08-06-2019

US

85 Signins

1014 Page Views

• Views: 1014
  • Message 1 of 10

Available Storage for the Moto G Stylus

2020-04-18, 12:53 PM

Can anyone confirm the actual available storage on this device? According to some reviews on Best Buy, the Android OS takes up at least 20 GB of space. Thanks

Solved! See the solution
Options

435 Posts

12-19-2017

US

609 Signins

5580 Page Views

• Views: 5580
  • Message 2 of 10

Re:Available Storage for the Moto G Stylus

2020-04-20, 16:35 PM

Mine reports 106.4GB.  That being said, I also have a 128GB micro SD card in there and it reports only 119GB of space, so 9GB of storage seems to just automatically vanish into a black hole.  

By the way, I would take the reviews on Best Buy with a grain of salt. They're also reporting that Motorola locked the phone down and won't let the carriers offer wifi calling, VoLTE, etc., all of which work fine on mine with Sprint.  

Options

54 Posts

08-06-2019

US

85 Signins

1014 Page Views

• Message 3 of 10

2020-04-21, 14:55 PM

This is so weird. I usually follow-up on the Moto threads each mornings to see if any of my questions were answered. I actually read your review on Best Buy this morning before visiting the thread. Thanks. Yeah I read the one review about the Wifi Calling supposedly being locked down. That guy didn’t know what he was talking about. However, I do have a few more questions.

1. What were the factors that convinced you to purchase the Moto G Stylus over the Moto G Power?
  2. You mentioned that third-party launchers don’t play nicely with Android 10. However, based on what I’ve read, Google supposedly fixed this problem a few months ago. If I use the latest version of Nova Prime, can I still expect problems on this phone?
  3. An XDA member mentioned that he couldn’t confirm HD Calling/HD Voice working?
  4. Is the stock camera better than the GCAM ports on this device?
  5. How’s the battery life compared to the Moto G7 Power and the newer Moto G Power? With both devices having a large battery, it will be interesting to see if an SD665 1080 screen has longer battery life than an SD632 720 screen.
Options

435 Posts

12-19-2017

US

609 Signins

5580 Page Views

• Message 4 of 10

2020-04-22, 2:41 AM

@ Presto8 wrote:

This is so weird. I usually follow-up on the Moto threads each mornings to see if any of my questions were answered. I actually read your review on Best Buy this morning before visiting the thread. Thanks. Yeah I read the one review about the Wifi Calling supposedly being locked down. That guy didn’t know what he was talking about. However, I do have a few more questions.

1. What were the factors that convinced you to purchase the Moto G Stylus over the Moto G Power?
  2. You mentioned that third-party launchers don’t play nicely with Android 10. However, based on what I’ve read, Google supposedly fixed this problem a few months ago. If I use the latest version of Nova Prime, can I still expect problems on this phone?
  3. An XDA member mentioned that he couldn’t confirm HD Calling/HD Voice working?
  4. Is the stock camera better than the GCAM ports on this device?
  5. How’s the battery life compared to the Moto G7 Power and the newer Moto G Power? With both devices having a large battery, it will be interesting to see if an SD665 1080 screen has longer battery life than an SD632 720 screen.

By your numbers:

1. I do actually like having a stylus, but it was mostly the 128GB of storage over 64GB, and the Moto G Stylus has better cameras (I especially like the dedicated actioncam).

2. I hadn't read or heard anything about 3rd-party launcher issues prior to getting the Stylus. As soon as I installed/restored Nova Launcher Prime on it, I immediately encountered the UI gesture navigation issue (where you can't define a gesture as a "Home" button). I also noticed the lack of a "clear all" option for previous/background apps. When I switched to the stock Moto Launcher all these issues disappeared. Then I noticed at the top of the Nova Launcher settings screen there's a message that states: "Android 10 gesture navigation - Google has not yet made gesture navigation compatible with 3rd party launchers. There is nothing that Nova Launcher can do to change this until a future Android update."

3. Even after Googling it, I don't really know what you mean by HD Calling/HD Voice.  Apparently this is the same thing as VoLTE/Wifi just called something different by the various service providers?  Regardless, I have both wifi calling and VoLTE working on my Stylus activated on Sprint. I can't vouch for the other carriers. Motorola's stance on this seems to be that the phone supports it, but it's up to the carrier to provide/allow it.  

4.  I have not used a GCAM port on this device, but I did use one on my Moto G5S Plus (and it was an older 32-bit GCAM version, too, because that 64-bit phone had a 32-bit Android ROM for whatever silly reason) specifically because the Moto Camera 2 app was so bad. I have not felt the need to search for a GCAM port for the Moto G Stylus at all. I'm not sure if the Moto Camera has been improved or if the camera hardware on this phone is better (or maybe both?), but the stock camera app works great for me (and I'm pretty picky). I don't know if a GCAM port would fully support all the cameras on this phone, as the Pixel 4 only has a two cameras (12mp primary and a 16mp telephoto). I would miss the actioncam camera too much.  I also don't think that a GCAM port would take full advantage of the 40mp primary camera on the Stylus.  

5. I believe the Stylus has a legitimate 2-day+ battery. When I first got this phone, I took it off the charger at 100% charge at like 9:30pm, and after using it a lot (doing a lot of the initial configuring, playing around with the features, etc.) the next day at like 5:30 it was was 70%. I've never had a phone be that frugal with its battery, especially not during the initial setup/use period.  

1 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

54 Posts

08-06-2019

US

85 Signins

1014 Page Views

• Message 5 of 10

2020-04-22, 18:24 PM

Thanks. BTW, I got an official answer from Motorola about the internal storage. Apparently Android OS takes up at least 18GB of internal storage. Agent_Rich posted the following message on the Moto G Power thread> 

"This would depend if the phone is sold by the retail or sold by the carrier. I'll ask around and see if we can confirm this on retail. Thanks."

"I just got an answer. The internal memory of the phone is 64 GB and the Android System took 18 GB. You will get approximately 46 GB free space. "

Options

1 Posts

04-25-2020

US

3 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 6 of 10

2020-04-25, 7:06 AM
I'm still using the Moto g5, it has been a really good phone but it is time for an upgrade. For how long have you have the Moto g stylus, and how much are you liking it? It sounds like it offers a lot for the money, very affordable.
Options

435 Posts

12-19-2017

US

609 Signins

5580 Page Views

• Message 7 of 10

2020-04-27, 4:23 AM

@ Presto8 wrote:

Thanks. BTW, I got an official answer from Motorola about the internal storage. Apparently Android OS takes up at least 18GB of internal storage. Agent_Rich posted the following message on the Moto G Power thread> 

"This would depend if the phone is sold by the retail or sold by the carrier. I'll ask around and see if we can confirm this on retail. Thanks."

"I just got an answer. The internal memory of the phone is 64 GB and the Android System took 18 GB. You will get approximately 46 GB free space. "

Wow, that's pretty ridiculous.  And Moto runs pretty much vanilla Android, too.  I'm sure Samsung users have it a lot worse than we do. 

FYI, 64-bit Windows 10 requires 20GB.  It's ridiculous that a phone OS basically requires the same amount of space.  

Options

45 Posts

11-03-2017

US

201 Signins

1495 Page Views

• Views: 1495
  • Message 8 of 10

2020-06-23, 1:02 AM
My Volte and wifi calling works with metro. Volte has to work in order to use data while making a call
Options

45 Posts

11-03-2017

US

201 Signins

1495 Page Views

• Message 9 of 10

2020-06-23, 1:06 AM
How do you have only 64gb when the device comes with 128gb out of box? Just curious. Cause mine is 128gb bought from metro.
Options

45 Posts

11-03-2017

US

201 Signins

1495 Page Views

• Message 10 of 10

2020-06-23, 1:10 AM
Heres a screenshot of what space is being used. This includes 3rd party apps I have installed as well.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete