Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G Phonesmoto g power
All Forum Topics
Options

10 Posts

07-09-2021

United States of America

15 Signins

55 Page Views

• Views: 55
  • Message 41 of 84

Re:Security Patch

2021-08-04, 20:43 PM

Also got mine, Android 11 - Security Patch February 2021

This doesn't help too much to run corporate apps (Work profile), since the Security Patch is already going to be 6 months old.

Are we going to get more recent Security Patches anytime soon?

Options

36 Posts

02-22-2021

United States of America

28 Signins

190 Page Views

• Views: 190
  • Message 42 of 84

2021-08-04, 20:56 PM

The security patch that I got is June 1, 2021. 🤔 

Options

457 Posts

08-06-2019

United States of America

1772 Signins

8189 Page Views

• Views: 8189
  • Message 43 of 84

2021-08-04, 21:21 PM

It appears Google Fi is finally pushing out Android 11 to the Moto G Power 2020. Members on Reddit are discussing the update.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MotoG/comments/oxyl4k/google_fi_moto_g_power_2020finally_got_android_11/

Options

36 Posts

02-22-2015

United States of America

47 Signins

597 Page Views

• Views: 597
  • Message 44 of 84

2021-08-05, 0:47 AM

I think the software comes from Motorola.  I have a phone from Consumer Cellular, and it has the same software version as yours .... Software update version is RPM31.Q1-54-13 ... A11.  Consumer Cellular also told me they don't control updates ... they come from Motorola.  Consumer Cellular also only adds their App, which is available at the play store, to the phone. 

My phone also has a model number which is unique to Consumer Cellular ... XT2041-6.  I have asked, but never got an answer from Motorola as to what the difference is between my phone and the USA XT2041-4.  Considering everyone is getting the same software version, I assume the model number covers the special Consumer Cellular box that the phone came in.

I had lots of problems after I installed the update, but after a factory reset, all the problems went away. No lags, no hang ups, camera, voice calls, etc., all work perfectly.

That is, except for my battery life is now to 2 days, and not 4 as it was with A10.  After a full charge and  automatically putting the phone in do not disturb, it shows up at 98 percent power used in the morning.  When I look at the details, it does not show any apps that used any power.  With A10, it used to show something crazy like 14 days, and it was always at 100 pct in the morning.

I see power complaints from other phone manufactures, like Samsung on A11 with this same problem, so it's most likely a Google A11 problem.  The big problem we have is Google will fix this in the next release, but we will never get it because updates stop at A11 for these phones.

Motorola needs to at least keep up with security patches, because my phone, after the A11 update, is still on F1burary 1, 2021.

Just an FYI

Mel

Options

457 Posts

08-06-2019

United States of America

1772 Signins

8189 Page Views

• Views: 8189
  • Message 45 of 84

2021-08-05, 2:21 AM

"I think the software comes from Motorola."

According to the website Synopsis.com,

It’s actually involves three entities. Back in 2011 during Google’s I/O keynote speech, Google declared a partnership with OEMs and carriers to guarantee timely Android updates. The responsibility for deploying the patches ultimately falls on original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) and carriers, who need to test the security updates on their devices to ensure that they do not break any functionality. Google does provide updates for its Pixel devices directly to end users, but given how Android is designed, Google cannot simply push out arbitrary security updates to all Android devices.

The problem is that OEMs and carriers are responsible not only for pushing out the updates but also for displaying the latest month for which Google’s monthly updates have been applied to a device. There may be legitimate reasons why an OEM or carrier may choose not to push out a security update for a particular type of device. For example,

1) The relevant code/functionality may not exist on a particular device. If there’s a security update for a fingerprint scanner-related functionality and a device does not have a fingerprint scanner, there may be no need to deploy the update to the device.

2) The update may break some functionality on the device. Pushing out the update may require many other changes on a particular device that require a lot of time to implement.

3) The OEM or carrier may not have the time to implement and test all updates. It may choose to deploy critical updates while ignoring low-severity issues.

Source Links:

https://www.synopsys.com/blogs/software-security/android-oem-mobile-security-updates/

https://www.engadget.com/2011-05-10-google-partners-with-oems-and-carriers-to-guarantee-android-upda.html

Options

17 Posts

04-29-2015

United States of America

17 Signins

65 Page Views

• Views: 65
  • Message 46 of 84

2021-08-05, 20:44 PM

@Agent_Sandeep , we're all being very clear with you that this continued vague promise of unspecified future action is not impressive or useful.  This needs to escalate.  Clearly you lack the authority and/or capability to resolve this.  How do we escalate this?

Options

36 Posts

02-22-2015

United States of America

47 Signins

597 Page Views

• Message 47 of 84

2021-08-06, 1:22 AM

That info from 2011 is a long time ago, in cell phone years. Many years ago when I was working, I used that same info to convince the company I worked for to buy ( before the Iphone existed)  Blackberry devices. At the time, they were the only company that had a secure business end to end solution, and kept there stuff updated.  Currently,  I have a buddy that uses the update issue to convince his company to stay with Iphones.

I have asked Consumer Cellular several times and they told me they have nothing to do with software updates and do not modify the Motorola software in anyway.  The A11 software load I got has the same version number that others have reported, from other carriers.

Some other carriers may add a lot of custom stuff to their (common in the past)  phone, and then it would make sense that they would do the update/testing/development/hosting.  The Amazon prime phones are different for sure.  I don't think a vendor like Motorola or Samsung, would want to maintain 20 versions of carrier software for the same model of phone.

I also got A11 one day after complaining  on this site and updating my provide information.  Other, unlocked, Moto phones I had in the past, also had the same update delays.

So, it's really hard to determine exactly what is going on for everyone.  But at least for Consumer Cellular, I can't see them controlling/testing/developing/ hosting software updates, because they are just a really big call center, that's (MVNO) reselling AT&T service.

Hope this helps

Mel

Options

36 Posts

02-22-2015

United States of America

47 Signins

597 Page Views

• Message 48 of 84

2021-08-06, 1:28 AM

That is really great.

I got just got A11 and am stuck on the Feb 1 patch.

Where did you get your phone?

Maybe there is hope for the rest of us

Mel

Options

50 Posts

03-26-2018

United States of America

103 Signins

815 Page Views

• Views: 815
  • Message 49 of 84

2021-08-06, 11:14 AM

I just got a G Power 2020 a few weeks ago. I enjoy reading the comments here. Nothing has changed on these forums. It keeps the prices low so I can buy a bunch of Moto phones. I have an arsenal of moto phones in use right now. This one is my backup from Tracfone. It replaces my G6. Anyway Android 11 on it. With Security Patch June 1st 2021 for me. My G7 is my primary and is due for an upgrade soon. Customer service has treated me well in the past. 

Options

13 Posts

07-01-2021

United States of America

14 Signins

65 Page Views

• Views: 65
  • Message 50 of 84

2021-08-06, 14:31 PM

@ mark-mark wrote:

I just got a G Power 2020 a few weeks ago. I enjoy reading the comments here. Nothing has changed on these forums. It keeps the prices low so I can buy a bunch of Moto phones. I have an arsenal of moto phones in use right now. This one is my backup from Tracfone. It replaces my G6. Anyway Android 11 on it. With Security Patch June 1st 2021 for me. My G7 is my primary and is due for an upgrade soon. Customer service has treated me well in the past. 

Hi mark-mark:  Are you on Google Fi?  Trying to see if anybody on this carrier has received the June 2021 update.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms