Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G Phonesmoto g power
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

07-21-2021

United States of America

2 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 1 of 6

Moto G Play - Powr from 12Volt supply

2021-07-21, 20:11 PM

Just purchased a Moto G Play. Can it be plugged into a power from a device like this?

12V to 5V DC USB Type-C Right Angle Step-Down Power Converter, Buck Converter, 15W Output, 3A at 5V USB Type-C Power Supply, Waterproof (12V to 5V USB-C Power Converter)

Is there any harm to having this connected at all times?

Options

3008 Posts

03-04-2016

India

1197 Signins

53575 Page Views

• Views: 53575
  • Message 2 of 6

Re:Moto G Play - Powr from 12Volt supply

2021-07-22, 5:46 AM

@ RealGolf wrote:

Just purchased a Moto G Play. Can it be plugged into a power from a device like this?

12V to 5V DC USB Type-C Right Angle Step-Down Power Converter, Buck Converter, 15W Output, 3A at 5V USB Type-C Power Supply, Waterproof (12V to 5V USB-C Power Converter)

Is there any harm to having this connected at all times?

Hi RealGolf,

Welcome to Motorola forums I will try my best to help you with this. Can you let us know your device model number? So that I can check with our team on this. 

Regards

Sandip

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up icon on the bottom right to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

9 Posts

04-22-2021

United States of America

15 Signins

300 Page Views

• Views: 300
  • Message 3 of 6

2021-07-22, 9:30 AM

I'm not a Motorola expert, nor employee, so I definitely would wait for an official answer on this one because what I am 99.9% sure of is that there are a variety of reasons for sticking with the charging equipment that came with your phone, including the cable itself, as well as the adapter.

My understanding is that there are many facets of the original equipment that are designed very specifically for modern smartphones, both for optimal charging (i.e. achieving the best possible charge in the minimal amount of time), as well as for safety reasons that include the safety of your device (i.e. to prevent any kind of damage to your device or any of its components, either long-term or short-term) and your own personal safety (e.g. you don't want your device or any of its accessories to catch fire or initiate any other possibly dangerous situation).

One other detail in your post also caught my eye and that was the 15W rating. I believe that the Motorola Moto G series devices (and definitely the Moto G Power and Moto G Play devices specifically) have their outputs rated at 10W maximum (and that output level is only during any time the charging system / components are in "rapid charging" mode, which only makes up a portion of an entire charging cycle; when and how long any "rapid charging" takes place is determined by "smart" monitoring built into the charging system / equipment that came with your phone and this is a good example of why using only the charging equipment that came with your phone is highly recommended).

Finally, I'm certain that any battery / charging expert will tell you that leaving your phone constantly connected to charging equipment will end up causing your battery both strain and damage, ultimately leading to faster degradation of battery health and capability. Put simply, this means that you will likely experience less usage time per charge, as well as less time before you will eventually be forced to replace the battery because it is no longer capable of holding enough of a charge to power the phone in any useful way - essentially the 24/7 connection to a charger finally kills the battery, irreversibly.

Obviously, how fast and how extreme these negative effects take to occur, both short-term and long-term, will vary from owner to owner when connected 24/7 to a charger.

To determine whether or not the monetary cost of replacing your battery, as well as the experience cost of suffering progressively worse degradation of your batteries capability would require some more specific information with regard to the time frame that your particular charger would take to get to either a point where your phone device usage time and performance becomes unsufferable, or even impossible.

Personally, I would probably avoid any "always charging" usage and also use only the original charging equipment with my phone, especially if I'm a heavy user of the device. But, I understand that there are probably a few people out there with certain needs and certain budgets where the needs and budgets would be acceptable to them.

I hope that some of this information helps you make your decision, and again, please do try to get a complete and useful answer from an official Motorola source. Good luck! 😁

-- Tre Stuges
Options

2 Posts

07-21-2021

United States of America

2 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 4 of 6

2021-07-22, 14:37 PM

Hello, 

Thanks for feedback. We are try to do this as a cheap IoT solution. Most of the cellular IoT unlimited plans are way too expensive. 

The concept of this is that we have Raspberry Pi that will connect to the G Play via Wifi.

Both of these are then connected to a 12v car battery.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Options

383 Posts

08-06-2019

United States of America

1316 Signins

6479 Page Views

• Views: 6479
  • Message 5 of 6

2021-07-22, 14:50 PM

Motorola's recommendation is that you only use approved Motorola or OEM charging accessories to charge your Moto phone. The use of an incompatible charger or charging cable, may cause damage to your phone and void the warranty. Personally I wouldn't risk charging my phone with a DC Power converter. However there are reputable third-party chargers that can be safely used.

Amongst many of the chargers I own, I currently use the the Google Pixel 18W USB-C wall charger, the Anker 18W PowerPort PD Nano wall charger and the Xcentz 48W

5-Port USB wall charger and I've never ran into any problems. Here's another thread where this subject is discussed in greater detail. Take especially note of the great comments made by @bmoss706.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/moto-g-power/TurboPower-Charger-Question/m-p/5013135?page=1

BTW, any comments or questions regarding the Moto G Play (2021) should be posted in the appropriate forum. Here's the link.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/moto-g-play-2021/bd-p/moto_g_play_2021_en

Options

83 Posts

07-09-2017

United States of America

94 Signins

623 Page Views

• Views: 623
  • Message 6 of 6

2021-07-22, 15:09 PM

I expect that this device will probably be OK, but it definitely won't be supported by Motorola.  Myself, I use an aftermarket Anker 12VDC "cigarette lighter" charger that is qualified to Qualcomm "QC3" and supports Motorola TurboCharge.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms