Options

145 Posts

08-06-2019

US

229 Signins

2194 Page Views

• Views: 2194
  • Message 1 of 10

Does the Moto G Power have Gorilla Glass like the G7 Power?

2020-08-16, 1:44 AM

I've read that the Moto G Power display is more fragile than the G7 Power. Is this true? I can't find any info on Motorola's official website. Other websites report that the Moto G Power has Panda Glass instead of Gorilla Glass. What's the difference in terms of quality and protection?

Options

2444 Posts

04-17-2014

US

3396 Signins

42025 Page Views

• Views: 42025
  • Message 2 of 10

Re:Does the Moto G Power have Gorilla Glass like the G7 Power?

2020-08-17, 0:17 AM

I've seen on other threads that the G8 Power has NEG Nippon Electric Glass.  I don't have the devices to give a testimony on the glass quality, but I'll definitely say to get a screen protector as soon as you get the device. 

Regards,
Eric Xu

I'm a Lenovo forums advocate and brand advocate (Lenovo INsider). I'm a volunteer; I don't work for Lenovo.

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution!

Please read the Community Guidelines before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

Please do not PM me for individual requests... please post to the forums instead :)

Lenovo Forums have transitioned to a new platform. The team is working hard to bring new features and make the forums better than it was before!

The 'Search' function is currently down. In the interim, please get help through browser searches.

Please ensure the option 'Subscribe me automatically to all discussions I have participated in' is enabled under your forum settings. That way, you'll be notified if anyone replies to your thread!

Options

7 Posts

05-23-2020

PL

13 Signins

75 Page Views

• Views: 75
  • Message 3 of 10

2020-08-17, 17:57 PM

https://www.akshatblog.com/neg-scratch-resistant-glass-vs-gorilla-glass-how-good-is-it/

NEG Glass vs. Gorilla Glass vs Draongtrail Glass

NEG glass may not be as good as Gorilla glass and dragontrail glass but it is certainly better than ordinary soda lime glass. There is not much technical detail available about the new Scratch resistant glass from NEG used in mobile phones, but there are good and positive reviews about this new glass. So if your new smartphone does not have Gorilla Glass or Dragontrail Glass protection but has NEG Glass protection then you don’t have to worry about it as your smartphone screen will be as safe as it would have been with the other two.

Options

3 Posts

08-23-2020

US

1 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 4 of 10

2020-08-23, 22:13 PM

No the glass is garbage. I dropped my brand new G power from less than a foot and it looks like it got ran over by a car.  Its the weakest glass I have ever seen.  A 1000 year old vase is stronger.   I would not recommend this phone based on owning it for 3 days and the glass breaking right away for a pathetic fall.  I have never seen such a thing.  Motorola wants $149 to fix it..  What a joke. 

Options

16 Posts

08-16-2009

SoCal

25 Signins

181 Page Views

• Views: 181
  • Message 5 of 10

2020-08-27, 19:37 PM

I got a Moto G Power a couple of months ago and just bought one for my wife.

I didn't notice until just the last few days that the glass is not Gorilla Glass. I contacted Motorola through Twitter (@Moto_Support) and here's the reply:

"As per checking, the Moto G Power has a scratch resistant glass."

That answer is vague and disappointing. We're careful with our phones, and both are in good cases and have screen protectors, but accidents happen and I'd like to be reassured that this phone's glass will withstand a minor accident at least as well as my Moto Z did (it fell once about a foot onto asphalt, in a case).

I like this phone, but I'm disappointed in what seems like a corner that's been cut in an important area.

Options

49 Posts

07-09-2017

US

60 Signins

453 Page Views

• Views: 453
  • Message 6 of 10

2020-08-27, 20:15 PM

The info that I have is that the G Power uses Panda Glass, which a apparently a type of alkali-aluminosilicate sheet glass manufactured by Tunghsu Group, a conglomerate with headquarters in Beijing, China.

"Like Gorilla Glass, Panda Glass is specifically engineered to protect your phone’s display against shattering from drops and other impact."

Options

16 Posts

08-16-2009

SoCal

25 Signins

181 Page Views

• Views: 181
  • Message 7 of 10

2020-08-28, 1:35 AM

Dan,

It would be nice if that were included with the phone's specs. They could include a reference to explain Panda Glass for those who aren't familiar with it.

Options

1 Posts

09-06-2020

US

1 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 8 of 10

2020-09-06, 0:25 AM

Horrible glass. The phone slipped from my shoulder to a table top, maybe a 2 foot drop. The phone was in a case with air padded corners and a tempered screen protector. No damage to the case or the tempered screen cover but the moto screen below was shattered. Moto support said $149 to replace it and then moto phone support told me it wasn't a US model and had no warranty. It is a Moto G power. I believe it is only sold in the USA. Moto won't sell me the parts, tell me a source for the parts, or what the part numbers are. This is the 3rd moto phone I've had and probably the last.   

Options

49 Posts

07-09-2017

US

60 Signins

453 Page Views

• Views: 453
  • Message 9 of 10

2020-09-06, 2:23 AM

Take a look at my post in an earlier thread at https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/moto-g-power/Moto-G-Power-Broken-Screen-by-Day-3-of-owning-it/m-p/5034914?page=1#5126463.

You can get a complete replacement display/digitizer/glass module from Mobile Defenders for like $59 if you're comfortable doing the repair. There's a link to a YouTube video to help with the disassembly and reassembly too.

Dan

Options

145 Posts

08-06-2019

US

229 Signins

2194 Page Views

• Views: 2194
  • Message 10 of 10

2020-09-06, 19:37 PM

This is one of the reasons why I started this thread. My friend dropped his phone from the kitchen table a few weeks ago and the screen cracked. He had a phone case and a tempered screen protector on it. He contacted Motorola but they told him that the Manufacturer's Warranty didn't include screen damage. He was told that he would have to pay a fee for repairs. He was really upset about it. Apparently this has become a major issue for many people. If Motorola has decided to not include Gorilla Glass in their future products, unfortunately this will be my last Motorola phone. My Moto G7 Power and an old LG Stylo 3 Plus had damage and scratch-resistant Corning Gorilla Glass. I'm really hoping that Motorola isn't skipping on quality. A new thread was started on Reddit just the other day.

"Why Motorola Phones Doesn't Ship with Gorilla Glass Anymore?!"

https://www.reddit.com/r/MotoG/comments/imlb2m/why_motorola_phones_doesnt_ship_with_gorilla/

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete