Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G Phonesmoto g power
All Forum Topics
Options

10 Posts

06-11-2020

United States of America

11 Signins

70 Page Views

• Views: 70
  • Message 1 of 10

Android Auto Autoconnect Issue

2020-06-11, 16:15 PM

On my previous phones, when I plugged in my phone android auto would automatically start on my car stereo.  However, on my new Moto G Power, when I plug in I must unlock the phone before it will start android auto on the stereo unit.  

Android Auto (AA) is set to autoconnect.  I've set the device up as a trusted agent with my stereo and bluetooth.  That works to keep my phone unlocked immeidately, however, once I plug the phone in, the screen goes dark and the phone locks itself.  I then have to re-unlock it to get AA working on the stereo.  I've also tried to change the usb preferences on my phone, but that didn't work either.

This is the first phone I've had that does this.  My other phones (Pixel, Oneplus 6t, LG G5, and others) simply start up the AA on the stereo unit as soon as its plugged in.  

Any other suggestions?  

Options

10 Posts

06-11-2020

United States of America

11 Signins

70 Page Views

• Message 2 of 10

Re:Android Auto Autoconnect Issue

2020-06-12, 14:46 PM
Helloooo Moto customer service. Anyone home?
Options

3900 Posts

03-11-2019

United States of America

743 Signins

58010 Page Views

• Views: 58010
  • Message 3 of 10

2020-06-12, 16:04 PM

Hi Mrallen,

Thanks for posting your concern. Is the Android Auto app up to date with the latest software? Try unpairing all Bluetooth devices from the phone and the car speaker. Then pair it again and connect it again via USB. Make sure that the USB preferences is set to MTP (Media Transfer Protocol). 

Best regards,
Zeke
Motorola Support

Did someone help you today? Press the Thumbs up icon on the bottom right thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

10 Posts

06-11-2020

United States of America

11 Signins

70 Page Views

• Message 4 of 10

2020-06-12, 16:30 PM

It is a brand new phone.  Everything is up to date and fresh.

I just found the following reply from Moto to the exact same issue.

wrote:

I recently purchased a Moto G6 to replace an LG G5.. I am having a problem with the phone and Android Auto when connected via USB to my vehicle. Android Auto will not start or be available to the vehicle until the screen is swiped up. If I use Smart Lock to unlock the phone when connected to my vehicle Bluetooth, it will unlock the phone — but still require that I swipe up to show the home screen before any communication to the vehicle over USB takes place and Android Auto launches. I have not had to do this with previous Android phones. Any help would be appreciated. 

Hi RNY71,

Thank you for reporting, yes you have to be at the home screen, this is by design as the phone doesn't enumerate USB connections when it's at the lock screen.

It would be a security risk to allow USB connection form the lock screen, as someone could get ahold of your phone and take data from the storage or run commands via ADB.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Swaraj

Moto Support

I have to say that this is a crazy design approach.  Every other android and iphone I have ever used doesn't do it this way.  As the other poster noted later in the above text stream, if one doesn't have ADB debugging set to "on" in the phone settings (and it is not set up that way by default) then this "security issue" doesn't exist.  Moto has implemented an unnecessary and cumbersome design approach that all other manufacturers don't seem to have an issue with.  

While it may seem like a small thing to have to unlock it manually, it's NOT a small thing when you have to do it multiple times a day.  When one comes from a previous workflow on my Pixel where all I had to do is 1) put plug it in, 2) put phone on the phone holder, and 3) drive off with AA automatically starting on my stereo to a new workflow where now I have to 1) plug it in, 2) hold the phone in my hand and wait for AA to start up, 3) allow the phone to go back to the lock screen, 4) then manually unlock the phone again, 5) then place the phone in the holder, and 6) then finally be able to drive, it's simply unacceptable.  

I really like the phone otherwise, but Moto has really dropped the ball here.  I cannot recommend anyone get this phone with this intentional design feature.

Is there a workaround?

Options

3900 Posts

03-11-2019

United States of America

743 Signins

58010 Page Views

• Message 5 of 10

2020-06-16, 17:15 PM

Hi Mrallen

What phone did did you have before the Moto G Power? This is not uncommon on Stock Android that it would require the device to be unlocked first as USB Data connection isn't activated if device is locked. 

Best regards,
Zeke
Motorola Support

Did someone help you today? Press the Thumbs up icon on the bottom right thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

10 Posts

06-11-2020

United States of America

11 Signins

70 Page Views

• Message 6 of 10

2020-06-25, 15:11 PM

Original Pixel, LG G5 and Oneplus 6T all worked this way.  All of them automatically connect to AA without any special intervention on my part.

Options

10 Posts

06-11-2020

United States of America

11 Signins

70 Page Views

• Message 7 of 10

2020-06-25, 15:14 PM

By the way, I don't mean this to be a troll. But why did you have to ask me what my previous phone was?  Are you not reading my posts? I clearly addressed that in my previous posts.  It is an important part of my complaint.  

Options

3900 Posts

03-11-2019

United States of America

743 Signins

58010 Page Views

• Message 8 of 10

2020-06-26, 15:57 PM

Hi Mrallen,

We did read your post. We asked the previous phone used since you mentioned there are other phones aside from the one you mentioned and we want to check if you have used Motorola phones aside from the Moto G Power. Your case has been escalated to our software team for further investigation. We'll post back once they provided an update or need additional information.

Best regards,
Zeke
Motorola Support

Options

10 Posts

06-11-2020

United States of America

11 Signins

70 Page Views

• Message 9 of 10

2020-06-26, 16:19 PM
Ok. That's fair. No. I've not used Moto phones before. This seems unique to Moto.
Options

3900 Posts

03-11-2019

United States of America

743 Signins

58010 Page Views

• Message 10 of 10

2020-07-01, 16:46 PM

Hi Mrallen,

Can you provide us the make and model of the car? Check if there are device administrator on your phone which is located in Settings > Security. Try also to connect the phone while in Safe mode. 

To reboot in safe mode:

1. Press & hold the Power button.
  2. Touch & hold Power off.
  3. Touch OK to restart in safe mode.

Best regards,
Zeke
Motorola Support

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms