12-19-2017

US

616 Signins

5655 Page Views

• Views: 5655
  • Message 1 of 30

Difficulty Activating on Sprint

2020-04-17, 19:45 PM

Having received this phone yesterday, I encountered a lot of difficult getting it activated on Sprint.  The best that an entire Sprint Repair Center/Store could do is get it running 3G and then even that grayed out and stopped working after a few minutes. After trying to activate it myself at home (there is a pandemic going on after all), chatting with Sprint online, eventually going to the only Sprint Store open in the area, and finally back home and via chat again for literally 6 hours, I was finally able to figure it out myself, so I'm posting it here to help others who may be trying to get this device activated on Sprint. 

First of all, you have make sure you have the right SIM card. Sprint, Moto, BestBuy, etc., may tell you a different SIM card, but the only one that will work is SIMOLW416TQ.  

Second, go through the activation process for Sprint. You can supposedly do this online by yourself, but I've tried to do this for 9 different phones now (some were even Sprint branded with a built-in Sprint SIM), and I've never been able to do it without taking it to a Sprint store. I think I was able to get one of those Sprint branded phones activated, but I had to call Sprint -- I couldn't do it online by myself. If this is all you need to do and you have full functionality, then congrats! This did not happen to me, though, and I ended spending 6 hours of my time with Sprint reps both in person and online trying to get working. If your phone still isn't activated, try the following that finally worked for me.

Third, make sure Wifi is turned OFF. Then on the phone go into Settings - Network & Internet - Mobile Network  and make sure Roaming is turned off, Preferred network type is set to LTE (recommended), and then under the Advanced menu make sure that System Select is set to Home Only. All this makes sure that when you try to activate the phone that is truly only trying to connect to Sprint and not roaming on Verizon, etc. 

Fourth, you have to update the PRL and profile. On previous phones these options have been under Carrier Settings in the Mobile Network menu. On this phone (maybe on all Android 10 phones???) those settings are in a completely different menu under Settings - System - Advanced - System Update. From this menu select Update Profile and be patient. If you don't have a true data connection this will be pretty slow, but it should still work. It may come back and said that it failed. Regardless, go on to Update PRL. Again, this might take a while if you don't have at true data connection, but it should eventually work. It may also come back and say it failed. If Update Profile fails, but Update PRL works, then re-attempt Update Profile. If they both fail, then re-attempt both with wifi turned ON.

When I did the above, it finally worked after six hours of failure. For me Update Profile failed, but Update PRL worked. After a successful Update PRL, the Update Profile worked and I was finally connected to LTE. 

Hope this helps someone. 

Options

8 Posts

04-26-2020

US

8 Signins

90 Page Views

• Views: 90
  • Message 2 of 30

Re:Difficulty Activating on Sprint

2020-04-26, 0:17 AM

Hi 

I have the moto g stylus with sprint sim card, the call and text works, while the data is no lucky. 

those settings are in a completely different menu under Settings - System - Advanced - System Update. From this menu select Update Profile and be patient. 

Under this Settings - System - Advanced - System Update.  I didn't see any option for Update Profile and PRL at all.  :(

So I can't update this profile and PRL, then no data.

@ Internetpilot wrote:

Having received this phone yesterday, I encountered a lot of difficult getting it activated on Sprint.  The best that an entire Sprint Repair Center/Store could do is get it running 3G and then even that grayed out and stopped working after a few minutes. After trying to activate it myself at home (there is a pandemic going on after all), chatting with Sprint online, eventually going to the only Sprint Store open in the area, and finally back home and via chat again for literally 6 hours, I was finally able to figure it out myself, so I'm posting it here to help others who may be trying to get this device activated on Sprint. 

First of all, you have make sure you have the right SIM card. Sprint, Moto, BestBuy, etc., may tell you a different SIM card, but the only one that will work is SIMOLW416TQ.  

Second, go through the activation process for Sprint. You can supposedly do this online by yourself, but I've tried to do this for 9 different phones now (some were even Sprint branded with a built-in Sprint SIM), and I've never been able to do it without taking it to a Sprint store. I think I was able to get one of those Sprint branded phones activated, but I had to call Sprint -- I couldn't do it online by myself. If this is all you need to do and you have full functionality, then congrats! This did not happen to me, though, and I ended spending 6 hours of my time with Sprint reps both in person and online trying to get working. If your phone still isn't activated, try the following that finally worked for me.

Third, make sure Wifi is turned OFF. Then on the phone go into Settings - Network & Internet - Mobile Network  and make sure Roaming is turned off, Preferred network type is set to LTE (recommended), and then under the Advanced menu make sure that System Select is set to Home Only. All this makes sure that when you try to activate the phone that is truly only trying to connect to Sprint and not roaming on Verizon, etc. 

Fourth, you have to update the PRL and profile. On previous phones these options have been under Carrier Settings in the Mobile Network menu. On this phone (maybe on all Android 10 phones???) those settings are in a completely different menu under Settings - System - Advanced - System Update. From this menu select Update Profile and be patient. If you don't have a true data connection this will be pretty slow, but it should still work. It may come back and said that it failed. Regardless, go on to Update PRL. Again, this might take a while if you don't have at true data connection, but it should eventually work. It may also come back and say it failed. If Update Profile fails, but Update PRL works, then re-attempt Update Profile. If they both fail, then re-attempt both with wifi turned ON.

When I did the above, it finally worked after six hours of failure. For me Update Profile failed, but Update PRL worked. After a successful Update PRL, the Update Profile worked and I was finally connected to LTE. 

Hope this helps someone. 

Options

445 Posts

12-19-2017

US

616 Signins

5655 Page Views

• Message 3 of 30

2020-04-27, 4:17 AM

@ Kongkonger wrote:

Hi 

I have the moto g stylus with sprint sim card, the call and text works, while the data is no lucky. 

those settings are in a completely different menu under Settings - System - Advanced - System Update. From this menu select Update Profile and be patient. 

Under this Settings - System - Advanced - System Update.  I didn't see any option for Update Profile and PRL at all.  :(

So I can't update this profile and PRL, then no data.

Are you sure you have the correct SIM card?  Also, did you go through Sprint (either online or in their stores) to activate it?  

Options

8 Posts

04-26-2020

US

8 Signins

90 Page Views

• Message 4 of 30

2020-04-27, 4:48 AM

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, sim card is the correct one. but I purchased the unlocked phone from best buy because I could pick it up at the same day.

It was wired that I can't find any option under the system update except the motorola software update.

I don't know the exact issue.  Chatted with Sprint, they said that it might be Motorola's software issue.

Options

8 Posts

04-26-2020

US

8 Signins

90 Page Views

• Message 5 of 30

2020-04-27, 4:55 AM

By the way, I did have the data with 3G, but not 4G (LTE).

Have anyone tell you about the carrier reset like 72786 with several combinations of */#?  I tried several told by Sprint, none of them works.

Thank you again.

Options

7 Posts

02-22-2018

US

7 Signins

32 Page Views

• Views: 32
  • Message 6 of 30

2020-04-27, 15:27 PM

For what it's worth -- I activated an unlocked G Stylus on Tello, which is an MVNO that uses the Sprint network. Steps I had to take were: 

• Make absolutely certain you've got the right SIM card. SIMOLW416TQ. This is NOT part of the usual Sprint 4-in-1 SIM kit like you might expect. No Sprint store (over the phone) had any knowledge of where I could get this card; I would not assume that Sprint/BestBuy gave you the right card. There also seems to be some misinformation out there as a Tello technician initially told me their reference database showed that either the 506Q or 416TQ card would also work, and that was not the case. 
  • Activate phone+SIM on Tello
  • Settings | System | Advanced | System Update | Update PRL and Update Profile. Wait/restart phone. 
  • At this point I had cell service, but no data. Had to manually input an ASM. Did this under Settings | Network and Internet | Mobile Network | Access Point Names. The specific ASM values I got from the Tello web site. 
Options

445 Posts

12-19-2017

US

616 Signins

5655 Page Views

• Message 7 of 30

2020-05-01, 4:27 AM

If Best Buy is the one who gave you that Sprint SIM card (and because the Update Profile/PRL option isn't there under Settings / System / Advanced / System Update), I highly suspect they gave you the wrong SIM. However, the SIM itself does not have the part number on it (it's only on the card that comes with the SIM), so I don't know how you could verify what SIM card you have in there without getting another one that's definitely the right part number. I don't even think Sprint can tell you if it's the right part number even if you give them the ICCID number (which is on the SIM or you could get it from the SIM Status menu. 

Speaking of, what does it say under Settings / About Phone / SIM Status?

Mine says the following:

Network: Sprint

Phone Number on SIM: <my number>

Mobile Network State: Connected         (It will say "Disconnected" if you're currently connected to Wifi)

Service State: In Service

Signal strength: -100 dBm 40 asu          (Yours will likely be at least slightly different)

Mobile Voice Network Type: LTE          (I believe this is because I have VoLTE selected)

Mobile Data Network Type: LTE

Roaming: Not Roaming

ICCID: <my SIM's ICCID number>

IMS Registration State: Registered

I think the key information is your Mobile Network State as well as your IMS Registration State. If your Mobile Data Network Type doesn't say LTE then you may be able to change that in the following menu.

Also under Settings / Network & Internet / Mobile Network / Preferred Network Type

I have LTE (recommended) selected.

I wouldn't recommend using the default setting of Global while trying to get your phone registered properly on Sprint since CDMA is not a "global" band.   

Also under Settings / Network & Internet / Mobile Network / Preferred Network Type / Advanced / Access Point Names

I have the following available:

- Sprint

- Sprint

sprint

- cinet

cinet.spcs

- internet

x.ispsn

- ota

otasn

- pam

pamsn

The radial next to internet x.ispsn is selected (which I believe was done automatically -- I didn't do it myself). 

The Sprint techs at the store as well as in the online chat used that dialer code (or had me do it) as well as one other one. That one you mentioned didn't work at all (it was supposed to reset the radios and reboot the phone but the phone never rebooted), but the other one (sorry, I didn't write it down) did cause the phone to reboot, but it apparently didn't do anything else or at least didn't resolve the problem.  

Did Sprint have you reset your network settings? It might be worth a try. You would do this under Settings/ System / Advanced / Reset Options / Reset Wi-Fi, Mobile & Bluetooth

If you can't get this resolved, I would get a different SIM (and make sure it's the correct one). Even if it the correct part number, it could be just be defective. FYI, I've never paid for a Sprint SIM when getting it from Sprint (either online or in a store). So if they want to charge you for another SIM, I would question it.  

Options

8 Posts

04-26-2020

US

8 Signins

90 Page Views

• Message 8 of 30

2020-05-06, 15:24 PM

Thanks for your info.

what's ASM?

I got the replacement phone and switch to tello now. But I still have the issue to get the LTE data.  I did have 3G but no LTE data.

I did profile and PRL update. I also update the APN as Tello suggested. No success.

Options

8 Posts

04-26-2020

US

8 Signins

90 Page Views

• Message 9 of 30

2020-05-06, 15:28 PM
Thank you so much for your kind helps! The sim card is the correct one. The reason I did not get any steps moving forward is because the software loaded to the phone by Best buy was wrong. Motorola told me to do factory reset.
Options

8 Posts

04-26-2020

US

8 Signins

90 Page Views

• Message 10 of 30

2020-05-06, 19:38 PM
Could you please let me know what's ASM values you are using for the Tello. Thank you.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete