Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G Phonesmoto g stylus 5G
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

07-20-2021

United States of America

5 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 1 of 5

Camera issues with certain apps

2021-07-20, 21:54 PM

My issue is with the camera and when apps want to use it for functions,

Such as with apps like Pokemon GO that use the AR services with the camera hardware.

When it wants to use the camera hardware, it can use it once for it's AR functions (such as feeding or taking photos), then from then on it will no longer work, even as far as showing a black screen when the camera is accessed.

It's only happening on this model, not on a One 5G Ace that I also tested this out on.

Usually have to restart to get it working, or forcibly start terminating tasks, but it's so quick to revert to misbehaving again.

I feel that something either is holding onto the camera hardware or it's not able to 'lend' itself to the 3rd party apps to work properly.

Options

6004 Posts

02-11-2016

United States of America

3358 Signins

81031 Page Views

• Views: 81031
  • Message 2 of 5

Re:Camera issues with certain apps

2021-07-21, 20:24 PM

@ Meowstic wrote:

My issue is with the camera and when apps want to use it for functions,

Such as with apps like Pokemon GO that use the AR services with the camera hardware.

When it wants to use the camera hardware, it can use it once for it's AR functions (such as feeding or taking photos), then from then on it will no longer work, even as far as showing a black screen when the camera is accessed.

It's only happening on this model, not on a One 5G Ace that I also tested this out on.

Usually have to restart to get it working, or forcibly start terminating tasks, but it's so quick to revert to misbehaving again.

I feel that something either is holding onto the camera hardware or it's not able to 'lend' itself to the 3rd party apps to work properly.

Hello and thanks for posting. I can see how this would be frustrating. I've seen the black screen thing on multiple models over the last year with Pokemon Go. However, it's not so intermittent as you're describing. It's either it doesn't work at all or does work. That being said, are you seeing this issue on any other 3rd party app that uses the camera? If so which other apps? 

Let me know, I'd like to test on my device.

Thanks,

Tom

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up icon on the bottom right to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

3 Posts

07-20-2021

United States of America

5 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 3 of 5

2021-07-22, 2:08 AM

I try to use GO mainly on this handset for the time being, but I did try another app that uses the camera for AR purposes: Angry Birds AR

I ran it for about 10 rounds, and then home screen/exited out of it and immediately launched it again, froze on the second branding logo before the AR camera is supposed to activate, with a black screen.

It feels like the apps can't request the camera access a second time, but force closing the app and launching it again has a chance to let it use the camera, or it remains with the black screen.

With GO, repeatedly exiting and re-entering the AR functions can eventually get the camera to display what it sees through the lens, but you can't use the AR functions to map out a space to use said features.

Options

6004 Posts

02-11-2016

United States of America

3358 Signins

81031 Page Views

• Views: 81031
  • Message 4 of 5

2021-07-22, 20:19 PM

@ Meowstic wrote:

I try to use GO mainly on this handset for the time being, but I did try another app that uses the camera for AR purposes: Angry Birds AR

I ran it for about 10 rounds, and then home screen/exited out of it and immediately launched it again, froze on the second branding logo before the AR camera is supposed to activate, with a black screen.

It feels like the apps can't request the camera access a second time, but force closing the app and launching it again has a chance to let it use the camera, or it remains with the black screen.

With GO, repeatedly exiting and re-entering the AR functions can eventually get the camera to display what it sees through the lens, but you can't use the AR functions to map out a space to use said features.

Thanks for the info, so it's only apps that use the camera for AR and not apps like Instagram, Facebook, or Snapchat. I'll see what I can find out on mine. In the meantime, the next time it locks up on you, can you generate a bug report and share it with me?

Bug Report steps.

1. Go to Settings -> About Phone -> Tap on Build number 7 times on the build number to go into the developer options mode]
2. After the above steps Developer options will be enabled.
3. Go to Settings ->System -> Advanced -> Developer options -> Enable USB debugging > Toggle On
4. Enable Settings -> System -> Advanced -> Developer options -> Enable Bug Report shortcut > Toggle On
5. Once the issue is reproduced, Go to Settings -> System -> Advanced -> Developer options -> Click on take bug report or Press Power button and then choose Bug Report from the Power-down menu.
6. Wait for some time until the bug report is collected. It takes around 3 to 4 minutes to collect the Bug Report.
7. Then upload the BugReport to your personal Google Drive and then share the link to the bug report on the forums in a reply.
8. Provide observations of what you saw happen right before the bug report was taken. Please indicate the time that you observed the behavior in local time.

Thanks,

Tom

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up icon on the bottom right to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

3 Posts

07-20-2021

United States of America

5 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 5 of 5

2021-08-01, 0:25 AM

Sorry about taking so long to reply back, work's been leaving me too tired this last week.

Here's a bug report; I wasn't sure which one of the two you needed though. I went with the first option.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1J3ScR4nneeDNODm40DQzeRIAzhORiwSK/view?usp=drivesdk

Attempt on attached screenshot, 4:51pm PST

Launched into an AR function from within app that has AR functions, to black screen.

Screenshot_20210731-165105.png
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms