Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Unlockable PhonesMOTOROLA Android Developer Community
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

01-16-2021

United States of America

4 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 1 of 17

Unable to toggle OEM Unlock in developer options (i.e. it is greyed out)

2021-01-16, 16:04 PM

I just purchased a U.S. variant [XT2115-1] of the G Stylus (2021) from Amazon, and I am unable to toggle the "OEM Unlocking" option in the developer menu.  I was successful at getting the bootloader unlock code from the Moto website, and my device CID is 0x0032 [which I believe is on the approved list of Moto devices in the bootloader unlock program].

Can someone please advise what can be done to fix this problem?  I aim to do some development on this device, and it is not allowing me to do so.

Thank you.

Options

4789 Posts

02-11-2016

United States of America

3272 Signins

73451 Page Views

• Views: 73451
  • Message 2 of 17

Re:Unable to toggle OEM Unlock in developer options (i.e. it is greyed out)

2021-01-16, 18:42 PM

@ pjldrum wrote:

I just purchased a U.S. variant [XT2115-1] of the G Stylus (2021) from Amazon, and I am unable to toggle the "OEM Unlocking" option in the developer menu.  I was successful at getting the bootloader unlock code from the Moto website, and my device CID is 0x0032 [which I believe is on the approved list of Moto devices in the bootloader unlock program].

Can someone please advise what can be done to fix this problem?  I aim to do some development on this device, and it is not allowing me to do so.

Thank you.

Thanks for posting. I'm going to move your post to the developer community. However, once there, please generate a bug report (Steps Below) when you try to enable OEM Unlocking and share the link to the bug report. We'll try to look into what's happening. 

1. Go to Settings -> About Phone -> Tap on Build number 7 times on the build number to go into the developer options mode]
2. After the above steps Developer options will be enabled.
3. Go to Settings ->System -> Advanced -> Developer options -> Enable USB debugging > Toggle On
4. Enable Settings -> System -> Advanced -> Developer options -> Enable Bug Report shortcut > Toggle On
5. Once the issue is reproduced, Go to Settings -> System -> Advanced -> Developer options -> Click on take bug report or Press Power button and then choose Bug Report from the Power-down menu.
6. Wait for some time until the bug report is collected. It takes around 3 to 4 minutes to collect the Bug Report.
7. Then upload the BugReport to your personal Google Drive and then share the link to the bug report on the forums in a reply.
8. Provide observations of what you saw happen right before the bug report was taken. Please indicate the time that you observed the behavior in local time.

FYI, there may be a delay in getting back to you as we (the moto team) are not as active on the weekends.

-Tom

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up icon on the bottom right to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

5 Posts

01-16-2021

United States of America

4 Signins

20 Page Views

• Message 3 of 17

2021-01-16, 19:45 PM

Thank you, Tom...link attached:

removed - Privacy - Rich

Unable to say what did / did not happen; I simply cannot enable "OEM Unlock" from the developer menu because it is greyed out.

Options

3 Posts

10-06-2020

United States of America

3 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 4 of 17

2021-01-17, 5:41 AM

I am having the exact same problem with the 2021 Moto G Power (XT2117-4).

Purchased one from Amazon and thought it was defective with the OEM Unlocking greyed out. Now purchased a second locally from Best buy and same issue. OEM Unlocking still greyed out completely and cannot toggle.... 

What is going on with the 2021 moto device releases??? 

Options

3 Posts

01-17-2021

United States of America

4 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 5 of 17

2021-01-17, 8:51 AM

I have the same issue with the Moto Power. If I thought it was possible Motorola isn't going to allow these to be unlocked I wouldn't have bought this phone. Never had this issue with any other generation of the Moto G phones. Bought at Best Buy.

Options

5 Posts

01-16-2021

United States of America

4 Signins

20 Page Views

• Message 6 of 17

2021-01-18, 18:40 PM

Very interesting--I was now able to toggle "OEM Unlock"; it seems that the option was now made available after a few days.  Perhaps it was a protection period?  Not sure..

Options

3 Posts

01-17-2021

United States of America

4 Signins

10 Page Views

• Message 7 of 17

2021-01-19, 2:23 AM

I tried again today and it worked. Something must have updated????

Options

3 Posts

10-06-2020

United States of America

3 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 8 of 17

2021-01-19, 12:05 PM

What carrier are you using? I suspect they fixed Moto's issue and recognized it as an unlocked phone but... 

It shouldn't be like this on an unlocked phone. Just out of the box the option should be enabled like on past phones. Moto needs to let us know what the issue is and what has changed. The Moto Power 2020 did not have this issue. I have setup 5 of those. The 2 Moto power 2021's both are greyed out for me.

Options

3 Posts

01-17-2021

United States of America

4 Signins

10 Page Views

• Message 9 of 17

2021-01-19, 23:22 PM

@ JaysonMVL wrote:

What carrier are you using? I suspect they fixed Moto' issue and recognized it as an unlocked phone but... 

Cricket Wireless

Options

13030 Posts

03-05-2018

United States of America

1251 Signins

170305 Page Views

• Views: 170305
  • Message 10 of 17

2021-01-20, 14:59 PM

Hi pjldrum L321

Glad you're now able to enable the option. Are you all set now?

Hi JaysonMVL

Not sure what's going with this, but we can ask around. Please send us a bug report as we previously requested. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Click the thumbs up button to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)