Options

10 Posts

02-01-2018

US

16 Signins

88 Page Views

• Views: 88
  • Message 1 of 6

Cannot send photos in Google Messages, other problems after getting replacement phone from Motorola

2020-01-28, 4:17 AM

I had to send in my 4-month-old Moto G7 (a model made for US use) for repairs--the charger port was damaged--and Motorola told me they could not repair it so they sent a "like new" replacement phone. I've had nothing but trouble with it and have spent many hours trying to fix bugs. Apps, accounts, and contacts transferred over from my old G5 just fine, but I have had a number of weird things happen.

The most troubling thing is that it cannot send pictures, GIFs, etc. with Google Messages/SMS, even though I can send text messages just fine. (And yes, I uninstalled and updated Google messaging--which was hard to figure out how to do--and also set unrestricted data for the app, set to automatically sync data, set Mobile data access to ON, and tried ALL the other suggestions I could find online and in the forums.) 

So here are some other things that happened:

1. EVERY time I turned the phone off and back on, it asked for permission for various foreign language keyboards (Google Pinyin, Indic, and Zhuyin).  Every time, I denied permission for the foreign keyboards. I also tried to select only for the English language under languages, but it wouldn't let me choose that and kept defaulting to all of these keyboards.  I finally found out how to uninstall the foreign keyboards (and it wasn't easy!), so that problem finally stopped.

2. When I first turn the phone back on, this message appears very briefly on the screen: 

• Configuration Update 
  • There are profile updates for your phone:  Access Point:  Update: T-Mobile MMS
  • Please make selection
  • POSTPONE DELETE INSTALL.  

Then it gives me no time to make a selection before it vanishes.

3.  When I first turn on my phone, it sends me an SMS that says the following: 

• "We see your phone does not have correct settings to access the internet or send MMS. Settings will be sent to your handset.

But, as far as I can tell, no settings are ever sent.

4.  Regulatory information on my phone says the following: 

• Model XT1962-1, Europe (picture of trash can crossed out) CE
  • United States of America, FCC ID: (gives the number here)
  • Canada IC: (gives a number here)

Does this mean they sent me a European version of the phone as my replacement? That doesn't seem like a fair replacement.

5.  In case this information is of any use...:

• Android version 9
  • Build number is PPOS29.114-134-7
  • Access Point_2 (fast..t-mobile.com) is the only APN selected

Solved! See the solution
Options

8591 Posts

03-05-2018

US

1018 Signins

135092 Page Views

• Views: 135092
  • Message 2 of 6

Re: Cannot send photos in Google Messages, other problems after getting replacement phone from Motor

2020-01-28, 16:20 PM

Hi KCNC,

Sorry to know about that. Glad you're able to uninstall the Google Pinyin. We checked your model number, it's the model intended for North America. Regarding your main post about APN settings, try resetting your APN (Settings > Network & internet > Mobile network > Access Point Names > Tap the 3 vertical dots > Reset to default). Let me know if that helps. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

10 Posts

02-01-2018

US

16 Signins

88 Page Views

• Message 3 of 6

Re: Cannot send photos in Google Messages, other problems after getting replacement phone from Motor

2020-01-28, 17:03 PM

Followed your advice and sent a picture to myself through SMS.  The picture came through!   The download is slower than with my original G7, however--I see the blue circle spinning for awhile before it receives the message.  It used to be more instantaneous, so I'm not sure why that is occurring.

Options

8591 Posts

03-05-2018

US

1018 Signins

135092 Page Views

• Message 4 of 6

2020-01-29, 16:33 PM

Hi KCNC,

Thanks for trying. In the meantime, kindly observe this for a couple of days and see if there's an improvement. Report back here and let us know how it goes. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

10 Posts

02-01-2018

US

16 Signins

88 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2020-02-04, 22:14 PM

Yes, the speed of sending photos, etc. has improved. Thank you again!

Options

8591 Posts

03-05-2018

US

1018 Signins

135092 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

2020-02-05, 16:14 PM

Hi KCNC,

Thanks for reporting back. I'm glad you're seeing improvements. Let me know if you need further help. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save