Options

19 Posts

05-13-2020

US

8 Signins

95 Page Views

• Views: 95
  • Message 11 of 22

Re:how do I transfer files, especially video, to an external usb-c thumb drive?

2020-05-18, 19:32 PM

also, it is formatted Fat32 if that is important.  I can try reformatting also....

Options

10632 Posts

03-05-2018

US

1117 Signins

151039 Page Views

• Views: 151039
  • Message 12 of 22

2020-05-19, 14:56 PM

Hi PatrickRio,

Thanks for sharing. I appreciate your initiative to format the thumb drive. Along with that, can you please try formatting the drive from your phone (Settings > Storage)? Backup all important files first so you won't lose them. 

Let me know how it goes and we'll further check this.Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support 

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

19 Posts

05-13-2020

US

8 Signins

95 Page Views

• Message 13 of 22

2020-05-20, 4:03 AM

I can now transfer files to the thumb drive, but it is really slow for transferring video. I have about 30 minutes of video saved and it has been moving the files for over an hour and is only 25% done. This does not seem like it is working correctly. Projected completion time is 4 hours and 30 minutes. 9 times the length of the recorded video.

Options

19 Posts

05-13-2020

US

8 Signins

95 Page Views

• Message 14 of 22

2020-05-20, 10:30 AM

The transfer process ran the battery down to shut off from 80% in about 2 hours. I think something isn't happening correctly when moving files this way. has anyone tested one of those dongles that adds usb ports while still allowing charging?

Options

19 Posts

05-13-2020

US

8 Signins

95 Page Views

• Message 15 of 22

2020-05-20, 10:35 AM

Confirmation of the process I used..... I formatted the drive with the phone and I used the file manager app linked in post #2 of this chain.... here is the link for reference:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cxinventor.file.explorer&hl=en_GB

I recorded video with the regular mode, not action cam. I recorded in maximum resolution/4K max quality.

Options

19 Posts

05-13-2020

US

8 Signins

95 Page Views

• Message 16 of 22

2020-05-20, 12:59 PM

OK, I figured out why I had so much space used up by video.  The "twist phone to open camera" function means my fiance can use the phone for filming whenever she wants without me unlocking it.. she left it running a bunch and filmed at maximum resolution... 

I thought i was only moving MY videos of 30 min but the 71GB includes a whole bunch of other recordings too. So the speed issue is not as bad as I thought. HOWEVER it still takes a long time to move files to this USB. Even though a lot of these files are error films, I am keeping them in the test so I can test a full 71GB.

I can foresee situations where I film video a bunch on my phone (maybe up to 100gb???) without transferring it off. I am going to need to find a way to get those files off my phone and onto my video editing computer in a reasonable time and may need to offload to a USB stick for temporary storage to free up space on the phone also. I may need a way to transfer to  at least faster than the battery dies.

I am doing another test of the thumb drive transfer.  I started with the battery at 100% and am transferring 71GB from internal to the thumb drive. it says it is transferring at 3.3MB/s and estimated time to completion is 5hours 45 min.  lets see how it does. This thumb drive is supposed to be able to be written to at 90MB/sec over usb-c so there must be some other bottleneck here.

Options

2759 Posts

02-11-2016

US

2997 Signins

56711 Page Views

• Views: 56711
  • Message 17 of 22

2020-05-20, 14:38 PM

@ PatrickRio wrote:

OK, I figured out why I had so much space used up by video.  The "twist phone to open camera" function means my fiance can use the phone for filming whenever she wants without me unlocking it.. she left it running a bunch and filmed at maximum resolution... 

I thought i was only moving MY videos of 30 min but the 71GB includes a whole bunch of other recordings too. So the speed issue is not as bad as I thought. HOWEVER it still takes a long time to move files to this USB. Even though a lot of these files are error films, I am keeping them in the test so I can test a full 71GB.

I can foresee situations where I film video a bunch on my phone (maybe up to 100gb???) without transferring it off. I am going to need to find a way to get those files off my phone and onto my video editing computer in a reasonable time and may need to offload to a USB stick for temporary storage to free up space on the phone also. I may need a way to transfer to  at least faster than the battery dies.

I am doing another test of the thumb drive transfer.  I started with the battery at 100% and am transferring 71GB from internal to the thumb drive. it says it is transferring at 3.3MB/s and estimated time to completion is 5hours 45 min.  lets see how it does. This thumb drive is supposed to be able to be written to at 90MB/sec over usb-c so there must be some other bottleneck here.

I'm glad you were able to get the file transfer part to work now. As for the speeds. There might be a couple things throwing a wrench into the gears here. One is the thumb drive has a spec of 150MB/s but that's on USB 3.1 connections. The moto g stylus is using a USB-C 2.0 which is much slower than USB 3.0 or 3.1. The specs on the Sandisk website do not list what speeds the drive supports on 2.0 connections. We will still get confirmation on the max speeds on our device. In the meantime, If you're goal is to transfer to your desktop, I would just use the supplied USB-C cable to connect directly to the desktop/PC while transferring. That way you're still getting a charge over the USB connection.

-Tom

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

19 Posts

05-13-2020

US

8 Signins

95 Page Views

• Message 18 of 22

2020-05-20, 16:16 PM

oh..... yeah usb 2.0 speeds are going to be too slow for transferring bulk video files on a regular basis.  I think the max speed for 2.0 is 60MB/s and I think that is a burst speed.  I think that 20MB/s might be a realistic max which is still going to be pretty slow, especially if you start using the SD card slot for more space.  And since I am only getting 3.5MB/s, The phone hardware may be limiting the speed even more than that...

So I think that other data options besides the USB port need to be explored.  

1. Wifi transfer via local LAN.  What is the maximum throughput for large file transfers that the phone is capable of transmitting via wifi?

2. Transfer to internal MicroSD card and then use that to transfer to computer.... Biggest issue here is that you will probably eventually break the tray or screw up the contacts inside the phone if you pull this tray in and out too much......  What is the maximum speed of sustained transfer the phone can do to a MicroSD card?

Options

19 Posts

05-13-2020

US

8 Signins

95 Page Views

• Message 19 of 22

2020-05-20, 17:28 PM

Total time to transfer 71GB was 5 hours 55 min. Battery went from 100% to 28% in that time. Interesting thing is that the battery showed above 90% until more than half the task was completed and then the battery started dropping faster.

Options

2759 Posts

02-11-2016

US

2997 Signins

56711 Page Views

• Views: 56711
  • Message 20 of 22

2020-05-21, 14:06 PM

@ PatrickRio wrote:

Total time to transfer 71GB was 5 hours 55 min. Battery went from 100% to 28% in that time. Interesting thing is that the battery showed above 90% until more than half the task was completed and then the battery started dropping faster.

While I haven't received word yet on max transfer speeds supported by the phone, but I think you're correct on the boost speeds. As for the battery that is very interesting. I will pass that feedback along as well to have them monitor the battery when they test the same type of scenario.

-Tom

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete