Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G Phonesmoto g50
All Forum Topics
Options

244 Posts

02-10-2017

Portugal

233 Signins

1217 Page Views

• Views: 1217
  • Message 71 of 351

Re:Google PLay Update system

2021-08-13, 8:18 AM

The new update is not available yet in my country. Mine is one RETEU

Options

26 Posts

08-04-2021

Finland

28 Signins

60 Page Views

• Views: 60
  • Message 72 of 351

2021-08-13, 9:11 AM

Hi!

My phone also has RETEU

Using this application and registering your phone with it

https://www.motorola.com/us/rescue-and-smart-assistant/p

Then the app will find the latest update on your phone pretty soon as it is released

The app can be used by flashing and rescue etc. on your phone

(read your phone's warranty before using the app)

Activation of Developer Options (and usb debugging) is done as in the g30 model

https://www.hardreset.info/devices/motorola/motorola-moto-g30/developer-options/

Flash makes all your data deleted so if you use Rescue then first back up your data

I was wondering if this problem in the Moto g50 phone is right at the hardware level because flash doesn't eliminate the problem?

But still, Tom certainly knows the matter better and if that is the case

Options

244 Posts

02-10-2017

Portugal

233 Signins

1217 Page Views

• Message 73 of 351

2021-08-13, 10:21 AM

Thank you Lavisr. Didn´t knew about this too. Yet i´ll wait for the update, if it doesn´t solve this , makes no sense to update just because of the secutiry patch. It will arrive eventually.Let´s wait for news. This has to be a single update to fix this, or as I suggested, send us to update it manually. Can´t be that hard

I download the software but it says i have the latest version. The problem with hard reset is missing all data from the apps.

Tom using this software is possible not to loose data from the apps?

Options

6997 Posts

02-11-2016

United States of America

3424 Signins

86906 Page Views

• Views: 86906
  • Message 74 of 351

2021-08-13, 15:46 PM

@ HenriqueM wrote:

Thank you Lavisr. Didn´t knew about this too. Yet i´ll wait for the update, if it doesn´t solve this , makes no sense to update just because of the secutiry patch. It will arrive eventually.Let´s wait for news. This has to be a single update to fix this, or as I suggested, send us to update it manually. Can´t be that hard

I download the software but it says i have the latest version. The problem with hard reset is missing all data from the apps.

Tom using this software is possible not to loose data from the apps?

Good question. The rescue option in the Rescue & Smart Assistant app does a full reload of the software which wipes the phone in the process. I think we can stop trying to factory reset phones. I'm seeing some more traction on my end, just no new information I can provide on the situation. Rest assured, I bring this up daily in our meetings.

Thanks and have a good weekend.

Tom

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up icon on the bottom right to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

65 Posts

08-14-2021

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

37 Signins

325 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 325
  • Message 75 of 351

2021-08-14, 10:15 AM

Hi Tom,

I am experiencing exactly the same issue with my G50. Hoping your efforts bear fruit soon!

I note that other brands (Sony in particular) have also had the exact same problem. Sony appear to have resolved the issue with a recent (June) Android security update, so there must be a common bug?

Thanks.

Steve.

Options

26 Posts

08-04-2021

Finland

28 Signins

60 Page Views

• Message 76 of 351

2021-08-14, 11:17 AM

Yes "StevesG50", that's true! Tom mentioned earlier his own Pixel phone which had this problem

Also, while it is difficult to ascertain how widespread the problem is, it is not unsafe to say that quite a bunch of affected devices are now vulnerable to various Exploits.

But it is also the case that not all phones of the same model from the same manufacturer (such as the Moto g50) all suffer from this same problem (presumably)

Therefore, I wonder if there are small differences in phone hardware (eg in the delivery of components, different manufacturers?)

I hope the problem could be fixed by software upgrade, that would be great!

Options

65 Posts

08-14-2021

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

37 Signins

325 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 325
  • Message 77 of 351

2021-08-14, 20:16 PM

Hi "Lasvir",

Given the issue has been replicated on several different phone brands and models, I think hardware differences can be ruled out. See the experiences of Sony Xperia 10iii owners in this thread:

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/10-series/google-play-system-update-stuck-on-1st-february-xperia-10-iii/td-p/3809509

Remarkable how similar the experiences to ours, is it not? Also, the attempts to resolve the issue.

I believe any link to the Thinkshield protection system can also be ruled out, given that Sony does not appear to utilise it, yet the same issue is being experienced.

I find the fact that the update installs, only to be rolled back to a previous version, quite telling. It suggests either:

1) The Play system update is corrupt (but Sony's software update cured the issue, which would seem to rule that out).

2) The Play system update is incompatible with the Motorola software updates issued (note Sony appear to have eradicated the issue with a software update).

3) The affected handsets were not originally meant for the market (region) they were sold in and hence the original software is not the version for that market, and the Play system update being offered is not the correct one for the installed software (which could explain why Tom is not having the same problem).

4) The Play system update has features that the Motorola software has not caught up with and hence it is rolled back to an earlier version that "works" with the Motorola software (though Tom's successful update would seem to rule this out - but see point 3). Or vice versa - the Motorola software is more current than the Play system update.

5) The Play system update components are already installed in the latest Motorola software updates and therefore the update is not required (again, Tom's experience would seem to rule this out).

Of course, I could be completely wrong in my conclusions but, I maintain that the most likely cause is with the Motorola software.

Look forward to seeing the solution!

Steve.

Options

26 Posts

08-04-2021

Finland

28 Signins

60 Page Views

• Message 78 of 351

2021-08-15, 8:09 AM
Hi "StevesG50"

And thank you ! Indeed, the experiences are very similar.
It is certainly a good thing for the end user that this problem seems to be software fixable!
What’s also a good thing is that the G50 can obviously be used safely despite that bug !!
My own thoughts also followed the point you mentioned (point 3) when I tried e.g. default language settings, etc.
And if it's even like you're thinking at point 3, it's a kind of "hardware level" problem for which the user can't do anything, even if there are some tools available, but the repair must come from the phone manufacturer
So we are waiting for the patch update.

Thanks

lasvir
Options

244 Posts

02-10-2017

Portugal

233 Signins

1217 Page Views

• Message 79 of 351

2021-08-15, 23:31 PM

I think point 3 should be the issue here.

At least now that more users are reporting this is a common problem on the G50 and hopefully it will be fixed soon.

Btw any of you use smart unlock feature? Tried to add my Bluetooth car as a safe device to unlock without have to put pin code but it didn't work. Can you please confirm ?

If not I'll open another thread to talk about this.

Thanks

Options

26 Posts

08-04-2021

Finland

28 Signins

60 Page Views

• Message 80 of 351

2021-08-16, 6:45 AM

Hello HenriqueM!

When I used a G50 phone, yes the smart lock worked with a Chromebook, for example.

However, I used this phone for a short time and now the device is "fluttering" and waiting for an update

Even if I could use a cell phone, I'm bothered by "that red dot in the Google Play system update!"

And even though Bitdefeder free (cloud-based scanner) checks for all software updates coming from Google Play, etc., I still think it's best to use a completely different phone for now

This is my own personal opinion in this situation and when I do have other phones though then why wouldn’t I do so for sure?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms