07-15-2014

US

102 Signins

654 Page Views

• Views: 654
  • Message 1 of 5

Can't install Moto Voice for Alexa on stock G7 for Alexa Hands-Free

2019-03-15, 19:45 PM

Bought a stock G7, U.S. version, at Best Buy. In the Q&A n the Amazon product page, the Motorola rep said that you can install the Alexa app if you didn't buy it from Amazon. Half true. You can install the Alexa app and press buttons to use it (as on most Android phones) but the in the Play store, the Moto Voice for Alexa app by Motorola Mobility LLC says, "Your device isn't compatible with this version." Moto Voice for Alexa is what allows you to set use Alexa in hands-free mode, just saying the "Alexa" wake word to start talking to Alexa.

Is there a way to install Moto Voice for Alexa on a stock G7? Do I really have to return this phone and buy from Amazon to get hands-free Alexa?

Options

28302 Posts

02-02-2016

US

5839 Signins

132760 Page Views

• Views: 132760
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: Can't install Moto Voice for Alexa on stock G7 for Alexa Hands-Free

2019-03-17, 21:27 PM

wrote:

Bought a stock G7, U.S. version, at Best Buy. In the Q&A n the Amazon product page, the Motorola rep said that you can install the Alexa app if you didn't buy it from Amazon. Half true. You can install the Alexa app and press buttons to use it (as on most Android phones) but the in the Play store, the Moto Voice for Alexa app by Motorola Mobility LLC says, "Your device isn't compatible with this version." Moto Voice for Alexa is what allows you to set use Alexa in hands-free mode, just saying the "Alexa" wake word to start talking to Alexa.

Is there a way to install Moto Voice for Alexa on a stock G7? Do I really have to return this phone and buy from Amazon to get hands-free Alexa?

If the app says it is not compatible, there is no way i know of to force it onto the phone. If you find it outside the play store, it still may not work as it could be looking for Amazon branding on the phone. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

57 Posts

07-15-2014

US

102 Signins

654 Page Views

• Message 3 of 5

2019-03-18, 2:01 AM
Thank you for the reply. Definitely prefer not to go down the sideloading route. I'm new to Moto. What are the chances that they will (1) read this thread and (2) release Moto Voice for Alexa for the stock G7? They did it for the X4, right?
Options

28302 Posts

02-02-2016

US

5839 Signins

132760 Page Views

• Views: 132760
  • Message 4 of 5

2019-03-18, 12:22 PM

wrote:
Thank you for the reply. Definitely prefer not to go down the sideloading route. I'm new to Moto. What are the chances that they will (1) read this thread and (2) release Moto Voice for Alexa for the stock G7? They did it for the X4, right?

I don't have an answer for either 1 or 2. There are probably contracts and marketing that drive this. It could also be a technology or coding limitation. 

I would think Amazon would be the one with the most interest in doing this though - Alexa vs. Siri vs. Google vs. Cortana - 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

57 Posts

07-15-2014

US

102 Signins

654 Page Views

• Message 5 of 5

2019-03-18, 16:03 PM

Yes, Amazon has more to gain since Moto could say that Google Assistant is their Siri alternative. But the software already exists (published by Motorola Mobility LLC). Maybe Amazon paid Moto to develop the software and restrict it to Amazon-purchased devices.

@MotorolaTom, I see you've been active on this forum. Any hope for releasing Moto Voice for Alexa on the stock G7?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete