Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G Phonesmoto g40 fusion
All Forum Topics
Options

Hi-Res Audio not working

2021-06-01, 22:27 PM

Hi,

It seems like there is a bug in the factory ROM (Android 11 OS) shipped with moto g40 due to which I'm unable to choose any Bluetooth codec other than "Use system selection (default)" in the developer settings. Also, many apps are no longer able to detect Hi-Res audio DAC for the wired input as well!

Thanks,

Options

3970 Posts

03-04-2016

India

1258 Signins

62125 Page Views

• Views: 62125
  • Message 2 of 30

Re:Hi-Res Audio not working

2021-06-02, 14:17 PM

@ JJ_Singh wrote:

Hi,

It seems like there is a bug in the factory ROM (Android 11 OS) shipped with moto g40 due to which I' unable to choose any Bluetooth codec other than "Use system selection (default)" in the developer settings. Also, many apps are no longer able to detect Hi-Res audio DAC for the wired input as well!

Thanks,

Hi, 

Thank you for reaching out and sorry to know about this. Can you please let us know the make and model of your Bluetooth and Wired headset? Also, let us know the list of apps no longer working correctly?

Regards

Sandip

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up icon on the bottom right to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

2021-06-02, 21:43 PM

Hi Sandeep,

Thanks for the reply, I'm using a wired headset at the moment and was going to buy the Bluetooth ones which support aptX, but it won't work with moto g40 as the ROM itself don't provide support for those codecs. Even for the wired headset non of the best music players are able to detect internal Hi-Res audio chip by Qualcomm®. This can't be fixed by changing some settings but will require a system update.

Truth to be told I really had high expectations for Motorola but I'm disappointed with them twice, earlier during moto g5 plus when Motorola used a 32 bit OS on the device instead of 64 bit(even the processor was 64 bit compatible), and now with G40 no Hi-Res audio support in the ROM. Why Motorola do this to us? Hardware not supporting the feature is one thing and not providing the support for a feature even though the hardware supports it is just stupid and makes no sense!! Even my 4-year-old Redmi Note 4 supports this feature!! I have a 250+ GB of lossless audio collection and my NEW phone not supporting this basic feature is so frustrating!

Below is text extracted from the spec PDF of Snapdragon 732G in the audio category:

• Low-power audio subsystem with AI
• Qualcomm Voice Assistant Accelerator for
advanced voice use cases
• Always-on echo cancellation and
noise suppression
Qualcomm Aqstic audio codec
(up to WCD9341) and speaker amplifier
(up to WSA8815)
Native DSD support, PCM up to
384 kHz/32-bit
• Supports two wake words simultaneously
• aptX Adaptive audio technology
• Qualcomm TrueWireless Stereo Plus technology

Thanks,

Options

2021-06-03, 15:07 PM

@Agent_Sandeep Can you please forward my concern to the developer team?

Thanks and Regards,

Jagjot

Options

3970 Posts

03-04-2016

India

1258 Signins

62125 Page Views

• Views: 62125
  • Message 5 of 30

2021-06-04, 6:14 AM

@ JJ_Singh wrote:

Hi Sandeep,

Thanks for the reply, I' using a wired headset at the moment and was going to buy the Bluetooth ones which support aptX, but it won' work with moto g40 as the ROM itself don' provide support for those codecs. Even for the wired headset non of the best music players are able to detect internal Hi-Res audio chip by Qualcomm®. This can' be fixed by changing some settings but will require a system update.

Truth to be told I really had high expectations for Motorola but I' disappointed with them twice, earlier during moto g5 plus when Motorola used a 32 bit OS on the device instead of 64 bit(even the processor was 64 bit compatible), and now with G40 no Hi-Res audio support in the ROM. Why Motorola do this to us? Hardware not supporting the feature is one thing and not providing the support for a feature even though the hardware supports it is just stupid and makes no sense!! Even my 4-year-old Redmi Note 4 supports this feature!! I have a 250+ GB of lossless audio collection and my NEW phone not supporting this basic feature is so frustrating!

Below is text extracted from the spec PDF of Snapdragon 732G in the audio category:

• Low-power audio subsystem with AI
• Qualcomm Voice Assistant Accelerator for
advanced voice use cases
• Always-on echo cancellation and
noise suppression
Qualcomm Aqstic audio codec
(up to WCD9341) and speaker amplifier
(up to WSA8815)
Native DSD support, PCM up to
384 kHz/32-bit
• Supports two wake words simultaneously
• aptX Adaptive audio technology
• Qualcomm TrueWireless Stereo Plus technology

Thanks,

Hi, 

We would still need your wired headset Make and model and a bug report in order for us to investigate further. The bug report will collect information about your current device state.

Below are the steps for getting a bug report:

1. Go to Settings -> About Phone -> Tap on Build number 7 times on the build number to go into the developer options mode]
2. After the above steps Developer options will be enabled.
3. Go to Settings ->Developer options -> Enable USB debugging > Toggle On
4. Enable Settings -> Developer options -> Enable Bug Report shortcut > Toggle On
5. Enable Settings -> Developer options -> Enable Enable Bluetooth HCI snoop log > Toggle On
6. Once the issue is reproduced, Go to Settings -> Developer options -> Click on take bug report or Press Power button and then choose Bug Report from the Power-down menu.
7. Wait for some time until the bug report is collected. It takes around 3 to 4 minutes to collect the Bug Report.
8. Then upload the BugReport to your personal Google Drive
9. Open the File Manager app on your phone and tap on Local on the top right. Browse to internal.
10. Upload the btsnoop_hci.log to your Google Drive as well
11. Share the link to the bug report and btsnoop_hci.log on the forums in a reply or via a private message.
12. Provide observations of what you saw happen right before the bug report was taken. Please indicate the time that you observed the behavior in local time.
13. One completed to Settings-> Developer options -> Enable Bluetooth HCI snoop log > Toggle Off

Regards

Sandip

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up icon on the bottom right to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

2021-06-04, 7:16 AM

Hi Sandeep,

Thanks for the reply, What I was trying to say is ROM itself doesn't provide support for internal HI-RES output by Qualcomm. I'm using the paid version Poweramp player from the Play Store which has great support for internal Hi-Res output. Before posting this issue here I had an email conversation with its developer and he is the one that told me ROM itself doesn't provide support same even though the hardware supports it, later I verified the same. Thankfully poweramp has a feature of "Audio Outputs Detection Log". I can post that log here as that would be more helpful. Also, it seems that many of the audio configs are saved as SM6150(Snapdragon 675) instead of SM7150(Snapdragon 732G). You can see the logs below of my old device (Redmi Note 7) and the new one (Moto G40) below:

Redmi Note 7 Log:

sdm660 is_snapdragon
reading=/vendor/etc/audio_output_policy.conf
has direct_pcm_24, sampling_rates=44100|48000|88200|96000|176400|192000|352800|384000
AUDIO_OUTPUT_FLAG_DIRECT direct_pcm_24
has direct_pcm_24 formats=AUDIO_FORMAT_PCM_24_BIT_PACKED|AUDIO_FORMAT_PCM_8_24_BIT|AUDIO_FORMAT_PCM_32_BIT
FLAG_VARIANT_DIRECT_HD via direct_pcm_24
forcing FLAG_DLFCN FLAG_NEEDS_DEEP_BUFFER FLAG_NEEDS_EXTRA_SLEEPS
MIUI=10
=> FLAG_VARIANT_DIRECT_HD_10_STREAM
USB can handle Hi-Res - sdk=29
OK flags=0xe74616600008000
FLAG_VARIANT_DIRECT_HD_10_STREAM
FLAG_SUPPORTS_PCM_8_24
FLAG_SUPPORTS_PCM_24
FLAG_SUPPORTS_PCM_32
FLAG_SUPPORTS_UNITY_GAIN_STREAM
FLAG_SUPPORTS_USB
FLAG_NEEDS_EXTRA_SLEEPS
FLAG_SUPPORTS_LDAC
FLAG_DLFCN
FLAG_NEEDS_DEEP_BUFFER
FLAG_ALLOW_DVC_EFFECT
FLAG_BT_DVC_EFFECT
PA_OUTPUT_CAP_NEEDS_VOL_UI
INTERNAL_OUTPUT_FLAG_SR_384K
INTERNAL_OUTPUT_FLAG_SR_352K
INTERNAL_OUTPUT_FLAG_SR_192K
INTERNAL_OUTPUT_FLAG_SR_176K
INTERNAL_OUTPUT_FLAG_SR_96K
INTERNAL_OUTPUT_FLAG_SR_88K
INTERNAL_OUTPUT_FLAG_SR_48K
INTERNAL_OUTPUT_FLAG_SR_44K

Moto G40 log:

12:43:04.334 build-905-arm64-play
Device: motorola motorola moto g(40) fusion hanoip_retail hanoip "qcom" hanoip RRI31.Q1-42-24-4 [arm64-v8a, armeabi-v7a, armeabi]

sm6150 is_snapdragon
FAILED to read=/vendor/etc/audio_output_policy.conf
FAILED to read=/vendor/etc/audio_io_policy.conf
FAILED to read=/system/etc/audio_policy.conf
FAILED to read=/vendor/etc/audio_policy.conf
USB can handle Hi-Res - sdk=30
FLAG_VARIANT_USB_ONLY
OK flags=0x404001400000000
FLAG_VARIANT_USB_ONLY
FLAG_SUPPORTS_USB
FLAG_SUPPORTS_FLT_DYN_RANGE
FLAG_SUPPORTS_LDAC
INTERNAL_OUTPUT_FLAG_SR_192K
INTERNAL_OUTPUT_FLAG_SR_176K
INTERNAL_OUTPUT_FLAG_SR_96K
INTERNAL_OUTPUT_FLAG_SR_88K

As you can see clearly non of the play store apps are able to detect Hi-Res internal output in Moto G40, also it seems like by mistake the audio chip config is set to sm6150  instead of SM7150 which is the chip device is using.

Thanks,

Options

35 Posts

05-20-2021

India

53 Signins

355 Page Views

• Views: 355
  • Message 7 of 30

2021-06-04, 17:56 PM

Stop the child play with the reply moto support team

This is the most basic feature

Moto's software developer team should acknowledge this issue and fix it ASAP

Options

180 Posts

02-19-2016

India

117 Signins

1354 Page Views

• Views: 1354
  • Message 8 of 30

2021-06-05, 3:23 AM

Your headphones should support the codecs first then it'll works,

Acc and Aptx works for me.

Wired dac used by moto is generic one so no 24bit 196kz output.

Qualcomm does support its , doesn't mean motorola bought that feature. 

Which is why Poweramp won't show that 24bit output.

Unknown person
Options

2021-06-05, 3:26 AM

It's integrated with the chipset itself. If you see below logs

SM6150 is_snapdragon
FAILED to read=/vendor/etc/audio_output_policy.conf
FAILED to read=/vendor/etc/audio_io_policy.conf
FAILED to read=/system/etc/audio_policy.conf
FAILED to read=/vendor/etc/audio_policy.conf

you can see clearly that the audio chip is being detected as SM6150(Snapdragon 675) but the device is using SM7150(Snapdragon 732G) even SM6150 has Native DSD support, PCM up to 384 kHz/32-bits.

Options

180 Posts

02-19-2016

India

117 Signins

1354 Page Views

• Views: 1354
  • Message 10 of 30

2021-06-05, 19:11 PM

It's Integrated only if OEM pays them for that add on.

Which is why Qualcomm puts * at the end.

Unknown person
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms