Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G Phonesmoto g stylus / moto g pro
All Forum Topics
Options

15 Posts

10-08-2021

Poland

13 Signins

115 Page Views

• Views: 115
  • Message 311 of 350

Dot::NFC stopped working in moto g pro

2021-10-22, 10:54 AM
It's weird that update breaks the NFC. It seems not problem with update itself but with update process. I got phone with September update.
Options

11 Posts

10-14-2021

Poland

23 Signins

105 Page Views

• Views: 105
  • Message 312 of 350

Re:NFC stopped working in moto g pro

2021-10-22, 11:17 AM
the fact that the process breaks down may be a good lead, because even the rescue option in "Rescue and Smart Assistant" did not help after uploading the update, 
that is, it helped for several hours, and they did something on the service and it was back with a newer update, maybe they have better update tools ?
if the update is uploaded by the service, it should work until the next security update, it was like that to me
Options

15 Posts

10-08-2021

Poland

13 Signins

115 Page Views

• Message 313 of 350

2021-10-22, 13:56 PM

Not exactly, check what parts they replaced. There should be SP68C57436 what is NFC antenna in used equipment section. Well, it looks like updating process breaks NFC.

I'm wondering if buying a new phone and updating it to the latest version not via Smart Update but with Motorola tools would brake NFC?

@charli75 can you suggest the service to do it? 

Anyone else got a repaired phone and do updates? Does it broke NFC module?

Options

11 Posts

10-14-2021

Poland

23 Signins

105 Page Views

• Views: 105
  • Message 314 of 350

2021-10-23, 17:42 PM

nothing was replaced, just a newly uploaded software,

I installed 10 updates on my new phone including Android 11, on the second day after installing all the updates (last of September 21), nfc stopped working properly

everything was installed by SmartUpdate

now I'm waiting for the phone to come back from the service (first visit after replacement)

)

Options

15 Posts

10-08-2021

Poland

13 Signins

115 Page Views

• Message 315 of 350

2021-10-23, 22:09 PM

@MotorolaTom  

@Agent_Mary  

@Agent_Jess  

To summarize the long story... Moto G Pro comes with the working NFC module but the first security patch (August 2020) brakes it. It's hardware issue. The update crashes NFC totally. The only option is to repair in the service. However, it's not the end; many users claim that the module doesn't work again. Some of them sent their phone a few times to handle the problem. It seams that Smart update process damages the NFC module. When a phone comes back from the repair with the latest software is OK but the next update brakes NFC again and again.

Motorola took almost one year - yes one year - to detect that it's hardware issue and inform what to do.

Users' complaining after a fatal repair are ignored. Clients need to send the phone the next time.

A phone is for daily use also in work. The problem is on Motorola side and they should provide a temporary phone. It'd be good the same or similar.

What's more, in the case of the issue isn't addressed fully as users have problem after repair what I described.  I'd like Motorola to propose their clients changing the phone to other model in this price level (even better for compensation)  without sending the phone 3 times or more and wait weeks.

I feel like buying noname Chinese phone :-/ PS. I had many years ago Chinese NO.1 phone and it was quite OK, everything worked, WiFi antenna was weak but it worked contrary to NFC here ;-)

Options

16 Posts

11-02-2020

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

20 Signins

120 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 120
  • Message 316 of 350

2021-10-26, 16:56 PM
How did you backup your phone in a way that didn't lose your data? I'm not used to restoring from backup and hear that others have had a more incomplete/broken restore from Moto phones compared to other devices, Any tips?
Options

10 Posts

10-26-2021

8 Signins

60 Page Views

• Views: 60
  • Message 317 of 350

2021-10-26, 17:49 PM

I bought this phone in Feb this year and it worked ok until July when the NFC stopped working. I submitted it for repair and about 8-10 days later I had my phone back with the NFC working. Two months on and the NFC has failed again. I have had to submit it for repair again and be without the phone for another 8-10 days (with booking time included). I use the NFC function to check my Freestyle Libre Flash Glucose Device for my Type 1 diabetes management and so not having it is a severe disruption, not to mention not having a phone at all for this period of time too. I accept things go wrong but for it to happen twice is unacceptable and shows that nothing is being done to fix the underlying issue.

I explained to the retailer (John Lewis) and Motorola that I need the NFC and the device for my blood glucose management but they didn't care and were not interested in sending a replacement device or even a loan whilst this one is repaired. I am now without the phone and have a useless Freestyle Libre sensor in my arm that cannot be read except for with the clunky reader that comes with it. I bought a Motorola as I believed it would be reliable and just work like my previous phones from Moto and now I am left feeling pretty let down and not looked after as a loyal customer (I've had four Motos before this!). 

This is not good customer service and in my case is not good for my personal health.

Options

25 Posts

02-11-2021

Netherlands

24 Signins

85 Page Views

• Views: 85
  • Message 318 of 350

2021-10-26, 17:52 PM

To be fair... There is a reason hospitals don't run on consumer electronics...

Options

16 Posts

11-02-2020

20 Signins

120 Page Views

• Message 319 of 350

2021-10-26, 18:13 PM

[Removed]

Options

16 Posts

11-02-2020

20 Signins

120 Page Views

• Message 320 of 350

2021-10-26, 18:14 PM

Buy a trusty phone with NFC from your local second hand refurbished tech shop, e.g. CEX. You'll have a much better experience IMO. Go to a worker there and explain your situation and ask, what's the cheapest device you offer with NFC capabilities, and test it with the reader before you leave. As someone with long-term health issues myself, I am fuming at the way Motorola have let you down, and it seems like, from what I've overhead from other G Pro users that even after repair the NFC could keep failing. Buy a new/old phone that won't let you down, and don't buy it from a place you don't or no longer trust.

@ G Pro Oh No wrote:

I bought this phone in Feb this year and it worked ok until July when the NFC stopped working. I submitted it for repair and about 8-10 days later I had my phone back with the NFC working. Two months on and the NFC has failed again. I have had to submit it for repair again and be without the phone for another 8-10 days (with booking time included). I use the NFC function to check my Freestyle Libre Flash Glucose Device for my Type 1 diabetes management and so not having it is a severe disruption, not to mention not having a phone at all for this period of time too. I accept things go wrong but for it to happen twice is unacceptable and shows that nothing is being done to fix the underlying issue.

I explained to the retailer (John Lewis) and Motorola that I need the NFC and the device for my blood glucose management but they didn't care and were not interested in sending a replacement device or even a loan whilst this one is repaired. I am now without the phone and have a useless Freestyle Libre sensor in my arm that cannot be read except for with the clunky reader that comes with it. I bought a Motorola as I believed it would be reliable and just work like my previous phones from Moto and now I am left feeling pretty let down and not looked after as a loyal customer (I've had four Motos before this!). 

This is not good customer service and in my case is not good for my personal health.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms