08-06-2019

US

229 Signins

2194 Page Views

• Views: 2194
  • Message 1 of 9

Battery Swelling on Moto G7 Power

2020-06-19, 0:58 AM

Less than one year ago I purchased my mother-in-law, who is a senior citizen, a brand new Moto G7 Power from Best Buy. While updating a few of her apps yesterday, I noticed that the ‘plastic area’ which surrounds the circular camera is not completely flushed. It sits between the fingerprint reader and the camera. Like a slightly raised lip, it is partially sticking up right below the camera. Is this normal? Could this be a sign that the battery is swelling? I always assumed the area surrounding the circular camera would be completely flushed. I’ve performed several hardware tests on the battery with the Moto app. In each test the ‘battery condition’ is reported as “GOOD.” Furthermore, there is no abnormal temperature or battery discharge. The phone’s performance is just as quick and fast as the first day I purchased it. Am I being overly cautious or is there a real hardware problem occurring?

Solved! See the solution
Options

2435 Posts

03-11-2019

US

629 Signins

46240 Page Views

• Views: 46240
  • Message 2 of 9

Re:Battery Swelling on Moto G7 Power

2020-06-19, 15:24 PM

Hi Presto8,

Thanks for posting your concern. Can you provide us a picture showing the slightly raised part on the phone?

Best regards,
Zeke
Motorola Support

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

145 Posts

08-06-2019

US

229 Signins

2194 Page Views

• Message 3 of 9

2020-06-19, 15:59 PM

Because the 'raised lip' is so minuscule, it's nearly impossible to see it on a photo. However, if you run your finger around the circular camera lens, you can definitely feel the slightly raised lip. It's barely noticeable. I talked to a Motorola Customer Support Agent yesterday about sending the phone in for repair.  At this point, the only way for the Motorola Repair Team to confirm whether the battery is swelling is to completely remove the backside of the phone. Unfortunately I'm afraid the Motorola Repair Team may not find anything wrong with the phone. BTW, I saw a similar problem on the Droid Turbo thread> https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/DROID-TURBO-by-Motorola/Is-my-battery-swelling/m-p/3270780?page=1#3270850

Options

11366 Posts

03-05-2018

US

1161 Signins

157510 Page Views

• Views: 157510
  • Message 4 of 9

2020-06-22, 18:57 PM

Hi Presto8,

Thanks for reporting this. It's possible that a battery swelling could pushed out any part/area on the phone, but it will be hard for us to diagnose this. You can send the device to service to physically diagnose the device and suggest if the phone needs a repair.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

145 Posts

08-06-2019

US

229 Signins

2194 Page Views

• Message 5 of 9

2020-09-26, 18:07 PM

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/moto-g7-play-moto-g7-moto-g7-power-moto-g7-plus/G7-battery-bulging-or-swelling/m-p/5035756?page=1#5130060

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/moto-g7-play-moto-g7-moto-g7-power-moto-g7-plus/Swollen-Battery/m-p/5003992?page=1#5012961

Like other people have reported in the above links, it appears that the Moto G7 Series has a battery defect. It has the tendency to become swollen over time even with careful and light usage. However, I contacted Motorola Customer Support and they opened a repair ticket for the device. Under Motorola's 1 Year Manufacturer Warranty, the device was quickly repaired at no cost. The battery issue has been completely resolved and the device performs like brand new.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

11366 Posts

03-05-2018

US

1161 Signins

157510 Page Views

• Message 6 of 9

2020-09-28, 13:54 PM

Hi Presto8,

Thank you for your feedback. I'm glad you're not experiencing battery issues with your replacement phone. Please keep observing this and here's a good-read on how to extend your battery. Click here. Don't hesitate to post in case you need further assistance. We're here to help.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Options

1 Posts

11-22-2020

US

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 7 of 9

2020-11-22, 17:57 PM

We have a Moto G7 Power we purchased from Amazon in August 2019. The battery is horribly swollen. This is my husband's phone. He is 83. I did not know about this until just a week or two ago. What can be done? We are out of warranty but a new phone is not in the budget. Help!

Options

145 Posts

08-06-2019

US

229 Signins

2194 Page Views

• Message 8 of 9

2020-11-22, 20:45 PM

Call Motorola Customer Support and speak to an agent. They will be able to walk you through the steps of getting your device repaired or replaced. These steps usually involve Motorola emailing you a "shipping label" that you can print out. You will also need a small box to ship your phone in. The "shipping label" is then placed on the outside of the box with some transparent tape. Make sure you use some bubble wrap to insulate the phone inside the box. If you don't have any bubble wrap then some old newspaper can be used as a substitute. Be sure to ship only the phone. Do not ship any accessories such as charging cables or wall chargers. Remove phone covers/cases and screen protectors before shipping too. If you live in the U.S. your device will either be shipped by FedEx or UPS. You'll need to find a FedEx or UPS store or "drop box" in your area. Use "Google'" to locate these drop off points. Due to the pandemic, I chose to ship my phone by simply putting it inside a drop box. After shipping my phone, the turn around time was less than two weeks before I received a replacement. Below is Motorola Customer Support contact information. Good luck.

Mobile Phones and Moto Mods and Inbox Accessories:

Call: 1-800-734-5870 

Monday to Friday, 7 a.m. - 10 p.m. CT

Saturday and Sunday, 9 a.m. - 6 p.m. CT

Options

11366 Posts

03-05-2018

US

1161 Signins

157510 Page Views

• Message 9 of 9

2020-11-23, 14:38 PM

Hi CHale321,

You may call as suggested or you can also find your repair options on our site here, and they include an extensive carry-in repair network that in many cases can provide same-day service, plus mail-in and some fix-it yourself options. You will find an interactive map that allows you to find a carry-in center convenient to you. We recommend contacting the repair center to ensure they are prepared for your specific issue. Please let me know if you need further assistance. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete