Options

7 Posts

08-06-2020

US

6 Signins

70 Page Views

• Views: 70
  • Message 1 of 22

LTE Not Working When moving from Google Fi to Red Pocket MVNO (using CDMA / VZW)

2020-08-06, 21:02 PM

So I recently purchased the G Power from Google and used it on their Fi system for a month with no problems.  I cancelled the Fi service (google has confirmed a clean break) and inserted the Red Pocket CDMA SIM card that I've been using for the past 10 months on my Moto G4.  I was able to receive and send calls, and receive and send text Messages (no photos though).  I have been unable to connect to LTE however.   I contacted Red Pocket and spent three hours on the Live Chat trying all combinations of resets, including several Factory resets, SIM card in, SIM card out, they even reset from their end to no avail.  I then spent an hour with Google Fi on their Live Chat.  They have confirmed that the new number they assigned the phone/SIM card has been completely released and they then suggest I contact my provider.  Oh well!  So here I am seeking help from the manufacturer.  I have read through the G7 Power Forum topic titled "Lost LTE on Verizon after Android 10 upgrade on Moto G7" as well as the G Power Forum topic "No LTE on Sprint MVNO" since both of these sounded similar to my problem.  I don't know if it is a problem due to the phone being a Google Fi sourced phone, or an Android 10 issue, or some other issue.  Maybe Google, Verizon and Motorola made a deal to not let the Google Fi version of the G Power not connect LTE on the Verizon Network.  I don't know.  What I DO know is that I don't have ANY data service at all.  I'd really like to get back to being able to use LTE.  Can you help?????

Options

112 Posts

08-06-2019

US

160 Signins

1689 Page Views

• Views: 1689
  • Message 2 of 22

Re:LTE Not Working When moving from Google Fi to Red Pocket MVNO (using CDMA / VZW)

2020-08-06, 22:39 PM

I don't know much about Google Fi or Red Pocket but I found these two suggestions.

1) Contact Red Pocket and request a new SIM card. Maybe a new SIM card will help resolve your issue.

2) According to a member on Howard Forum, "DISABLE VoLTE/HD Voice before making that first call, which asks you to select your language. After you have successfully made that first (activation) call you should go back and re-enable VoLTE/HD Voice."

Here's the link>  https://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1915426-Can-t-get-G7-Power-working-on-Red-Pocket-VZW

Options

7 Posts

08-06-2020

US

6 Signins

70 Page Views

• Message 3 of 22

Re:LTE Not Working When moving from Google Fi to Red Pocket MVNO (using CDMA / VZW)

2020-08-06, 23:51 PM

I guess I could pop my other phone's SIM card into the G Power (it's also on RP) and see if that has the same effect.  

On the other suggestion, not sure how I re-do my "first call" since the phone is already active on RP.  I guess I could do yet another Factory reset.  Do you think that's what the writer had in mind?

Thanks for the reply!!

Options

1974 Posts

03-11-2019

US

590 Signins

42140 Page Views

• Views: 42140
  • Message 4 of 22

2020-08-07, 13:52 PM

Hi Yar33,

We're hear to help. Let's see if we can figure out what's going on. Seems like you've done a lot of troubleshooting up to this point. Can you update. I know Red Pocket uses AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon for their networks. I've never had or seen a Red Pocket SIM personally. How can you tell you're using it on Verizon? During your troubleshooting with Red Pocket did they have you try resetting the APN to default?

Best regards,
Zeke
Motorola Support

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

7 Posts

08-06-2020

US

6 Signins

70 Page Views

• Message 5 of 22

2020-08-07, 16:17 PM

Hi @Agent_Zeke ,

Thanks for responding!  When you buy a plan from Red Pocket, they send you three sim cards, one each for GSMA, GSMT, and CDMA.  Since I was on the VZW Network, I have been using the CDMA card in my Moto G4 for several years before trying to use my G Power.  In response to your second question, yes, I have clicked on the "Reset to default".  I have noticed that when I click on the radio button next to the APN VZWINTERNET and then back out, then go back in to the APN name, the radio button is not highlighted as I would expect.  Also, then I go to the VZWINTERNET APN detail page, all fields are shaded (cannot be changed) except for the "APN" field that shows "VZWINTERNET".

Options

112 Posts

08-06-2019

US

160 Signins

1689 Page Views

• Views: 1689
  • Message 6 of 22

2020-08-07, 22:33 PM

"Do you think that's what the writer had in mind?'

Since I don't use Red Pocket as my carrier, I'm not really sure. You can give it a try though. By the way, this was posted on Reddit today. It appears your problem maybe related. Here's the link & title of the Reddit thread>

Google Fi's G8 Power is not a truly "unlocked" phone

https://www.reddit.com/r/MotoG/comments/i5m9rs/g8_power_broken_on_verizonsprinttmobile/

Options

10 Posts

08-06-2020

US

14 Signins

50 Page Views

• Views: 50
  • Message 7 of 22

2020-08-08, 15:21 PM

Same problem with Google Fi purchased  Moto G Power, after 5 months with Fi, and some problems with T-Mobile/Sprint network had Google port me over to Boom Mobile (Verizon).

With Boom's sim I cannot get more then 1xRTT .  Have been with techs from Google, Boom, Motorola, with no help but all blaming each other for the problem.   Factory reset twice had

no effect.  Has anyone tried rooting phone yet?

Just emailed Google Fi  support with the Reddit evidence about the phone being locked to Fi.  Lets see how they respond.

Options

7 Posts

08-06-2020

US

6 Signins

70 Page Views

• Message 8 of 22

2020-08-08, 18:12 PM

@180pilot  Thanks for the info!  Please keep us posted as you get any more updates.

Options

10 Posts

08-06-2020

US

14 Signins

50 Page Views

• Message 9 of 22

2020-08-08, 19:26 PM

Have emailed Google Fi with evidence from this forum asking to return phone for a refund.  I imagine some BS answer?

Forgot to add, the Boom Mobile Verizon sim card works perfectly in my older Moto G6.  Which pretty much proves the case.

Options

10 Posts

08-06-2020

US

14 Signins

50 Page Views

• Message 10 of 22

2020-08-08, 20:37 PM

Answer from Google,  and they must know because of pandemic, Motorola is not answering phones!

"Thank you for getting in touch with us. 

We appreciate your patience with handling the issue you've encountered on your Moto G Power. I understand that your Moto G Power is unable to switch to LTE when using another carrier's SIM.  From the article you've provided, this is an issue best handled by the manufacturer that handles both hardware and software issues. You can reach out to their support team directly at: 

Motorola
Contact number: 1-800-734-5870"

I just informed them I had already talked to Motorola and they said it was a Google problem.  And, again asking to return phone to them for a refund.,

this circular blame game gets tedious!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete