11-26-2019

BG

24 Signins

163 Page Views

• Views: 163
  • Message 31 of 45

Re:Battery and new update | Moto G7 Power

2020-05-27, 3:04 AM

Did anyone have an idea which process withing Google backup is responsible for the battery drain? I don't want to turn off backup entirely.

Options

2 Posts

05-25-2020

US

4 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 32 of 45

2020-05-27, 10:11 AM
I do NOT think keeens has the appropriate solution to my problem. My phone was backed up yesterday at 6:05am but the battery did not drain quickly yesterday as I did a "soft reset" the day before so the battery lasted two days as it should. Could an actual expert way in on this?
Options

4 Posts

05-27-2020

GB

5 Signins

50 Page Views

• Views: 50
  • Message 33 of 45

Re:Battery malfunction/expanding

2020-05-28, 15:52 PM

Hi,

I am having similar problems, my Motorola g7 power is draining after about 4 hours screen usage and is less than 12 months old. Can not get hold of any assistance possibly due to pandemic but when I put in my order number or IMEI number I am getting told it is invalid and I bought from Lenovo direct.

I am finding this frustrating as can not register the fault and the phone will pass out of warranty.

I have gone through all the trouble shooting tips and advice and nothing is working , all I can get is Moli who is having technical problems, I hope someone responds in due course.......please help

Graham

Options

9767 Posts

03-05-2018

US

1076 Signins

144578 Page Views

• Views: 144578
  • Message 34 of 45

2020-05-29, 14:41 PM

Hi Everyone,

Aside from the troubleshooting steps I provided, and your workarounds, we suggest try doing factory data reset without restoring your apps/backup

It is essential to observe your battery without any third-party apps/backup restored. I would recommend leaving your phone without any apps for a day then try installing your apps one at a time and see if there's improvement.

Factory Data Reset:

Settings > System > Reset > Factory Data Reset

*Backup your important files so you won't lose them.

Hope that helps. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

12 Posts

11-26-2019

BG

24 Signins

163 Page Views

• Message 35 of 45

2020-05-29, 18:26 PM
Turning essential features off is not a solution. I am also not going to play beta tester for you by constantly resetting my phone. YOU do your job and experiment to find the solution because YOU are losing customers, not me. I have not paid for the privilege to work for you - it is YOU who is working for me.
Options

4 Posts

05-27-2020

GB

5 Signins

50 Page Views

• Message 36 of 45

2020-06-01, 17:57 PM

Hi,

I have had to do factory reset so lost apps and phone is not syncing properly but battery life is back to normal so thank you  but I am worried it will happen again as I don't know what the google back up business is , maybe why my photos aren't syncing. ??

There was also a link to try and register my phone but I can not find this anymore, I didn't do it earlier as have had to try and create the invoice into a file as proof of purchase.

I apologise that this all seems very basic for many but I find it very frustrating and difficult but I thank all for your patience, it is appreciated.

Thanks

g

Options

4 Posts

05-27-2020

GB

5 Signins

50 Page Views

• Message 37 of 45

2020-06-01, 18:07 PM

Hi,

I have found the link to register so please ignore my last end of note message.

I also wanted to thank pet talk but haven't found the star button for kudos yet , I'll keep looking can see no star on the left , I did say I am rubbish !!

g

Options

2365 Posts

02-11-2016

US

2956 Signins

54371 Page Views

• Views: 54371
  • Message 38 of 45

2020-06-01, 18:40 PM

@ PetTak wrote:

Turning essential features off is not a solution. I am also not going to play beta tester for you by constantly resetting my phone. YOU do your job and experiment to find the solution because YOU are losing customers, not me. I have not paid for the privilege to work for you - it is YOU who is working for me.

We understand you're frustrated, but we are being as transparent as we can with this situation. You're entitled to either perform the workarounds or wait for any potential fixes from us or Google. 

-Tom

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

12 Posts

11-26-2019

BG

24 Signins

163 Page Views

• Message 39 of 45

2020-06-02, 4:07 AM

@ MotorolaTom wrote:

@ PetTak wrote:

We understand you're frustrated, but we are being as transparent as we can with this situation. You're entitled to either perform the workarounds or wait for any potential fixes from us or Google. 

-Tom

Transparent? So you do admit that there is an issue with excessive battery drain? Because my phone is still under warranty and I have one other option than the two you've mentioned -  can have it replaced. Thank you.

Options

2 Posts

06-02-2020

DE

4 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 40 of 45

2020-06-02, 10:36 AM

@ MotorolaTom wrote:

-Tom

I'm also experiencing a massive battery drain. Before the April security update (I'm on RETEU2: PPOS29.114-134-13) my phone's battery used to last several days (3-4), but now it only lasts for around 12 hrs (about 8% per hour are used).

This high consumption is independent from my usage behaviour of the phone.

The build-in Battery Usage screen shows a straight and strongly falling line from 100% to ~10% in just 12 hours.

I just let my phone sit for a day and apps, screen and mobile network standby use only single-digit percentage points that add up to just about 10-15%.

This high drainage of battery even occurs if the phone is totally powered off.

The first time I noticed this was right after I received the new update.

After the finished installation (reboot and "upgrade completed" notification) I let the phone sit for the night starting with about 60% power left (which was usually not a problem as it only drained a few % points at night).

But in the next morning the phone's battery was completely depleted.

There was even a LED in the notch lighting up as I plugged in the power plug.

It tested it later again with the same result.

The phone consumes battery while powered off.

I even booted to fastboot and powered off from there in order to be sure the phone didn't get stuck in the shutdown process.

I took a look at the ADB logcat and it seemed to shutdown properly (no service seemed to get stuck).

The workarounds/fixes/etc I have done so far as suggested in various threads (to no avail):

• Using the Motorola Smart Assistant Tool to repair the device. It flashed the PPOS29.114-134-13 again.
  • Factory resetting the phone (several times).
  • Battery calibration (in various ways described).
  • Clearing cache of Google Play Services.
  • Uninstalling updates of Google Play Services.
  • (Google Drive Backup was never enabled, as I'm not using this feature).
  • After Factory resetting the phone let it sit for a day without installing or restoring anything (still massively high battery consumption).
  • Waited a few days to let the new system "settle in" (the term seems a bit vague and esoterically to be honest).
  • (surely I have forgotten something now, because I've tried so many different things)

The problem still persists.

At least in my case Google Play Services do not seem to be the problem.

They do not even appear in the Battery Usage screen or are of any significance in other battery inspection apps (like AccuBattery).

AccuBattery even displayed a high deep sleep percentage (93%) while the screen was off, but it showed an astonishingly high usage of about 400mA per hour while screen was off.

I know that you can't put too much faith in the accuracy of such apps, but they may serve as an indicator.

ADB logcat and Motorola's "Device Help App" hardware diagnostic attested the battery a good condition. (Bought the phone only 4 months ago. Packaging still sealed.)

Another thing I noticed since the April security update is an odd behaviour of the 4G/LTE network connection (Carrier: German Vodafone).

The connection signal strength indicator wildly jumps from strong signal to a very bad signal (-93 dBm) and back every few seconds, while the phone is not moved. (But Battery Usage lists mobile network standby only with single-digit?!)

Before the April security update I always had a very high signal strength in that location.

My old Moto G5 does not show this behaviour with the same SIM and still has a high signal strength.

I noticed that the PPOS29.114-134-13 upgrade included a baseband version upgrade (M632_26.100.01.120.01R to M632_26.100.01.120.03R).

Unfortunately removing the SIM from the phone does not stop the massive battery drain.

The battery drain while powered off and the deterioration of the signal with new baseband look to me more like a firmware problem with the new baseband upgrade and not with some Google Play Services.

It would be nice if someone (Google, Motorola or who ever is responsible for the baseband firmware) would take a look at the baseband firmware again.

The phone is unusable at this moment and in this state.

I cannot carry a power plug around all day and charge the phone every few hours.

I deliberately bought this phone because of its long battery life and now even my old Moto G5 with more than 3 years of wear to the battery lasts longer.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete