Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G Phonesmoto g100
All Forum Topics
Options

13 Posts

04-25-2021

Belgium

11 Signins

120 Page Views

• Views: 120
  • Message 1 of 6

Keep Wifi on during sleep option!

2021-05-08, 23:18 PM

Hello,

I just got my new G100 and I've been migrating from a Moto X4 running Android 8.

I was downloading over a 100 apps on the G100, figuring it would take some time, so i left it to do its thing. 

An hour later, barely any apps were updated. Another our later, again just a handful. I kept checking back, every time I checked a handfull got installed, but when i checked it went fast.

So it wasn't adding up, the speed of installing apps which I saw with my own eyes was WAY faster than what the phone did while I left it alone.

I figured it was faster when the screen was on, so I put the screen timeout timer on maximum, which is 30 minutes for this phone.

I don't know why the timeout timer doesn't have an "unlimited" option anymore though, because that's what I always choose personally...

Anyways, while leaving it with a longer screen timeout timer, indeed more apps got installed this time.

Then I remembered my grandfather, who I adviced to buy a Motorola Moto G 5G Plus: he told me that he missed some WhatsApp calls, only getting the notification after he missed the call checking his phone for something else.

I figured it might be the option "Keep WiFi on during sleep", which we used to have on Android, but apparently we don't anymore... I googled for this but apparently it's a thing with later Android versions where it's not accessible as a standard anymore. It's up to the software developers to make a custom setting for this so users can toggle it again as they please.

So please Motorola, for the sake of not missing calls/messages, not having to force our screen to stay on, please bring back the option to keep WiFi on during sleep! This is a very very VERY stupid decision of Google to remove this option from the newest Android builds. It's not even under developer options! Motorola be our savior and please fix what Google screwed up for many of us!

Or in case this isn't the issue and I'm totally missing the point, please let me know how to solve this issue or tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Options

13965 Posts

03-05-2018

United States of America

1298 Signins

176265 Page Views

• Views: 176265
  • Message 2 of 6

Re:Keep Wifi on during sleep option!

2021-05-09, 16:54 PM

Hi Vincentrifuge

I will be happy to assist you with this. Google has removed the option Keep WiFi on during sleep on Android Oreo 8.1. But you shouldn't miss calls from those apps when the screen is off and you're connected to WiFi. Your phone won't disconnect automatically from your WiFi. But as for the downloading apps, based on what I've read online, it looks like it's normal when the screen is off the download rate is a bit slower. Not sure if it's related to Battery saver, if it's turned on, try turning it off. See if there's improvement. Thank you.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Click the thumbs up button to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

13 Posts

04-25-2021

Belgium

11 Signins

120 Page Views

• Message 3 of 6

2021-05-09, 17:15 PM

Hi Rich, thank you for the suggestion, but I've already made sure that the battery saver was turned off. Also, the phone was charging while I was doing this. I also did my fair share of research online, and have found that this setting is still managable through ADB... Meaning Motorola/Lenovo could make this option available again as in previous Android versions. The code exists, we just can't access it as a regular end-user. Maybe this could be some feedback for the Motorola software developers? Thanks!

Options

5591 Posts

02-11-2016

United States of America

3325 Signins

78336 Page Views

• Views: 78336
  • Message 4 of 6

2021-05-10, 17:55 PM

@ Vincentrifuge wrote:

Hi Rich, thank you for the suggestion, but I' already made sure that the battery saver was turned off. Also, the phone was charging while I was doing this. I also did my fair share of research online, and have found that this setting is still managable through ADB... Meaning Motorola/Lenovo could make this option available again as in previous Android versions. The code exists, we just can' access it as a regular end-user. Maybe this could be some feedback for the Motorola software developers? Thanks!

Hi Vincent,

You're correct the code is definitely still buried into the OS, but the customer-facing UI was removed by Google a while ago. That being said, if I'm not mistaken, the default system setting is to always stay awake/keep WiFi awake. If you could update your forum profile with the IMEI or SN from your device and let me know if I can take a look from my end.

Thanks,

Tom

Need help updating your profile? See here. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up icon on the bottom right to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

13 Posts

04-25-2021

Belgium

11 Signins

120 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2021-05-10, 20:57 PM

Thanks Tom,

If the default option is to already keep on Wifi during sleep/screen off, then i have no idea what was causing the apps to stop downloading (or at least download REALLY slowly).

Does the phone just slow down in general when the screen is off? Are you able to provide any info or troubleshooting with just the IMEI or S/N of the device?

Anyways, if the default setting is to keep on wifi, I'll be good and I will just keep an eye on the phone's behavior in the future. In the end my grandfather could've just missed the call by himself or his phone might have been on silent mode, who knows. I'm very sure of the slow downloads, but I'll never be downloading over a 100 apps at once anymore so i don't really care anymore if I don't notice any issues in the future.

Options

5591 Posts

02-11-2016

United States of America

3325 Signins

78336 Page Views

• Views: 78336
  • Message 6 of 6

2021-05-10, 22:15 PM

@ Vincentrifuge wrote:

Thanks Tom,

If the default option is to already keep on Wifi during sleep/screen off, then i have no idea what was causing the apps to stop downloading (or at least download REALLY slowly).

Does the phone just slow down in general when the screen is off? Are you able to provide any info or troubleshooting with just the IMEI or S/N of the device?

Anyways, if the default setting is to keep on wifi, I' be good and I will just keep an eye on the phone' behavior in the future. In the end my grandfather could' just missed the call by himself or his phone might have been on silent mode, who knows. I' very sure of the slow downloads, but I' never be downloading over a 100 apps at once anymore so i don' really care anymore if I don' notice any issues in the future.

The default should be wifi_sleep_policy=2 which means Keep WiFi on during sleep: Always. I also checked mine and it's set to 2 as well. I'm unsure why the downloads would have slowed down. Please keep an eye on it and let me know if you run into any issues.

Thanks,

Tom

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up icon on the bottom right to thank them with a Kudo!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms