Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G Phonesmoto g power
All Forum Topics
Options

8 Posts

05-02-2021

United States of America

8 Signins

140 Page Views

• Views: 140
  • Message 1 of 13

Microphone/Call Issues using Speakerphone

2021-05-02, 12:41 PM

The people I'm on the phone with tells me that my voice cuts off intermittently when I'm using speakerphone. They say that when the issue occurs, some syllables get cut out of the conversation. The call on my side is fine/clear. I have tested this with different people using different apps (whatsapp, skype) and also making calls over LTE network. I've used reliable wifi (full bars) and I have also made sure cell signal is full bars and the issue still occurs.

My phone is using build QPMS30.80-63-6-8-5

I have seen the same issue come up in other forums but I have not seen any resolution from Motorola so I'm opening this thread in hopes that you can address this issue.

I should mention that this is my second Moto G Power (2020) device that has had the same issue. I thought my first device was defective so I sent it back for a replacement and my second device has the exact same issue. I like the phone and I would like to get this resolved but if it is not resolved in a timely manner, I'm sending this back for a full refund (and most likely won't buy another Motorola phone)

Things to note: I don't have a case on my phone. The issue only occurs in speakerphone mode. If I'm using a headphone (with or without a mic) the issue does not occur. Everything else works fine on my phone.

I have tested many solutions so far so please don't ask me to test the same things I have tested below. I have tested the below on both G Power 2020 devices.

Things I have tried:

Making wifi (whatsapp, skype) and network calls while in Safe Mode - issue still occurs

Factory reset - issue still occurs

Factory reset and Safe Mode - issue still occurs

Disabling google input voice typing - issue still occurs

Disabling Moto Audio - issue still occurs

Placing the phone on a flat surface and NOT speaking directly towards the phone - issue still occurs

Placing the phone closer to my mouth and speaking directly into the microphone on the bottom of the phone - issue is really bad when I do this

Pulled sim card out and reset the phone - issue still occurs

keywords: moto g power (2020) mic speakerphone issue cutting out

Options

3876 Posts

03-11-2019

United States of America

742 Signins

57885 Page Views

• Views: 57885
  • Message 2 of 13

Re:Microphone/Call Issues using Speakerphone

2021-05-02, 16:12 PM

Hi AC_2021,

I definitely would like to help you with this. Aside from calls does the voice cuts out during video recording or voice recording? Please also try performing a hardware test on the microphone which is in the Moto Help/Device Help app. Please update your profile with current phone, carrier and IMEI -- this will help me investigate. Please make sure that the options under Settings > Motorola Privacy are on as well, and let me know (just reply here) if it's okay for me to look at your apps to see if they are a source of problems.

Need help updating your profile? See here. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943

Best regards,
Zeke
Motorola Support

Did someone help you today? Press the Thumbs up icon on the bottom right thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

8 Posts

05-02-2021

United States of America

8 Signins

140 Page Views

• Message 3 of 13

2021-05-02, 19:15 PM

Hi Zeke,

Thanks for replying.

I recorded videos using both the front-facing and rear-facing cameras and made sure to speak during the whole length of the videos. The issue did not occur. I don't have an app to record voice notes but I guess the video test is the same as recording voice. I performed the hardware test and the microphone works fine granted the microphone test only lets you record for a few seconds.

I updated my profile with the information and it's fine for you to take a look at it. I'm not sure how looking at the apps I have would make a difference since the phone has the issue when the phone was factory reset and also when it was in safe mode.

Let me know if there is anything else you would like me to test.

Options

8 Posts

05-02-2021

United States of America

8 Signins

140 Page Views

• Message 4 of 13

2021-05-04, 14:22 PM

Hi Zeke,

Any updates on what could be causing the issue and how to fix it?

Options

2562 Posts

03-04-2016

India

1151 Signins

48740 Page Views

• Views: 48740
  • Message 5 of 13

2021-05-05, 6:12 AM

@ AC_2021 wrote:

Hi Zeke,

Any updates on what could be causing the issue and how to fix it?

Hi, 

We would like to ask for a bug report in order for us to investigate further. Bug report will collect information about your current device state.

1. Go to Settings -> About Phone -> Tap on Build number 7 times on the build number to go into the developer options mode]
2. After the above steps Developer options will be enabled.
3. Go to Settings ->System -> Advanced -> Developer options -> Enable USB debugging > Toggle On
4. Enable Settings -> System -> Advanced -> Developer options -> Enable Bug Report shortcut > Toggle On
5. Once the issue is reproduced, Go to Settings -> System -> Advanced -> Developer options -> Click on take bug report or Press Power button and then choose Bug Report from the Power-down menu.
6. Wait for some time until the bug report is collected. It takes around 3 to 4 minutes to collect the Bug Report.
7. Then upload the BugReport to your personal Google Drive and then share the link to the bug report on the forums in a reply.
8. Provide observations of what you saw happen right before the bug report was taken. Please indicate the time that you observed the behavior in local time.

Regards

Sandip

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up icon on the bottom right to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

8 Posts

05-02-2021

United States of America

8 Signins

140 Page Views

• Message 6 of 13

2021-05-07, 0:27 AM

Hi Zeke and Sandip,

I have the bug report but I would like a secure way to send it to you. I went through the file that was generated and it contains tons of personal information, so it's a bit absurd to request to post a link to the report open to the public.

Please provide a secure way to send the bug report.

Thanks,

André

Options

2562 Posts

03-04-2016

India

1151 Signins

48740 Page Views

• Views: 48740
  • Message 7 of 13

2021-05-07, 5:05 AM

@ AC_2021 wrote:

Hi Zeke and Sandip,

I have the bug report but I would like a secure way to send it to you. I went through the file that was generated and it contains tons of personal information, so it' a bit absurd to request to post a link to the report open to the public.

Please provide a secure way to send the bug report.

Thanks,

André

Hi, 

You can send us via Private message here are the steps on how to send a Private Message https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Welcome-FAQs-Knowledge-Base/How-to-send-a-private-message/ta-p/345685

Thanks

Sandip

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up icon on the bottom right to thank them with a Kudo!

Options

8 Posts

05-02-2021

United States of America

8 Signins

140 Page Views

• Message 8 of 13

2021-05-09, 14:30 PM

Hi Sandip,

Thank you for trying to help but I'm still not comfortable sharing the bug report through an internet-facing link. Sending a private message doesn't allow me to attach a document, which means I would have to send you a link to the bug report that is open to the internet. I hope you understand that exposing the bug report to the internet is a security risk. Honestly, I'm dumbfounded that Motorola suggests users of the forum do this in the first place. If you provide a secure way to send Motorola the bug report, I'll be happy to share it with you.

I've been able to reproduce the issue in two different devices of the same model - it doesn't take much effort to reproduce it - and there are many other reports of the same issue with similar models (G9 Power, Moto G Stylus) on this very same forum. Have the Motorola engineers tried to reproduce the issue?

I'm reluctant to buy another Motorola phone to replace the Moto G Power due to this issue. Like I mentioned, I really like the phone - besides the very annoying speakerphone issue. I would really like Motorola to recognize the issue and provide, at least, a workaround.

Here are links to other people having what sounds like the exact same issue. As you probably know, the Moto G9 Power and the Moto G Stylus are basically the same phone as the Moto G Power.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/moto-g9-power/Can-t-be-heard-on-calls/m-p/5073482?page=1

https://www.reddit.com/r/MotoG/comments/ik1dj0/moto_g_power_2020_speakerphone_mic_issue/

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/moto-g-stylus/Issue-with-my-Moto-G-Stylus-most-people-can-t-hear-me-help/m-p/5015741

Options

5190 Posts

02-11-2016

United States of America

3301 Signins

75931 Page Views

• Views: 75931
  • Message 9 of 13

2021-05-10, 18:31 PM

@ AC_2021 wrote:

Hi Sandip,

Thank you for trying to help but I' still not comfortable sharing the bug report through an internet-facing link. Sending a private message doesn' allow me to attach a document, which means I would have to send you a link to the bug report that is open to the internet. I hope you understand that exposing the bug report to the internet is a security risk. Honestly, I' dumbfounded that Motorola suggests users of the forum do this in the first place. If you provide a secure way to send Motorola the bug report, I' be happy to share it with you.

I' been able to reproduce the issue in two different devices of the same model - it doesn' take much effort to reproduce it - and there are many other reports of the same issue with similar models (G9 Power, Moto G Stylus) on this very same forum. Have the Motorola engineers tried to reproduce the issue?

I' reluctant to buy another Motorola phone to replace the Moto G Power due to this issue. Like I mentioned, I really like the phone - besides the very annoying speakerphone issue. I would really like Motorola to recognize the issue and provide, at least, a workaround.

Here are links to other people having what sounds like the exact same issue. As you probably know, the Moto G9 Power and the Moto G Stylus are basically the same phone as the Moto G Power.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/moto-g9-power/Can-t-be-heard-on-calls/m-p/5073482?page=1

https://www.reddit.com/r/MotoG/comments/ik1dj0/moto_g_power_2020_speakerphone_mic_issue/

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/moto-g-stylus/Issue-with-my-Moto-G-Stylus-most-people-can-t-hear-me-help/m-p/5015741

Hello, while we do have similar issues on a few different models. Each is investigated separately. The root cause on one model might not be the same on another model. I hope you understand. That being said, you can attach the bug report to an email and send it to supportforums@motorola.com . Just make sure you reference this thread so we know what the report is for.

Thanks,

Tom

Options

8 Posts

05-02-2021

United States of America

8 Signins

140 Page Views

• Message 10 of 13

2021-05-10, 22:19 PM

Hi Tom,

I just sent the bug report to the email address. The speakerphone issue occurred during a wifi voice call (whatsapp) just seconds before the bug report was created.

I understand the root cause of the issue on different models could be different, but it could also be the same. Either way, I'm still reluctant to buy another model knowing that are so many models out there that can have the same issue.

Hope you guys can figure it out so I can keep this device.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms