Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G Phonesmoto g100
All Forum Topics
Options

6 Posts

10-01-2021

United States of America

8 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35
  • Message 1 of 11

Carrier Compatibility

2021-10-01, 18:15 PM

I'm comparing the carrier compatibility of the G100 and the Stylus 5G on the carrier comparison page using Straight talk GSM as my provider. Above the Stylus the info says "Compatible & supports 5G sub6 NSA, VoLTE, WiFi Calling, Video Calling". Above the G100 the info says "Compatible & supports 4G, VoLTE". Why such a major difference in capability and and actually apparently much less capability in the higher priced and higher spec'd hand set? Will there be future updates that increase the capability of the G100? Or is it being limited by hardware?

Options

1079 Posts

02-18-2019

United States of America

129 Signins

10827 Page Views

• Views: 10827
  • Message 2 of 11

Re:Carrier Compatibility

2021-10-02, 14:05 PM

@ sparky2869 wrote:

I'm comparing the carrier compatibility of the G100 and the Stylus 5G on the carrier comparison page using Straight talk GSM as my provider. Above the Stylus the info says "Compatible & supports 5G sub6 NSA, VoLTE, WiFi Calling, Video Calling". Above the G100 the info says "Compatible & supports 4G, VoLTE". Why such a major difference in capability and and actually apparently much less capability in the higher priced and higher spec'd hand set? Will there be future updates that increase the capability of the G100? Or is it being limited by hardware?

Hi  @ sparky2869 ,

We always value customers who give us their feedback. I will forward this to my team and we will look into your question on Monday. I will get back to you as soon as possible. We don't monitor the community as closely on the weekend so there might be delays in getting back to you. Thank you.

Regards,
Mary
Motorola Support

Did someone help you today? Press the Thumbs up icon on the bottom right thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

6 Posts

10-01-2021

United States of America

8 Signins

35 Page Views

• Message 3 of 11

2021-10-02, 15:17 PM

Thanks. I will appreciate any clarity you can provide.

Options

6 Posts

10-01-2021

United States of America

8 Signins

35 Page Views

• Message 4 of 11

2021-10-08, 11:03 AM

Good morning,

Just wondering if you have any further details on my question.

Options

2293 Posts

11-24-2020

India

230 Signins

24205 Page Views

• Views: 24205
  • Message 5 of 11

2021-10-11, 7:11 AM

Hi sparky2869

We are sorry for the delay. Let me ask around for more information on this. Once I learn more about this I will get back to you. 

Thanks

Sunitha 

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up icon on the bottom right to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

6 Posts

10-01-2021

United States of America

8 Signins

35 Page Views

• Message 6 of 11

2021-10-13, 22:22 PM

Good afternoon,

Still waiting to see if there is an answer to my question?

Options

2293 Posts

11-24-2020

India

230 Signins

24205 Page Views

• Views: 24205
  • Message 7 of 11

2021-10-14, 15:30 PM

@ sparky2869 wrote:

Hi, 

Thank you for your patience. I have checked and I would like to inform you that it is carrier-dependent. Even if the device supports the feature and if the carrier/network provider does not support it then the particular feature (Wi-Fi calling or 5G network )will not work. I would suggest you contact the Network provider to confirm this.  We hope it is clear. However, I will take your concern as feedback and pass it along. But, can't promise anything. 

Thanks

Sunitha

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up icon on the bottom right to thank them with a Kudo!

Options

6 Posts

10-01-2021

United States of America

8 Signins

35 Page Views

• Message 8 of 11

2021-10-14, 18:16 PM

Actually, this is not carrier dependent. The carrier is the same in both instances. The difference is the actual product being used with the carrier. For clarification, I'm attaching a screen shot of your comparison page. So, the question remains - is this a hardware defined compatibility/capability issue? Or is this software/firmware related? If it is a software/firmware issue; will there be an update that provides greater compatibility in the future?

If the folks you are communicating with can not answer this question; is there someone else I should contact. I know you said contact the carrier - trust me when I say that is useless. I contacted them about the e-mail they are sending me telling me that my current phone is out of date and I need to replace it. I asked them when I need to have the replacement done by and I was told the phone should have stopped working last February! When I asked what an updated timeline might be I was told - any day now!

So that you can understand my situation further; thanks to the above noted interaction with my carrier (Straight Talk), I have done a good bit of shopping around for devices. I have concentrated on Moto devices because I have a Moto X4 that I like very much. It was purchased about three years ago and will actually be passed along to someone that is currently carrying a six plus year old Samsung J7. This means that I don't update my devices frequently and I want something that is going to be good quality and will have the technical ability to still be running and useful three to six years from now. In order to narrow my search further I need to get answers to my questions. If I need to contact Tech support or something like that in some other manner; then please direct me. If there is no one that can provide answers to my inquiries; then I will start looking at other manufacturers for a new device.

Options

7000 Posts

02-11-2016

United States of America

3430 Signins

86966 Page Views

• Views: 86966
  • Message 9 of 11

2021-10-18, 18:33 PM

@ sparky2869 wrote:

Actually, this is not carrier dependent. The carrier is the same in both instances. The difference is the actual product being used with the carrier. For clarification, I'm attaching a screen shot of your comparison page. So, the question remains - is this a hardware defined compatibility/capability issue? Or is this software/firmware related? If it is a software/firmware issue; will there be an update that provides greater compatibility in the future?

If the folks you are communicating with can not answer this question; is there someone else I should contact. I know you said contact the carrier - trust me when I say that is useless. I contacted them about the e-mail they are sending me telling me that my current phone is out of date and I need to replace it. I asked them when I need to have the replacement done by and I was told the phone should have stopped working last February! When I asked what an updated timeline might be I was told - any day now!

So that you can understand my situation further; thanks to the above noted interaction with my carrier (Straight Talk), I have done a good bit of shopping around for devices. I have concentrated on Moto devices because I have a Moto X4 that I like very much. It was purchased about three years ago and will actually be passed along to someone that is currently carrying a six plus year old Samsung J7. This means that I don't update my devices frequently and I want something that is going to be good quality and will have the technical ability to still be running and useful three to six years from now. In order to narrow my search further I need to get answers to my questions. If I need to contact Tech support or something like that in some other manner; then please direct me. If there is no one that can provide answers to my inquiries; then I will start looking at other manufacturers for a new device.

Hello, Here is the situation when it comes to carrier compatibility in the US. Other, then the physical hardware differences, all carriers require certification. If the phone does not support the bands required or the carrier has not certified the device for say (5G), then the phone will not be listed as supported. It's possible the Moto G100 might get support in the future, but I can't guarantee it. If 5G is important for you (and you want to stay with straight talk), then I'd recommend looking at a different model.  I hope that makes sense.

Let us know.

Thanks,

Tom

Options

6 Posts

10-01-2021

United States of America

8 Signins

35 Page Views

• Message 10 of 11

2021-10-18, 20:38 PM

In other words - ya'll can build whatever spec set you want into a handset and make it compatible with the latest greatest whatever there is out there; but if some bozo at StraightTalk doesn't throw Holy water on it and give it their own special blessing it may or may not work..... just wonderbar. These are the same people that, as I noted above, told me that my phone should have stopped working eight months ago. They also say they will have a list of supported phones on their web site - I guess that will be some day in the future (about the time my phone quits working) as there isn't one now.

Maybe you can answer this question - since Straight Talk is a sub carrier to ATT, Verizon, and I think T-Mobile; should I rely strictly on what Straight Talk has to say? Or would it be safe to rely on a list of what ATT says will continue to work since I'm using the ATT network under Straight Talk?

This is the link to the list that I have discovered from a thread somewhere else in this community... https://www.att.com/idpassets/images/support/wireless/Devices-Working-on-ATT-Network.pdf

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms