Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G Phonesmoto g stylus / moto g pro
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

11-29-2013

2 Signins

20 Page Views

• Message 1 of 10

Critical Update AFTER Android 11 install???

2021-05-07, 0:10 AM

So I updated my Moto G Stylus on April 30th to Android 11, and everything went fine!

But today (May 6th) my phone has a new critical update with the number RPRS31.Q1-56-9-2.  Notice that the number for the original Android 11 update was RPRS31.Q1-56-9.  But since my phone has already updated to Android 11, I am left wondering why did I get this new update and is it legit?

RPRS31.Q1-56-9-2 Screenshot

Am I being paranoid?  I have heard of malware pretending to be software updates before, so yes I am suspicious.

Thank you!

Jon

Answer
Options

339 Posts

08-06-2019

United States of America

1075 Signins

5554 Page Views

• Views: 5554

Re:Critical Update AFTER Android 11 install???

2021-05-08, 0:15 AM

"How did it update even after I had disabled automatic updates using Developers Options?"

"Smart Updates" maybe the culprit if you didn't disable it. This feature automatically downloads and installs updates when connected to WiFi.

BTW, glad to help. Yeah, Verizon must have literally posted that information this afternoon. When I googled it this morning, there was absolutely nothing on the Web about it. Hopefully someone from Verizon has better sense next time to publish it on the Web prior to sending it out to people's devices. No one likes being out of the loop.

Replies(9)
Options

339 Posts

08-06-2019

United States of America

1075 Signins

5554 Page Views

• Message 2 of 10

2021-05-07, 12:51 PM

There's nothing wrong with being too cautious. It's your device. You make the rules. If you don't feel comfortable installing the update then don't do it. Personally, I usually wait until I can get more information about a particular security or OS update prior to installing it on my device. I gather my information from sources like Lenovo forums, Reddit and XDA. I see what the general consensus is and then I weigh the pros & cons accordingly. I couldn't find any information about this new update you mentioned. BTW, if you feel your device maybe compromised then perform a Factory Reset. Don't forget to backup your data and settings. 

Options

4 Posts

11-29-2013

2 Signins

20 Page Views

• Message 3 of 10

2021-05-07, 13:37 PM
Yeah Presto, I like to do my homework, just like you said. Problem is that either I am the first person to get this update with this screen, or I got malware. I mean even the screenshot is different than the earlier screenshots from other users who installed the original RPRS31.Q1-56-9 update. So the only solution to getting rid of this update (because I cannot restart my phone anymore) is to do a factory reset? And then how do I make sure that other updates don't download to my phone anymore unless I want them to? Thank you! Jon
Options

14146 Posts

03-05-2018

United States of America

1304 Signins

177345 Page Views

• Views: 177345
  • Message 4 of 10

2021-05-07, 14:57 PM

Hi Jon,

If the update came from the Settings > System update then it's a legit update. 

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Click the thumbs up button to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

339 Posts

08-06-2019

United States of America

1075 Signins

5554 Page Views

• Message 5 of 10

2021-05-07, 18:47 PM

"How do I make sure that other updates don't download to my phone anymore unless I want them to?"

There are two ways you can prevent updates from automatically downloading to your device.

1) Go to Settings>System>Advanced>System Updates>Go to the three dots located in the upper right corner of the screen>Update Preference>Smart Updates & disable toggle switch.

2) Go to Settings>About Phone>Build Number & tap "Build Number" seven times. A small pop-up alert telling you that "You are now X steps away from being a developer" with a number that counts down with every additional tap. After the seventh tap, a message will appear telling you that "You are now a developer!" and Developer Options will be unlocked as an option in Settings. After you've finally unlocked Developer Options, go to back to the previous screen. For future reference, the pathway to this new option will be the following:

Go to Settings>System>Advanced>Developer Options>Scroll down to "Automatic System Updates & disable toggle switch.

Just a note of caution. The Developer Options menu is hidden by default, as playing with many of the settings found inside can result in buggy performance. So please be careful!!!

Options

4 Posts

11-29-2013

2 Signins

20 Page Views

• Message 6 of 10

2021-05-07, 23:35 PM

Presto,

I forgot to mention in my earlier post that I had done all of this research a couple of weeks ago.  I found the Developer Options and have ALREADY disabled automatic updates in exactly the same way as you described ... yet I have another automatic update that nobody has heard of. 

I am thinking about doing a factory reset this weekend ...

Thank you for all of your help!

Jon

Options

4 Posts

11-29-2013

2 Signins

20 Page Views

• Message 7 of 10

2021-05-07, 23:49 PM

So I did another quick Google search and I finally found a page from Verizon that has the RPRS31.Q1-56-9-2 number in it (Google did not find it yesterday). 

https://www.verizon.com/support/moto-g-stylus-update/

So it is a Verizon update to the Motorola update of RPRS31.Q1-56-9 which installed Android 11.  It updates the security features of the phone from Feb 2021 to April 2021.  What annoys me is that this page did not pop up in any Google search until after it was downloaded onto my phone.  And, BTW, how did it update even after I had disabled automatic updates using Developers Options?

Sorry, a bit miffed about not being able to find this documentation after spending all day yesterday looking for it!

Thank you all for your help!

Jon

Answer
Options

339 Posts

08-06-2019

United States of America

1075 Signins

5554 Page Views

• Message 8 of 10

2021-05-08, 0:15 AM

"How did it update even after I had disabled automatic updates using Developers Options?"

"Smart Updates" maybe the culprit if you didn't disable it. This feature automatically downloads and installs updates when connected to WiFi.

BTW, glad to help. Yeah, Verizon must have literally posted that information this afternoon. When I googled it this morning, there was absolutely nothing on the Web about it. Hopefully someone from Verizon has better sense next time to publish it on the Web prior to sending it out to people's devices. No one likes being out of the loop.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

22 Posts

12-26-2020

United States of America

27 Signins

115 Page Views

• Views: 115
  • Message 9 of 10

2021-05-09, 20:36 PM

Meanwhile, my Stylus (from Metro) is still stuck at the February Security Update, so it's at least two months out of date, and no update is available. Back to this again, are we? Your agreement with Google requires that this phone be kept up to date for x amount of time with monthly updates, and since you issued Android 11 to us I expect those updates will keep coming for longer than usual? So why is my Security Update red again? Google Play system update is green, patched to April 1. Security is red, patched to February 1. Went through this a few months ago where Security was 3 or 4 months out of date on this same phone. We are not amused.

Options

1 Posts

04-25-2020

United States of America

3 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 10 of 10

2021-06-04, 8:37 AM

I believe COVID may have something to do with it. They are going back and changing headlines and whatnot. If you have any of the old headlines or news articles downloaded on your device, they will be changed to reflect the "newest normal and updated truth". 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms