Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G Phonesmoto g stylus / moto g pro
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

05-25-2021

United States of America

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 1 of 8

Phone makes horrific screeching noise instead of notification tones

2021-05-25, 3:16 AM

The problems started when I bought this phone (a few months ago). Music and video play acceptably above a certain volume, but the audio will start to cut out every other beat when the audio itself is quiet (unrelated to volume settings). Below 50% volume, the stereo will cut out intermittently, or permanently if the audio is interrupted by a notification, and I have to reboot the app producing the audio to fix it (youtube, Spotify, google music, etc... are all affected). This happens both through the speakers and through headphones. Today I got a notification and instead of making its usual pinging sound for the notification it released an ungodly scream, and from then on about half of my notification sounds have been full volume screaming/static (even with the volume turned down. If the volume is on at all, the sound will be 100% volume ear-splitting noise). About ten minutes ago I tapped the power button and the screen turning off noise was replaced by screaming. I've messed with all of the audio settings, reset them, rebooted the phone, changed the notification sound, everything I can think of. It's had multiple android updates since this started happening, which didn't have any effect on the problem. I'm out of ideas on how to fix this.

Options

4519 Posts

03-11-2019

United States of America

782 Signins

62255 Page Views

• Views: 62255
  • Message 2 of 8

Re:Phone makes horrific screeching noise instead of notification tones

2021-05-25, 15:09 PM

Hi Cosmo19,

I will try my best to help you with this. Please try to perform a hardware test on the speaker which is on the Moto Help/Device help app. If you are still experiencing the screeching sound. We suggest to have the device sent to a service center to have it repaired. Here is a link to get started with the repair:  https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/mcp/service/open/request?linkId=54149943

Best regards,
Zeke
Motorola Support

Did someone help you today? Press the Thumbs up icon on the bottom right thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

2 Posts

06-09-2021

United States of America

2 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 3 of 8

Phone makes horrific screeching noise instead of notification tones

2021-06-09, 11:17 AM
I have been having the same issue. I think it happened after the last update. Ocasionally, the phone will suddenly start making this God awful static screech instead of the audio. The noise also blasts at full volume, which makes for an absolutely horrid experience when using the phone as an alarm clock. Also I don't know if it's related, but recently once, I was using the phone over Bluetooth and it was also playing from the phone's speaker at the same time. Basically, there seems to be something seriously jacked up with the audio stack after the last update. The one thing I noticed that changed related to audio, is that it added a carosel notification to the slide down menu from the top. I can often flip throughs gb these with multiple instances of the same audiomplayer. IE, several of the same Podcast or different instances of VLC. I don't know if these aren't getting cleared out and it's overwhelming something in the audio system or what but there isn't anyway to close these instances. Anyway, just my observations of what changed around audio while trying to troubleshoot this. It seems like it's a software issue as I used this phone for a while before having issues starting a month or so ago.
Options

4519 Posts

03-11-2019

United States of America

782 Signins

62255 Page Views

• Message 4 of 8

2021-06-09, 16:11 PM

HI RamenJunkie,

What troubleshooting steps have you tried? Can you try performing a hardware test on the speaker which is in the Moto Help/Device Help app. Let me know how it goes.

Best regards,
Zeke
Motorola Support

Did someone help you today? Press the Thumbs up icon on the bottom right thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

2 Posts

06-09-2021

United States of America

2 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 5 of 8

2021-06-09, 17:34 PM

As far as troubleshooting, I tried disabling the previously mentioned audio carousel feature.  I have edited my alarm tones to be different ones, and I am using the built in sounds for everything (alarms, notifications) except ringtone.  This problem does not happen all the time but seems to happen around once a week.  Generally it requires restarting the phone to clear the issue out.  For example, this morning my alarm went off with the static sound, I also received some notifications which were the same static noise only quiet.   I set a second alarm which I recorded a sample of as well before rebooting the phone, which cleared the issue.  I also turned off the automatic "night mode" feature to see if that would help.

The video clip is here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KeGxk5r8Hk

Though I turned off the alarm very quickly.  This video does not do any justice to just how absolutely loud this noise is, and the volume controls do not work AT ALL while it's going.  it was supposed to play the sound labeled "Argon", though the selected alarm tone does not seem to have any affect on if the noise activates or not. 

I did a full test on the system test using the app mentioned.  When attempting to play the ringtone through the Phone speaker the test seemed to hang for several minutes with a spinning circle and did not play, though I have been able to play off of the internal speaker before.

Also here is one for the Moto Z

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-Z4/Static-burst-noise-for-ring-or-notification/m-p/4639861

I have set up to take a bug report as mentioned above, though I will need to wait for the problem to reproduce itself to do so.

Options

4519 Posts

03-11-2019

United States of America

782 Signins

62255 Page Views

• Message 6 of 8

2021-06-10, 15:34 PM

Hi RamenJunkie,

Sure, we can wait until you have provided us a bug report on this. If you need steps on how to generate it, please let me know.

Best regards,
Zeke
Motorola Support

Options

2 Posts

05-25-2021

United States of America

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 7 of 8

2021-06-23, 3:46 AM

That's the problem I've been having, is that I can't reproduce the problem to document it. It seems to happen randomly and only with notification tones not native to the system, like application-specific tones and downloaded notification tones. The alarm tones and the diagnostic test samples all work perfectly fine.

Options

14293 Posts

03-05-2018

United States of America

1313 Signins

178190 Page Views

• Views: 178190
  • Message 8 of 8

2021-06-23, 14:24 PM

Hi Cosmo19

That's sounds relevant. Thanks for sharing. If it happens again please don't hesitate to let us know. Please indicate your observations and we'll try understand it further. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Click the thumbs up button to thank them with a Kudo!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms