06-13-2020

US

8 Signins

75 Page Views

• Views: 75
  • Message 1 of 13

Moto g power galileo gps

2020-07-09, 21:01 PM

I started a thread in the G7 section regarding compass and GPS in those models.  It evolved into the same questions about G / G8 models and I decided to purchase a Moto G Power based on that information.  It is supposed to support several GPS systems, including Galileo.  I do not see Galileo satellites in any apps I try.  I asked there, but perhaps the question is missed because I marked the thread as "answered" so I'm starting a new thread here.

I purchased a  Moto G Power.  It's the US model XT2041-4 hardware version "pvt".  I am testing it just on wifi (no sim.) Went through setup, it downloaded several updates. I gave it my account information and downloaded a few apps off the play store.  

All of these apps show the GPS satellites being used by the phone.  Physics Toolbox Suite, GPSTest, and GPS Test.  None of them show Galileo satellites being used.  Only GPS and Glonass.

I found a web page (https://in-the-sky.org/) that shows current positions of satellites, and verified Galileo satellites are overhead.  I verified the app wasn't misidentifying them as something else, they just aren't there.  One of the apps has switches to  determine which satellites show in the app, doesn't matter if Galileo is "on" or "off."

According to research, "On November 15, [2018] the FCC adopted a waiver order allowing GNSS receivers to use Galileo signals within the United States without an FCC license."  And I have seen past anecdotal mentions of "geo-fencing" phones -- they only receive it when outside of the USA, but that shouldn't be the case anymore -- not on a 2020 model phone.  I am in the US.

So, how do I get Galileo working on this phone?  Will there be an update that fixes it?  The clock is ticking on my return window...

Thanks.

Options

9 Posts

07-13-2020

BE

5 Signins

75 Page Views

• Message 2 of 13

Moto g power galileo gps

2020-07-13, 15:21 PM
I have the same problem. I bought the Motorola one hyper because it had Galileo-support but it deels that that is not the fase ☹️. Why are your list it up in the features when it is not supported?
Options

2923 Posts

02-11-2016

US

3016 Signins

57796 Page Views

• Views: 57796
  • Message 3 of 13

Re:Moto g power galileo gps

2020-07-20, 15:06 PM

@ TorqueMasterB wrote:

I started a thread in the G7 section regarding compass and GPS in those models.  It evolved into the same questions about G / G8 models and I decided to purchase a Moto G Power based on that information.  It is supposed to support several GPS systems, including Galileo.  I do not see Galileo satellites in any apps I try.  I asked there, but perhaps the question is missed because I marked the thread as "answered" so I'm starting a new thread here.

I purchased a  Moto G Power.  It's the US model XT2041-4 hardware version "pvt".  I am testing it just on wifi (no sim.) Went through setup, it downloaded several updates. I gave it my account information and downloaded a few apps off the play store.  

All of these apps show the GPS satellites being used by the phone.  Physics Toolbox Suite, GPSTest, and GPS Test.  None of them show Galileo satellites being used.  Only GPS and Glonass.

I found a web page (https://in-the-sky.org/) that shows current positions of satellites, and verified Galileo satellites are overhead.  I verified the app wasn't misidentifying them as something else, they just aren't there.  One of the apps has switches to  determine which satellites show in the app, doesn't matter if Galileo is "on" or "off."

According to research, "On November 15, [2018] the FCC adopted a waiver order allowing GNSS receivers to use Galileo signals within the United States without an FCC license."  And I have seen past anecdotal mentions of "geo-fencing" phones -- they only receive it when outside of the USA, but that shouldn't be the case anymore -- not on a 2020 model phone.  I am in the US.

So, how do I get Galileo working on this phone?  Will there be an update that fixes it?  The clock is ticking on my return window...

Thanks.

Sorry for the delay, can you try putting an active SIM into your device and see if it starts picking up Galileo at that point?

-Tom

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

8 Posts

06-13-2020

US

8 Signins

75 Page Views

• Message 4 of 13

2020-07-20, 21:09 PM

I was hoping to avoid that, until I'm sure I'm keeping it.  Shouldn't matter anyway, what if I want to use the device sim-less?

But I swapped it in anyway.  Turned off wifi, verified I had cell data working and was able to make a call.  Turned wifi back on.

Went outside.  I still see only US GPS and Russian Glonass satellites.  I am using 4 different apps.  Physics Toolbox, GPSTest, GPS Test, and GNSS Compare. 

Verified on map of satellites -- there's a Galileo at 77degrees up -- almost "overhead."  It's not showing up or mislabeled as another type.

It was worth a try.  Have you seen this work?  

Do the people that designed it say it should work?  

Or does it just "support it"  ie the Snapdragon chip has the capability, but Motorola hasn't chosen to enable it?  Yet.....?

Options

2923 Posts

02-11-2016

US

3016 Signins

57796 Page Views

• Message 5 of 13

2020-07-21, 14:21 PM

@ TorqueMasterB wrote:

I was hoping to avoid that, until I'm sure I'm keeping it.  Shouldn't matter anyway, what if I want to use the device sim-less?

But I swapped it in anyway.  Turned off wifi, verified I had cell data working and was able to make a call.  Turned wifi back on.

Went outside.  I still see only US GPS and Russian Glonass satellites.  I am using 4 different apps.  Physics Toolbox, GPSTest, GPS Test, and GNSS Compare. 

Verified on map of satellites -- there's a Galileo at 77degrees up -- almost "overhead."  It's not showing up or mislabeled as another type.

It was worth a try.  Have you seen this work?  

Do the people that designed it say it should work?  

Or does it just "support it"  ie the Snapdragon chip has the capability, but Motorola hasn't chosen to enable it?  Yet.....?

Thanks for testing that. You ask some good questions. I just don't have the answers to them. Let me bounce them back to some people on my end and I'll get back to you ASAP.

-Tom

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

8 Posts

06-13-2020

US

8 Signins

75 Page Views

• Message 6 of 13

2020-07-21, 18:35 PM

Tom, 

Thanks for the honest answers, and for looking deeper into this.  

It's refreshing to find a support forum where the answers don't sound like a corporate drone reading from a script.  Or where questions just sit there unanswered.  So thank you for that as well.

I'd like to give you Kudos, but I haven't found the "star on the left side of the page"  I think it says -- to do so.  :(

Options

2923 Posts

02-11-2016

US

3016 Signins

57796 Page Views

• Message 7 of 13

2020-07-23, 15:49 PM

@ TorqueMasterB wrote:

Tom, 

Thanks for the honest answers, and for looking deeper into this.  

It's refreshing to find a support forum where the answers don't sound like a corporate drone reading from a script.  Or where questions just sit there unanswered.  So thank you for that as well.

I'd like to give you Kudos, but I haven't found the "star on the left side of the page"  I think it says -- to do so.  :(

Thank you for the feedback. I'm glad I can make a difference. As for your questions. I don't have an answer yet from our engineers that I'm comfortable with. I just replied back to them asking for clarification. 

-Tom

Options

2923 Posts

02-11-2016

US

3016 Signins

57796 Page Views

• Message 8 of 13

2020-07-24, 3:13 AM

@TorqueMasterB 

I wanted to drop in and let you know we did test GPS and saw some errors that we need to root cause still. I'll be completely honest this will likely take some time to root cause and find a resolution. I can't guarantee 100% it will be fixed, but we are actively investigating. I will update you further as I have more information. 

-Tom

Options

8 Posts

06-13-2020

US

8 Signins

75 Page Views

• Message 9 of 13

2020-07-24, 17:09 PM

@ MotorolaTom wrote:

@TorqueMasterB 

I wanted to drop in and let you know we did test GPS and saw some errors that we need to root cause still. I'll be completely honest this will likely take some time to root cause and find a resolution. I can't guarantee 100% it will be fixed, but we are actively investigating. I will update you further as I have more information. 

-Tom

Ok, thank you for the update.  Not good news, but it makes sense it's that not a top priority.  Is the situation the same of all Motorola/Lenovo phones that have Galileo capability?   I'm pretty sure I saw a mention of a Motorola user's phone working on Galileo while in Europe.  It may have been 2018/2019 or possibly earlier model though.  You may want to go back to the previous posts and G7 thread and put some asterisks next to the "Galileo support" entries...

If you still have their ears, while they're still working on it, I'd like to lobby for more user control over GPS options, if possible.  Specifically, individual toggles for each supported GPS constellation (GPS, Glonass, Galileo, (Beidou)) and of course, a default "Automatic" option too.  It could potentially benefit any Motorola/Lenovo owner using GPS navigation, in the case where any given constellation has glitches, shuts off, gets hacked, or sends false information, intentional or not -- such that the phone's location data could become unusable due to one corrupted source...

Thanks for checking into all of this.  From my limited research, it seems Galileo is currently minimally supported/implemented on phones intended for US users, regardless of manufacturer.  A few high-end models might do it, but having Galileo is not worth that much to me.  Looks like I'll stick with the Moto G Power until the technology matures.

Options

8 Posts

06-13-2020

US

8 Signins

75 Page Views

• Message 10 of 13

2020-09-10, 20:48 PM

Wanted to followup since my last post -- for anyone else considering this phone, but disappointed it does not really support Galileo...

IT IS NOW USING GALILEO SATELLITES!  In addition to GPS and Glonass.

Sometime between July and now (September) Motorola must have pushed an update to add that capability.  I've seen reported accuracy as low as 12.4 feet, but have not tested it in out in the real world.  I do not see any settings to choose which GPS constellations are being used, so I presume it's using all three (or whichever are currently in view) to calculate position. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete