the phone is under repair. Glad they were able to address your concern and they would replace the device. Keep us posted for any update.

I really appreciate you let us know.

Regards,
Jess
Motorola Support

Please do not send me a personal message regarding your concerns or questions if this can be posted to this community. We prioritize the ones posting on threads.
Options

8 Posts

09-13-2021

Canada

10 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 22 of 51

2021-09-13, 2:52 AM

Since the update, my sensor has been inoperable and the security option for fingerprint sensor is not there. 

This has absolutely been the update somehow causing a malfunction in the phones. There have been far too many people with the Moto G 8s experiencing the exact same issue. 

Those who are not under a warranty anymore can't exactly get it replaced for free, nor those to pay for the "repairs" (let's be real here, they're still budget phones). Not to mention that the problem has been caused by the update and Motorola isn't doing anything about it that can be searched, nor are they even acknowledging its existence publicly. 

Does anyone know if there has been a statement regarding the error? Or any solutions that have worked? It took me forever to even find this forum and I have been intermittently searching since the update error began.

Options

5989 Posts

10-05-2016

United States of America

695 Signins

59222 Page Views

• Views: 59222
  • Message 23 of 51

2021-09-13, 16:52 PM

@ A-Ress wrote:

Since the update, my sensor has been inoperable and the security option for fingerprint sensor is not there. 

This has absolutely been the update somehow causing a malfunction in the phones. There have been far too many people with the Moto G 8s experiencing the exact same issue. 

Those who are not under a warranty anymore can't exactly get it replaced for free, nor those to pay for the "repairs" (let's be real here, they're still budget phones). Not to mention that the problem has been caused by the update and Motorola isn't doing anything about it that can be searched, nor are they even acknowledging its existence publicly. 

Does anyone know if there has been a statement regarding the error? Or any solutions that have worked? It took me forever to even find this forum and I have been intermittently searching since the update error began.

Hi @ A-Ress,

Sorry to know that you have the same concern. We'll try our best to help. We'll ask for some questions to further assist you.

We do not have any statement regarding this concern as this is not a known issue and, we are trying out best to help to resolve this as far as we can.

Have you tried resetting the phone since it happened after an update?

Have you tried to reflash the phone through the RSA tool and see if that would help?

Let us know.

Regards,
Jess
Motorola Support

Please do not send me a personal message regarding your concerns or questions if this can be posted to this community. We prioritize the ones posting on threads.
Options

7 Posts

05-17-2021

United States of America

11 Signins

70 Page Views

• Views: 70
  • Message 24 of 51

2021-09-13, 17:07 PM

Welcome to the Missing Fingerprint Sensor club, mine is already not working since the update. I don't have time to send to repair and take it back.

I am not happy with Motorola, there is no repair center near Houston.

You need to backup & clear your phone, send with cargo and wait, restore your phone etc. If you're lucky, you will not lose your data when restore. If not?

It's not about the money, I don't want to take the risk to lose my pictures.

I don't want to use my GPower because it's like a 90's phone without a fingerprint sensor. I need to write the passwords again and again!

I know, my and my friend's next phone will not be a Motorola.

Options

11 Posts

02-05-2020

United States of America

6 Signins

30 Page Views

• Views: 30
  • Message 25 of 51

2021-09-13, 17:26 PM

To all. I was lucky enough that my phone was under warranty.  Had it replaced by Verizon.  Lousy to have this fail after a software update and sounds like it is widespread.

Options

8 Posts

09-13-2021

Canada

10 Signins

25 Page Views

• Message 26 of 51

2021-09-13, 21:06 PM

Resetting yes, and just like every other testimony, did not work.

As for RSA, I have not tried that, but I'll see what it says. I'll report back

Options

8 Posts

09-13-2021

Canada

10 Signins

25 Page Views

• Message 27 of 51

2021-09-13, 23:47 PM

You'd have to reboot the whole phone and wipe it and then don't setup internet so it can't auto-update. I read somewhere that several people tried that, and each had their saved Back-Up mysteriously unavailable or non-existent and the whole reboot/wipe did NOT fix anything, PLUS they lost everything that was not backed up via PC. Some had their content on a laptop, however they could no longer transfer the content to the now hard-reset phone, with and without the updates.I suggest being careful!!

Options

2 Posts

10-12-2021

Iran (Islamic Republic of)

4 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 28 of 51

2021-10-12, 17:59 PM

I have the same problem with moto Z. Today I touched the fingerprint sensor and encountered  an error: fingerprint hardware is missing. I touched again and this time seen no reaction from the phone. Then I checked the setting and I didn't find a fingerprint option in security list. I tried via search and the option shown up. But tapping it forwarded me to the same page without fingerprint option. I tried restarting several times, clearing cache in recovery mode, booting phone in safe mode, installing fingerprint applications,  resetting and removing pattern lock, replacing pattern lock with pin and a bunch of other things. None of them worked. During the pattern changing I realized that the pattern lock on the start-up didn't change. Even now, Without any active security the old start-up pattern lock exists! The only thing I didn't try was factory resetting. Because I need my data and I haven't time for stuffs like backup etc. I would appreciate if anyone can show me an effective clue. I dont't know if there is any Motorola service center in Iran and even if there is, It would be in Tehran and I'm 700 KM far from there!

Options

8 Posts

09-13-2021

Canada

10 Signins

25 Page Views

• Message 29 of 51

2021-10-12, 18:23 PM
Backups haven't been working when you hard reset/factory reset your phone. Regardless of method, the phone said the information was invalid and it seems it could be stored on the phone but not used, or if putting directly on the memory card, it says that it must be reformatted before use. If you format the card, all your information is lost. Even if you format it then add the information to the memory card, after altering it with a laptop and putting it back in the phone, it says the card must be reformatted before use again. I guess Motorola decided to Brick all its "older" phones /: (I say, having a phone less than 2 years old) If it's not resolved, then I'm moving on from Moto phones. They're not even as durable as they used to be, which was the highlight of their phones for myself, but all the hardware and software janks up quicker with each new phone that comes out.
Options

4306 Posts

03-04-2016

India

1285 Signins

65730 Page Views

• Views: 65730
  • Message 30 of 51

2021-10-13, 4:41 AM

@ R_Z_Manfred wrote:

I have the same problem with moto Z. Today I touched the fingerprint sensor and encountered  an error: fingerprint hardware is missing. I touched again and this time seen no reaction from the phone. Then I checked the setting and I didn't find a fingerprint option in security list. I tried via search and the option shown up. But tapping it forwarded me to the same page without fingerprint option. I tried restarting several times, clearing cache in recovery mode, booting phone in safe mode, installing fingerprint applications,  resetting and removing pattern lock, replacing pattern lock with pin and a bunch of other things. None of them worked. During the pattern changing I realized that the pattern lock on the start-up didn't change. Even now, Without any active security the old start-up pattern lock exists! The only thing I didn't try was factory resetting. Because I need my data and I haven't time for stuffs like backup etc. I would appreciate if anyone can show me an effective clue. I dont't know if there is any Motorola service center in Iran and even if there is, It would be in Tehran and I'm 700 KM far from there!

Hi R_Z_Manfred

As mentioned earlier, have you tried to run a rescue through the RSA tool? ( Please note that this will reset your device, so please take a backup) If resetting the device still didn't work, we suggest sending it for repair to have it fixed. 

Regards,

Sandip

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up icon on the bottom right to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms