Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G Phonesmoto g100
All Forum Topics
Options

13 Posts

04-25-2021

Belgium

11 Signins

120 Page Views

• Views: 120
  • Message 1 of 11

Google Assist physical button

2021-05-03, 21:00 PM

Hello Lenovo/Moto support team,

So I'm still looking at new phones and the G100 is still in the running, but with all the information i have it's currently a neck-and-neck race between Moto G100 and a Pixel 5.

It's going to be a matter of details as I have accepted that the perfect phone doesn't exist.

One of the bonuses of the G100 is the extra button on the left, a dedicated "Google Assist button".

However, I don't use Google Assist at all and would even turn off the system app for this, but I would love to be able to map this extra button to any other installed application (or other functionalities like for example expand/contract notifications).

My question now is: what are the possibilities for the physical Google Assist button? (Please don't tell me it's for Google Assist ONLY and nothing else, please.)

Thank you in advance for the info!

Options

5190 Posts

02-11-2016

United States of America

3301 Signins

75931 Page Views

• Views: 75931
  • Message 2 of 11

Re:Google Assist physical button

2021-05-03, 21:30 PM

@ Vincentrifuge wrote:

Hello Lenovo/Moto support team,

So I' still looking at new phones and the G100 is still in the running, but with all the information i have it' currently a neck-and-neck race between Moto G100 and a Pixel 5.

It' going to be a matter of details as I have accepted that the perfect phone doesn' exist.

One of the bonuses of the G100 is the extra button on the left, a dedicated "Google Assist button".

However, I don' use Google Assist at all and would even turn off the system app for this, but I would love to be able to map this extra button to any other installed application (or other functionalities like for example expand/contract notifications).

My question now is: what are the possibilities for the physical Google Assist button? (Please don' tell me it' for Google Assist ONLY and nothing else, please.)

Thank you in advance for the info!

Hello and thanks for posting your question. You actually answered your own question, but don't want me to say it. Yeah, the assist button cannot be remapped with stock system/OS software. Sorry, I know it wasn't the answer you wanted, but I figure it's better to ensure you have accurate information. Let me know if you have any other questions. 

-Tom

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up icon on the bottom right to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

13 Posts

04-25-2021

Belgium

11 Signins

120 Page Views

• Message 3 of 11

2021-05-03, 21:51 PM

Tom please tell me there are plans to change this in a software update, please.

I really don't understand why this isn't a standard feature anyway?

Motorola has these fun little extra's on top of a near stock android experience, this could be a very very neat, super handy and customisable addition for this phone!

Image having a dedicated physical button to do whatever you want it to do, the possibilities are endless :)

Options

13 Posts

04-25-2021

Belgium

11 Signins

120 Page Views

• Message 4 of 11

2021-05-03, 21:58 PM

You know what I'm actually looking for?

I want to be convinced why I should buy this phone.

I've been waiting for months now and at this point I'm not convinced and wouldn't feel 100% comfortable buying it, because of the flaws. (Missing IP68 rating, slow charging and no OLED being some of the biggest ones)

Even though the perfect phone doesn't exist, I accept that, but I want this phone to convince me and make me feel comfortable spending my money on it, without regret.

I want the pro's to weigh up against the flaws I see.

And I've been a real Moto fan, so this hurts, man.

I WANT to be convinced.

Options

5190 Posts

02-11-2016

United States of America

3301 Signins

75931 Page Views

• Message 5 of 11

2021-05-04, 21:14 PM

@ Vincentrifuge wrote:

You know what I' actually looking for?

I want to be convinced why I should buy this phone.

I' been waiting for months now and at this point I' not convinced and wouldn' feel 100% comfortable buying it, because of the flaws. (Missing IP68 rating, slow charging and no OLED being some of the biggest ones)

Even though the perfect phone doesn' exist, I accept that, but I want this phone to convince me and make me feel comfortable spending my money on it, without regret.

I want the pro' to weigh up against the flaws I see.

And I' been a real Moto fan, so this hurts, man.

I WANT to be convinced.

I completely understand your disappointment with the physical button. There are no plans to make it customizable. As for the other specs. 

• IP68
    • You're correct it doesn't have this, however, it does have a water-repellent design that creates a barrier to help protect against moderate exposure to water, such as accidental spills, splashes, or light rain.
  • Slow Charging
    • I'm unsure where you got this information from. From what I can see the phone comes with a TurboPower ™ 20 charger and will turbocharge the battery.
  • No OLED
    • Again you're correct, but the LCD screen looks great with HDR10 and DCI-P3 color space which means a wider range of colors compared to sRGB. Something like 25% more all while running smoothly with a 90Hz refresh rate.

One feature that I personally find really cool is the Audio Zoom function which I've not seen on many other phones. Audio Zoom uses advanced microphones to capture the sound of your subject while filtering ambient noise and voices. 

Let me know if you have any other concerns. I'll do my best to help.

-Tom

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up icon on the bottom right to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

13 Posts

04-25-2021

Belgium

11 Signins

120 Page Views

• Message 6 of 11

2021-05-05, 17:49 PM

Hello Tom,

I'm not sure whether you read my private message to you or not, but after I saw that Motorola offers a free Ready For dock for a limited time in Belgium, I have dicided to buy the G100 after all, regardless of its imperfections.

To answer your message:

- IP68 is important to me as I've seen reviews of other phones where humidity finds its way into the phone and corrodes the inside over time. So with this new phone I'll have, I will be worried to take it to the bathroom for example.

IP68 gives me peace of mind and I hope to see it return to Motorola one day.

- The screen will be nice, however I would like a fingerprint scanner in the screen (or back of the device, NOT on the power button) but I guess i'll just turn off fingerprint functions.

I like to use my power button as a fast screen on/off switch to see notifications or the time.

- I've seen every G100 review complain about slow charge speeds with this device, taking almost 2 hours for a full charge...

Anyways, I pre-ordered my G100 today, so I might give more feedback soon :)

If you won't mind, please contact me in private because i have a concern regarding the limited time promotion:

The official Motorola website is offering the free dock for anyone who buys it before may 16, but the official release here is may 17.

So i might not be able to submit my MAC address before the limited time offer is over...

I do have proof of my purchase though, I already paid most of the price in the shop and have a receipt.

I might get the phone in time and there won't be an issue, but now I don't have peace of mind because it's all unsure, the shop couldn't tell me an estimated arrival date...

Can you help me so I will get one for sure please?

Thank you again in advance!

Options

5190 Posts

02-11-2016

United States of America

3301 Signins

75931 Page Views

• Message 7 of 11

2021-05-05, 21:58 PM

@ Vincentrifuge wrote:

Hello Tom,

I' not sure whether you read my private message to you or not, but after I saw that Motorola offers a free Ready For dock for a limited time in Belgium, I have dicided to buy the G100 after all, regardless of its imperfections.

To answer your message:

- IP68 is important to me as I' seen reviews of other phones where humidity finds its way into the phone and corrodes the inside over time. So with this new phone I' have, I will be worried to take it to the bathroom for example.

IP68 gives me peace of mind and I hope to see it return to Motorola one day.

- The screen will be nice, however I would like a fingerprint scanner in the screen (or back of the device, NOT on the power button) but I guess i' just turn off fingerprint functions.

I like to use my power button as a fast screen on/off switch to see notifications or the time.

- I' seen every G100 review complain about slow charge speeds with this device, taking almost 2 hours for a full charge...

Anyways, I pre-ordered my G100 today, so I might give more feedback soon :)

If you won' mind, please contact me in private because i have a concern regarding the limited time promotion:

The official Motorola website is offering the free dock for anyone who buys it before may 16, but the official release here is may 17.

So i might not be able to submit my MAC address before the limited time offer is over...

I do have proof of my purchase though, I already paid most of the price in the shop and have a receipt.

I might get the phone in time and there won' be an issue, but now I don' have peace of mind because it' all unsure, the shop couldn' tell me an estimated arrival date...

Can you help me so I will get one for sure please?

Thank you again in advance!

I understand your IP68 concerns. I personally haven't had any issues with humidity on any of my phones, but I get your concern.

The fingerprint scanner on the side does take a bit to get used to but remember you don't have to power your phone on to get your notifications. Using Moto Display/Peek Display just move the phone and you'll see your time/notifications. 

Can you point me to some of the reviews about slow charging? I personally don't recall having any issues with charging mine. In fact, I'll drain the battery and give it a charge to see if I experience an unexpected long charge time.

I did see your PM after I replied here first. That being said. I'm glad to see you ordered it. I'll PM you

-Tom

Options

13 Posts

04-25-2021

Belgium

11 Signins

120 Page Views

• Message 8 of 11

2021-05-05, 22:29 PM

https://m.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_g100-review-2247p3.php

Quote:"A full charge from flat with the included adapter took a little under 2 hours, while a 30-minute session will get you from 0 to 37%."

However this is just one example, I've read and have seen every (video) review i could find and multiple sources have stated this 20W charger charging the phone slowly.

Maybe it's because the battery is so big it takes longer to charge? I have to test it for myself later.

The fingerprint scanner, well my favorite spot ever has always been the back of the device (like my old Nexus 5x) your finger basically automatically rests on this spot, it's very ideal.

But it's all allright, I'm looking forward to test out my new G100 soon! I hope it won't dissappoint :)

Thanks again Tom!

Options

5190 Posts

02-11-2016

United States of America

3301 Signins

75931 Page Views

• Message 9 of 11

2021-05-06, 18:34 PM

@ Vincentrifuge wrote:

https://m.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_g100-review-2247p3.php

Quote:"A full charge from flat with the included adapter took a little under 2 hours, while a 30-minute session will get you from 0 to 37%."

However this is just one example, I' read and have seen every (video) review i could find and multiple sources have stated this 20W charger charging the phone slowly.

Maybe it' because the battery is so big it takes longer to charge? I have to test it for myself later.

The fingerprint scanner, well my favorite spot ever has always been the back of the device (like my old Nexus 5x) your finger basically automatically rests on this spot, it' very ideal.

But it' all allright, I' looking forward to test out my new G100 soon! I hope it won' dissappoint :)

Thanks again Tom!

So I did some testing yesterday evening. I drained the battery down to about 60% which took me a while. I then put it on the charger. Keep in mind, I don't have a 20W charger. In my collection of chargers, I went with the closest one which happened to be an 18W charger. The max charging rate I saw was approximately 3100 mA. See below. With that charger, I got to about 90% in 30 mins, so equivalent to 10% every 10 mins. Assuming we maintain that rate across the entire charging cycle it would take 1hr40m to charge from 0 - 100%.

For a 5000mAh battery charging at approximately 3100 mA, taking into account 20% efficiency loss (standard accepted value), it would charge fully in 1.9 hours. Even if we were to somehow get 100% efficiency, which I don't think is possible, a 5000mAh battery would take approximately 1.6hours to fully charge. That being said we need to take into account variations such as slower charging speeds due to heat, apps running in the background, signal strength, etc. So even in my test, variations will play a role in the charging speeds/time. 

I hope that helps. Let me know,

Tom

Options

13 Posts

04-25-2021

Belgium

11 Signins

120 Page Views

• Message 10 of 11

2021-05-09, 1:04 AM

Well so I bought a G100 and I thought I'd just use an app to remap the Assist button... Sadly it's impossible, the button doesn't get recognised by any button changing app. 

Could you please pass this feeback? I think I'm not the only one who even turns off the Google Assist app, so now I have a useless button which could be used for something else like opening an app of your choice or an action... 

Thanks!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms