07-15-2017

US

193 Signins

653 Page Views

• Views: 653
  • Message 1 of 12

Where are the updates Moto G Power?

2020-10-07, 8:00 AM

Overall great phone with 2 critical failures. 1. No regular updates. It's early October and the G Power is on a July update? 2. No full screen option in display settings. What's going on? My Moto G7 is on a August update and has a full screen option in the display settings. It's so nice to select apps to go full screen. Crazy that a prior generation would get better support than current generation. Doesn't make any sense.

Options

49 Posts

07-09-2017

US

60 Signins

453 Page Views

• Views: 453
  • Message 2 of 12

Re:Where are the updates Moto G Power?

2020-10-07, 10:06 AM

This has always been an issue with Lenovo. Same with my previous new Moto/Lenovo phone, a Moto G5 Plus a few years ago. Good hardware, but weak software support. Security updates delayed by months sort of defeats the purpose.

Myself, I wait until it's apparent that there are no serious hardware issues, and then flash a well-supported custom ROM. Security updates often within a few days of the release by Google, and a greatly increased level of customization and support are the benefits. Rooting is also possible if desired, but is not required.

There is active development of custom ROMs and custom recovery software for the "sofia"/"sofiar"/"sofiap" phones... you can learn more on XDA and Telegram boards.

Options

753 Posts

08-15-2020

GB

286 Signins

7410 Page Views

• Views: 7410
  • Message 3 of 12

2020-10-07, 13:56 PM

My daughter's year old Samsung Note is still on July security patch. Any delays is rolling out updates or patches are not solely the responsibility of phone manufacturers (OEMs). Carriers and SoC makers can keep others waiting. Some OEMs have very small ranges so universal patches are less complex. Patches will be cumulative so missing a month or two is not putting phones at risk. Google also puts out patches direct to phones and checks all installed apps and of course it behoves us all to take care about what we install and to have good security of our own in place (anti-malware, script blocking browsers etc). Google's own phones are not always first to get patches & updates and early roll-outs can sometimes result in buggy releases.
Worth noting also that 01 July is not a date - every month there are two security patches released for Android always named 01 and 05 but may not be available until late in the month.

Motorola has at least four phones in the Android One program with three years of monthly patches (as opposed to regular) and two years of OS updates.

The full screen option mentioned should be more of a concern. I just checked my G7 and G8 series phones and yes, the G7 has full screen option in display settings where my G8 has not but my G8 can and does utilize full screen in individual app options. Screen size and ratio play a part so full screen can result in a stretched screen with distortion or missing closed captions etc.

■ I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position. ■ Please search the forum before posting. I do not respond to unsolicited PMs ■ Site Rules: https://tinyurl.com/yxlqjnal ■ Site Advice: https://tinyurl.com/yxchoq72 ■ If you post a question and no-one answers it does not mean no-one is thinking about it ■
Options

49 Posts

07-09-2017

US

60 Signins

453 Page Views

• Message 4 of 12

2020-10-07, 14:22 PM

The carriers might add some delay... but Lenovo also has the option of placing the update file on their website for update using the Rescue and Smart Assistant program for those who want it promptly, especially for those with "unlocked" phones. 

Options

11366 Posts

03-05-2018

US

1161 Signins

157510 Page Views

• Views: 157510
  • Message 5 of 12

2020-10-08, 14:01 PM

Hi D1g1tals, GoodOlDan,

I would like to assist you both. For the security update, the September security update should be coming in the next week or so, pending any delays for retail US devices. As for the full screen option, we will look into why the phone is currently missing the setting for full screen. Thank you.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

145 Posts

08-06-2019

US

229 Signins

2194 Page Views

• Views: 2194
  • Message 6 of 12

2020-10-09, 0:15 AM

Hello Agent_Rich,

Carrier-branded Motorola phones usually receive updates. Verizon released the September Security Patch QPMS30.80-58-1-8 for their branded Moto G Power. However, many of us purchased our devices through vendors like Best Buy, Amazon or Motorola. Are we guaranteed to receive our updates? Will T-Mobile, Verizon and AT&T release these updates even though our devices are unlocked? If not, do we have the option to manually update our devices with the Lenovo Moto Smart Assistant (LMSA)? If so, could you explain the process or refer us to an instructional video? Thanks.

Options

24 Posts

07-15-2017

US

193 Signins

653 Page Views

• Message 7 of 12

2020-10-09, 11:16 AM

Thank you for the update Rich! Yeah I have the Moto G Power unlocked I purchased directly from Motorola. I wish every app would function like the home screen. Where the home button and the top screen info(time, battery, signal, etc.) overlays on top of whatever background/app is being used. Where there are no black bars on the top and bottom of the screen. Apple does a great job in this area and makes each app immersive, where Android puts those horrible bars on the top and bottom. I get it. It's much easier for Appleto code for just a few devices vs. Android coding for all the different manufacturers. Is there anyway humanly or beyond possible for this phone to be immersive in apps with no bars on the top and bottom?

Options

49 Posts

07-09-2017

US

60 Signins

453 Page Views

• Message 8 of 12

2020-10-09, 12:11 PM

Of course... most of us who bought Android phones did it because we like those bars. If you don't like the UI, an Apple may have been a better choice?

Options

24 Posts

07-15-2017

US

193 Signins

653 Page Views

• Message 9 of 12

2020-10-14, 16:05 PM

Just got the September update. Still no fullscreen option for apps, lame. Also, the speakerphone on this phone is junk. People constantly complain about me cutting in and out when I'm on speakerphone. My Moto G7 Power is a much better phone than the Moto G Power. So far this phone is a fail!

Options

24 Posts

07-15-2017

US

193 Signins

653 Page Views

• Message 10 of 12

2020-10-27, 20:29 PM

The speakerphone appears to be a known issue. Another family member that has a G Power has confirmed the speakerphone clarity issue with people unable to hear users of Moto G Power when the G Power is on speakerphone. We need 2 fixes Moto/Lenovo... 1.Speakerphone issue - drops in sound clarity for other party when Moto G Power is on speakerphone. 2. Full screen option in display settings. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete