Options

4 Posts

09-02-2018

US

7 Signins

127 Page Views

• Views: 127
  • Message 1 of 6

Moto G Power system update over wifi only?

2020-08-11, 23:17 PM

It seems that the phone will not update unless you're connected to wifi.  I do not have wifi.  I've had the phone for a few weeks, and it just now, finally, let me update it over data.  It asked me if I wanted it to the other day, I said yes, but it didn't do anything until today.  I've looked into every setting I can find, including my preferences in the play store, to try to change this wifi only thing, but it seems nothing can change this. My only option is to leave it to update over wifi, or set it to "smart update", which is also only done over wifi.  It's rather frustrating to not be able to update, hope that the phone will eventually update anyway, at some point, and have a big, constant, blue block in my drop down menu that I can't get rid of, Does anyone know of some magical hidden option that is un-find-able, that will let me change it to update over data?

Options

Re:Moto G Power system update over wifi only?

2020-08-12, 10:27 AM

Its a nonsense. The OS should be able to accept that a user only uses mobile data.
Same issue here in the UK and I think it's most or all phone brands so must be an Android quirk.
I have ADSL broadband at home but prefer to use mobile data on phones, tablet & laptop because it's much faster and I have a generous data allowance.
Both of my Moto phones will update using mobile data but there's always a nagging concern that I may be missing out because I choose not to use wifi.

Sorry, no help to you but you're not alone!

Options

1896 Posts

03-11-2019

US

588 Signins

41795 Page Views

• Views: 41795
  • Message 3 of 6

2020-08-12, 16:01 PM

Hi CP92,

Thanks for writing to us. Some software updates require Wi-Fi especially for updates that requires large amount of data to download. We appreciate your feedback. We'll be sure to forward your thoughts to the appropriate team.

Best regards,
Zeke
Motorola Support 

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

4 Posts

09-02-2018

US

7 Signins

127 Page Views

• Message 4 of 6

2020-08-12, 20:17 PM

I would understand giving people the option to use wifi, but for those of us who have no access to wifi, we can't get important system updates now.  Silly decision that was.

Options

4 Posts

09-02-2018

US

7 Signins

127 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2020-08-12, 20:22 PM

"The OS should be able to accept that a user only uses mobile data."

I agree. I don't have access to wifi. This is the 1st phone I've ever had, that doesn't give you the option to download over data. This is my 3rd Motorola phone, and I've never had this issue until now. I'm not real happy about it.

Options

2020-08-13, 9:08 AM

Little research shows this is not just Motorola nor Android. Seems to be forced by phone service providers or carriers as a sneaky way to throttle users with large or unlimited data plans.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete