Options

1 Posts

09-13-2020

US

1 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 1 of 5

Buggy Android 10 launcher on Moto g8 Power prevents dragging app shortcuts into app folders?

2020-09-13, 18:37 PM

I'm upgrading from a Moto x4 to Moto g8 Power and liking the new phone very much, with the exception of some initial migration issues relating to the Android 10 launcher.  I don't mind that the copy of apps and settings from the old to new phone did not go flawlessly, but when I tried to rebuild some of the app folders, I found I that, in many (but not all) cases, apps were being rejected from being dragged into a folder.  (Just to be clear, the maximum apps per folder of sixteen was not being exceeded.)

To make it more frustrating, it does seem possible to drag apps OUT of a folder, but not back into same folder.  Furthermore, when I try to build an entirely new folder, it does not seem to be possible to include more than two apps per folder.  A little bit encouraging is that, upon coming back to the phone a few hours later, some of these stubborn app folders seem to be more cooperative -- accepting a few apps (but not all) which had been previously rejected.

It's gotten frustrating enough that I have been considering just giving up on the Moto launcher and using Nova Launcher instead -- but, unfortunately, Nova Launcher reports that Android 10's new gestures features have not yet been made available to 3rd party developers.

So ... am I the only user having such issues?  Does anybody have any idea how to deal with what looks like a very buggy launcher on this otherwise excellent new Motorola device?  It would be very reassuring to find out that I am not the only user having this very frustrating problem, that it is a known issue, and a fix is in the works?  Most reassuring of all would be a response from Motorola support, thanks!

Options

145 Posts

08-06-2019

US

229 Signins

2194 Page Views

• Views: 2194
  • Message 2 of 5

Re:Buggy Android 10 launcher on Moto g8 Power prevents dragging app shortcuts into app folders?

2020-09-15, 3:07 AM

You can try the following:

1. Install a third-party launcher and set it as your Default launcher
  2. Go to Settings>Apps & Notifications>App Info>All Apps>Show System Apps...this is located in the upper right corner "Three Dots"
  3. Scroll down to "Moto App Launcher" and clear Cache and Data
  4. Go back to Settings and type the word "home" in the Search Bar at the top of the screen.
  5. "Default Home App" should appear as a result of your search query. Tap on it and choose "Moto App Launcher" as your Default launcher.
  6. Uninstall third-party launcher app and reboot phone.

If the steps above doesn't help, boot into Safe Mode and see if the problem duplicates itself. If all else fails, perform a Factory Reset.

Options

3310 Posts

02-11-2016

US

3058 Signins

61711 Page Views

• Views: 61711
  • Message 3 of 5

Re:Buggy Android 10 launcher on Moto g8 Power prevents dragging app shortcuts into app folders?

2020-09-17, 14:18 PM

There shouldn't be an app limit of 16 per folder. It sounds like you're experiencing a very common thing that even happens to me. Sometimes when you go to move an icon to a folder it will think you're trying to move the folder out of the way. I've never quite determined what the cause is, but it happens on all my phones from time to time, including a Google Pixel device. Usually, I find that I either have to slow down or speed up the dragging movement a bit for it to recognize that I'm trying to put an icon in the folder. I have tried 3rd party launchers like Nova and experience the same behavior. So it's not a phone-specific or even app-specific issue, more of getting the right speed down when dragging the icons. I hope that helps. Let me know.

-Tom

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

2 Posts

10-11-2020

GB

3 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 4 of 5

2020-10-11, 11:06 AM
You are not alone, I have the same problem. I have folders with 6 + items in but that has stopped. I tried a trick from a 2015 post I found on the net - open app, close it, open folder, close it, then drag but that only worked 1 time in 20+ posts. The folder opens and let's me drag the app into it but when I release (dragging swiftly or slowly) and let go the whole screen resizes very briefly and when I open the folder the app is not added but back where I dragged it from.
Options

2 Posts

10-11-2020

GB

3 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 5 of 5

2020-10-11, 11:17 AM
Solved! In the past I recall having to wait for the folder to open before I released the icon. What now works for me is to drag the icon to the folder and release BEFORE the folder has time to open.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete