Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G Phonesmoto g stylus / moto g pro
All Forum Topics
Options

18 Posts

11-14-2014

Venezuela (Bolivarian Republic of)

16 Signins

173 Page Views

• Views: 173
  • Message 1 of 7

After latest android update, screen does not fill end-to-end.

2021-04-29, 16:00 PM

Hi all,

After the Android 11 update the screen does not fill end-to-end (over the camera notch). I have changed the Full Screen settings for several apps (e.g. YouTube, Firefox, Disney+, etc.) and it still shows black bars around the screen.

Any ideas?

TIA,

Luis

Answer
Options

18 Posts

11-14-2014

16 Signins

173 Page Views

Re:After latest android update, screen does not fill end-to-end.

2021-05-31, 13:10 PM

I'm going to ascribe this to an app issue. I haven't had a response from Disney+ support and the full screen problem seems to be hit or miss. Let's close the ticket

Replies(6)
Options

14146 Posts

03-05-2018

United States of America

1304 Signins

177345 Page Views

• Views: 177345
  • Message 2 of 7

2021-04-30, 14:53 PM

Hi Luis,

Looks like it's an app limitation. I will ask around and see if I can get more info. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Click the thumbs up button to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

18 Posts

11-14-2014

16 Signins

173 Page Views

• Message 3 of 7

2021-04-30, 17:04 PM

Rich,

Thanks for your answer. Here are some of the things I have found, after clearing the app’s cache and restarting the phone:

• Apps like Disney+, YouTube and Firefox (when playing videos) that worked OK with Android 10 don’t fill the screen after updating to Android 11.
  • When testing the issue using YouTube, there were a couple of times when the video went full screen at the beginning, for just an instant, before reverting to the non-full screen version. Haven’t been able to repeat this behavior in a consistent manner.
  • When running the Disney+ app, the display shows correctly in full screen mode when vertical (it overlaps the notch area), but when playing the video in landscape shows black bars around the image (does not overlap the notch area)
  • A test video recorded with the camera cannot be reproduced in full screen mode.
  • Google Play Movies seems to work OK (overlaps the notch area).

It’s a strange problem. I would have said it was an app issue, were it not for YouTube’s strange behavior. I think it’s a toss-up between an OS problem and an APP problem. Just for the heck of it I’m going to report the issue to the Disney+ folks, to try and see if they have can help us with this.

Thanks again,

Luis

P.S. Just curious, Why the boards show my location as India? Although my phone was bought in the US, right now my location is in South America...

Answer
Options

18 Posts

11-14-2014

16 Signins

173 Page Views

• Message 4 of 7

2021-05-31, 13:10 PM

I'm going to ascribe this to an app issue. I haven't had a response from Disney+ support and the full screen problem seems to be hit or miss. Let's close the ticket

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

4384 Posts

03-11-2019

United States of America

773 Signins

61350 Page Views

• Views: 61350
  • Message 5 of 7

2021-06-01, 15:27 PM

Hi LuisRod,

Sure thing. Please don't hesitate to post again in case you need further assistance. If possible, please keep us updated on this. 

Did someone help you today? Press the Thumbs up icon on the bottom right thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

18 Posts

11-14-2014

16 Signins

173 Page Views

• Message 6 of 7

2021-06-02, 22:10 PM

Ok. Found the answer to my issue. Part of the problem is that when using smartphones the user docs are sometimes, to be kind, lacking. That, of course, is a direct consequence of the OS being so user friendly but, as an old hand as a Systems Analyst (more than 40 years and counting), sometimes I find myself wishing for a big reference manual :-).

What happens is that, normally, if you want to see a video in full screen mode you either double tap the screen (works for apps like Firefox) or touch the full screen icon that appear in, say, the lower right corner of the screen (e.g. YouTube). Other apps, like the Disney+ app, automatically rotate the image and show the video in full screen. But this does not extend the image over the camera notch, and hence my initial post.

So what I have found about this is the following: First, it depends on the source material. Depending of the video’s aspect ratio sometimes it will be reproduced with black bars at both sides of the screen. There are some videos that will play automatically over the camera notch (e.g. the trailer for “Raya and the last dragon”) and I suppose that the source material for them was recorded with a different aspect ratio.

You can expand the video over the camera notch “pinching out” with your fingers from the center of the screen while in landscape mode, although in some cases you can lose  a little of the upper and lower parts of the image doing so. So far, this has worked for me with the YouTube and Disney+ apps, not so with Firefox or the Google Play Movies app. The Google Play Movies does show some movies over the camera notch and some not. Again, it depends on the source’s material aspect ratio.

IT IS an app issue, not a Moto G Stylus one, so my apologies to all who spent time (and brain cells) digging for an answer (although it would help if the OS were a little bit more consistent when using the touch screen gestures).

Regards,

Luis

Options

4384 Posts

03-11-2019

United States of America

773 Signins

61350 Page Views

• Views: 61350
  • Message 7 of 7

2021-06-03, 16:42 PM

Hi LuisRod,

Good to know that you have found an answer for this. Please don't hesitate to post again in case you have some questions or you need further assistance.

Best regards,
Zeke
Motorola Support

Did someone help you today? Press the Thumbs up icon on the bottom right thank them with a Kudo!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms