Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G Phonesmoto g power
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

05-10-2021

Canada

3 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 1 of 11

Data after the Android 11 Update

2021-05-10, 1:23 AM

A couple weeks ago my phone stopped being able to send or receive MMS messages or connect to data. It was working completely fine before this and the only correlating factor I can come up with is the Android 11 update. I tried all the troubleshooting steps on the website to no avail. I also tried popping the sim card into another device but it worked fine in the other phone. Has anyone else had this issue? Any help would be appreciated!

Answer
Options

5593 Posts

02-11-2016

United States of America

3326 Signins

78356 Page Views

• Views: 78356

Re:Data after the Android 11 Update

2021-05-12, 13:04 PM

@ N42 wrote:

Hi!

Thank you for your reply! It is both the MMS messaging and the data that is no longer working. It seems that the two may be closely tied.

For the data, despite having it turned on and accessable by a variety of apps, as soon as I turn off my wifi (or leave wifi) anything requiring internet stops working. When I put the sim card into a different phone, the data works just fine through that device so I know that my plan/data is active.

As for the MMS messages, I have it set so that they should be able to download over wifi, but they do not. When I try to download them they just try to load for a very long time, eventually fail, and then depending on how I tried to access the MMS message, will give me an error saying that my data needs to be turned in to receive the message (again this is with my data turned on).

I hope this helps to clarify my issue a bit. Thanks again for looking into this!

Hello, we have seen this for a few users on your carrier. Can you manually create the following APN?

Go to Settings > Network & Internet > Mobile network > Advance > Access Point Names > Menu (3 dots on the top right) > New APN. Enter the following information

Name: Sasktel1

APN: pda.stm.sk.ca

MMSC: http://mms.sasktel.com/

MMS Proxy: mig.sasktel.com

MMS Port: 80

APN Type: default,mms,supl

Leave all other options blank or set to Not set.

Tap on Menu (3 dots on the top right) > Save

Tap the circle next to the new APN you just created called Sasktel1

Turn off WiFi and test if MMS and Data are now working.

Alternatively, you can also edit the existing default APN and make sure the above settings for APN and APN type align and save it. 

Let me know if that helps.

Thanks,

Tom 

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up icon on the bottom right to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Replies(10)
Options

330 Posts

08-06-2019

United States of America

1035 Signins

5389 Page Views

• Views: 5389
  • Message 2 of 11

2021-05-10, 1:56 AM

What carrier are you on? Does this problem occur in Safe Mode? Try the following.

1)  Boot Phone Into Safe Mode

Hold down Power key and long press the Power option. A dialogue box will appear. Click OK. Once the phone has rebooted into Safe Mode, please see if MMS works.

2)   Reset APN 

Go to Settings>Network & Internet>Mobile Network>Advanced>Access Point Names>Go to three dots in upper right corner>Click "Reset to Default"

3)  Reset Network

Go to Settings>System>Advanced>Reset Options> Click on "Reset Wifi, Mobile & Bluetooth." Reboot device and see if MMS works.

4)  Update Apps

Go to the Play Store and ensure that Google Messages and Google Phone has been updated to the latest version.

5)  Update Your PRLData Profile

This only applies if you're a Sprint customer.

6)  Enable CDMAless 

Contact your carrier and request they enable your phone's CDMAless option. This only applies if you're a Verizon customer.

7)  Upgrade SIM Card

Contact your carrier to request a new SIM card and confirm proper APN settings.

8)  Perform a Factory Reset

Go to Settings>System>Reset Options>Erase All Data(Factory Reset)

Options

5 Posts

05-10-2021

Canada

3 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 3 of 11

2021-05-10, 3:45 AM

Hi! Thanks for all the great suggestions! I appreciate the detailed response!

My carrier is SaskTel. I've been with them the entire time I've had this phone on a bring-your-own device plan. I checked with my carrier to make sure that nothing weird happened with my plan, but they say it's still all good and that I should be able to access data no problem.

1) Boot Phone Into Safe Mode

I've given thinking maybe something weird happened with an app but even in the Safe Mode state, MMS and data wouldn't work. 

2) Reset APN 

I tried resetting APN to default but didn't notice any change MMS or data wise. I also tried toggling away from LTE and back again just incase something got confused there.

3) Reset Network

My service provider walked me through this when I called them but it didn't seem to help either. This was pretty much all my service provider had to offer.

4) Update Apps

Everything I've got is up to date. This is one of the first things that I tried since messages got an update around the time MMS stopped working, but it didn't seem to help and with the data not working either, it seems unlikely that it is localized to an app.

5) Update Your PRL & Data Profile

No Sprint here (the company or otherwise)

6) Upgrade SIM Card

I asked my carrier about this, but they said that since my SIM card worked in another device and since the SIM card from another device suddenly didn't work when it was put in my phone that it was not a carrier issue.

7) Perform a Factory Reset

I did this as a part of the troubleshooting steps on the Motorola website. It talked about it as being a last-resort sort of deal, but alas, still no luck on the data/MMS front. 

Options

2728 Posts

03-04-2016

India

1172 Signins

50810 Page Views

• Views: 50810
  • Message 4 of 11

2021-05-10, 5:15 AM

@ N42 wrote:

Hi! Thanks for all the great suggestions! I appreciate the detailed response!

My carrier is SaskTel. I' been with them the entire time I' had this phone on a bring-your-own device plan. I checked with my carrier to make sure that nothing weird happened with my plan, but they say it' still all good and that I should be able to access data no problem.

1) Boot Phone Into Safe Mode

I' given thinking maybe something weird happened with an app but even in the Safe Mode state, MMS and data wouldn' work. 

2) Reset APN 

I tried resetting APN to default but didn' notice any change MMS or data wise. I also tried toggling away from LTE and back again just incase something got confused there.

3) Reset Network

My service provider walked me through this when I called them but it didn' seem to help either. This was pretty much all my service provider had to offer.

4) Update Apps

Everything I' got is up to date. This is one of the first things that I tried since messages got an update around the time MMS stopped working, but it didn' seem to help and with the data not working either, it seems unlikely that it is localized to an app.

5) Update Your PRL & Data Profile

No Sprint here (the company or otherwise)

6) Upgrade SIM Card

I asked my carrier about this, but they said that since my SIM card worked in another device and since the SIM card from another device suddenly didn' work when it was put in my phone that it was not a carrier issue.

7) Perform a Factory Reset

I did this as a part of the troubleshooting steps on the Motorola website. It talked about it as being a last-resort sort of deal, but alas, still no luck on the data/MMS front. 

Hi, 

Please update your profile with the current phone, carrier, and serial number -- this will help me investigate. Please make sure that the options under Settings > Motorola Privacy are on as well, and let me know (just reply here) if it's okay for me to look at your apps to see if they are a source of problems.

Need help updating your profile? See here. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943

Thanks

Sandip

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up icon on the bottom right to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

5 Posts

05-10-2021

Canada

3 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 5 of 11

2021-05-10, 5:30 AM

Hi Sandip, 

Thank you so much for checking into this for me! I have added the phone, carrier, and serial number information to my profile. I have also checked and my moto privacy settings are turned on. If you think the apps may have something to do with this situation, by all means, please feel free to take a look!

Thanks again!

Options

2728 Posts

03-04-2016

India

1172 Signins

50810 Page Views

• Views: 50810
  • Message 6 of 11

2021-05-12, 4:20 AM

@ N42 wrote:

Hi Sandip, 

Thank you so much for checking into this for me! I have added the phone, carrier, and serial number information to my profile. I have also checked and my moto privacy settings are turned on. If you think the apps may have something to do with this situation, by all means, please feel free to take a look!

Thanks again!

Hi 

Thank you for updating your profile, Based on the details we could see that the mobile data is working after the update, can you please confirm are you facing an issue with MMS or Mobile data? 

Thanks

Sandip

Options

5 Posts

05-10-2021

Canada

3 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 7 of 11

2021-05-12, 4:39 AM

Hi!

Thank you for your reply! It is both the MMS messaging and the data that is no longer working. It seems that the two may be closely tied.

For the data, despite having it turned on and accessable by a variety of apps, as soon as I turn off my wifi (or leave wifi) anything requiring internet stops working. When I put the sim card into a different phone, the data works just fine through that device so I know that my plan/data is active.

As for the MMS messages, I have it set so that they should be able to download over wifi, but they do not. When I try to download them they just try to load for a very long time, eventually fail, and then depending on how I tried to access the MMS message, will give me an error saying that my data needs to be turned in to receive the message (again this is with my data turned on).

I hope this helps to clarify my issue a bit. Thanks again for looking into this!

Options

330 Posts

08-06-2019

United States of America

1035 Signins

5389 Page Views

• Views: 5389
  • Message 8 of 11

2021-05-12, 12:22 PM

It appears you've tried all of the troubleshooting steps. At this point I would recommend the following:

1)  Lenovo Rescue & Smart Assistant

The Lenovo Rescue and Smart Assistant (LMSA) tool is your best option for reflashing or installing the official stock firmware if you're still experiencing potential software problems. You will need a Windows PC to use the Lenovo Rescue and Smart Assistant (LMSA) tool. Debian/Linux is currently unsupported at this time.  Go to this link to find out more information about Lenovo Rescue and Smart Assistant (LMSA)

https://www.motorola.com/us/rescue-and-smart-assistant/p

2)  Repairs & Warranty

Consider returning your device to the seller and requesting an exchange. If that's not possible, send your device in for repair.

Go to this link to find out more information about Repairs & Warranty.

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.co

Answer
Options

5593 Posts

02-11-2016

United States of America

3326 Signins

78356 Page Views

• Views: 78356
  • Message 9 of 11

2021-05-12, 13:04 PM

@ N42 wrote:

Hi!

Hello, we have seen this for a few users on your carrier. Can you manually create the following APN?

Go to Settings > Network & Internet > Mobile network > Advance > Access Point Names > Menu (3 dots on the top right) > New APN. Enter the following information

Name: Sasktel1

APN: pda.stm.sk.ca

MMSC: http://mms.sasktel.com/

MMS Proxy: mig.sasktel.com

MMS Port: 80

APN Type: default,mms,supl

Leave all other options blank or set to Not set.

Tap on Menu (3 dots on the top right) > Save

Tap the circle next to the new APN you just created called Sasktel1

Turn off WiFi and test if MMS and Data are now working.

Alternatively, you can also edit the existing default APN and make sure the above settings for APN and APN type align and save it. 

Let me know if that helps.

Thanks,

Tom 

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

5 Posts

05-10-2021

Canada

3 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 10 of 11

2021-05-13, 5:02 AM

Hi Tom!

I followed your instructions and they worked! My data is up and running again as is my MMS messaging. Thank you so so much for your help! You're the best!

I truly can't thank you enough,

-Hannah

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms