Options

0 Posts

02-14-2020

US

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 1 of 10

Charger isn't detected, unless I plug in a third party charger first and then immediately swap back

2020-02-14, 10:43 AM

Hi, I have a Moto G7 plus. I've recently had an issue where it doesn't detect my charger (the original one which came with the phone). It does detect a third party charger, but charges very slowly, and then if I swap that for the original charger immediately it will detect it and Turbo Charge normally. Every night I now have to do this - almost like I'm tricking the phone into detecting the official charger by plugging in a different one first. I've tried rebooting, booting in safe mode, different power outlets, etc, but nothing works.  Anyone ever experienced this?

Options

1700 Posts

10-16-2018

GB

1608 Signins

25128 Page Views

• Views: 25128
  • Message 2 of 10

Re: Charger isn't detected, unless I plug in a third party charger first and then immediately swap b

2020-02-14, 11:16 AM

wrote:

Hi, I have a Moto G7 plus. I've recently had an issue where it doesn't detect my charger (the original one which came with the phone). It does detect a third party charger, but charges very slowly, and then if I swap that for the original charger immediately it will detect it and Turbo Charge normally. Every night I now have to do this - almost like I'm tricking the phone into detecting the official charger by plugging in a different one first. I've tried rebooting, booting in safe mode, different power outlets, etc, but nothing works.  Anyone ever experienced this?

First easy thing to try is a ,"Soft Reset". This emulates taking the battery out and can clear glitches. Press and hold
the power button whilst the phone is switched on until the phone restarts.

HTH :)

Options

0 Posts

02-14-2020

US

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 3 of 10

Re: Charger isn't detected, unless I plug in a third party charger first and then immediately swap b

2020-02-14, 11:39 AM
Hadn't came across that yet idea, but it hasn't worked unfortunately!
Options

1700 Posts

10-16-2018

GB

1608 Signins

25128 Page Views

• Message 4 of 10

2020-02-14, 12:58 PM

wrote:
Hadn't came across that yet idea, but it hasn't worked unfortunately!

Very strange. Have a look at the phone's micro USB socket and see if there's even the tiniest bit of debris in it?

I've had to crimp a Micro USB plug end with my teeth before to make it tight. Sometimes they expand a bit with use and make a bad contact. Don't crimp too much just a little to see if ir makes it a snu g fit.

Options

0 Posts

02-14-2020

US

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 5 of 10

2020-02-14, 13:14 PM

There doesn't seem to be.  It's the fact that the cable works perfectly when I plug it in immediately after taking out the other one that's throwing me off though.  Surely that's a software issue and not a physical thing? Hadn't downloaded any new apps or anything like that recently

Options

1700 Posts

10-16-2018

GB

1608 Signins

25128 Page Views

• Message 6 of 10

2020-02-14, 13:16 PM

wrote:

There doesn't seem to be.  It's the fact that the cable works perfectly when I plug it in immediately after taking out the other one that's throwing me off though.  Surely that's a software issue and not a physical thing? Hadn't downloaded any new apps or anything like that recently

Yes it does sound like a software glitch. Just guessing here but try enabling the Battery saving function and see if that has an effect?

Also if there is an option to switch off the Fast charge try that and the Soft Reboot and then switch it on and try the Soft Reboot again.

Options

0 Posts

02-14-2020

US

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 7 of 10

2020-02-14, 13:35 PM
Battery saver didn't change anything. Don't seem to be able to turn off turbo charging.

Interesting development though - I turned the phone off with the charger plugged into it (having not recognised it was there and not charging) and when it was switched off it started charging. Turned it back on and it's continuing to charge. Unplugged in and plugged it back in and it recognises the cable again...

I'd tried doing that before and it didn't work so that's maybe progress?

Doesn't necessarily mean it's fixed - once it's been tricked into recognising the charger by using a different one first it has been working normally and by the next day when it needs charged again it doesn't recognise it again - so the real test will be tonight to see if it still works I guess
Options

1700 Posts

10-16-2018

GB

1608 Signins

25128 Page Views

• Message 8 of 10

2020-02-14, 13:38 PM

wrote:
Battery saver didn't change anything. Don't seem to be able to turn off turbo charging.

Interesting development though - I turned the phone off with the charger plugged into it (having not recognised it was there and not charging) and when it was switched off it started charging. Turned it back on and it's continuing to charge. Unplugged in and plugged it back in and it recognises the cable again...

I'd tried doing that before and it didn't work so that's maybe progress?

Doesn't necessarily mean it's fixed - once it's been tricked into recognising the charger by using a different one first it has been working normally and by the next day when it needs charged again it doesn't recognise it again - so the real test will be tonight to see if it still works I guess

Again only a guess but it might be a fault with the Fast charger not giving out the correct current to for the phone to detect straght away .

:(

Options

0 Posts

02-14-2020

US

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 9 of 10

2020-02-14, 13:42 PM
That sounds plausible to be fair.

Can you think of a way to fix that or would it mean needing a replacement charger?

I took the phone and charger to The Netherlands recently (I'm based in Scotland) - maybe plugging it in there has screwed it up somehow? Obviously it shouldn't matter, but it's the only thing I'd say I'd done differently with the charger.

Thanks for taking the time to answer btw! Appreciated :)
Options

1700 Posts

10-16-2018

GB

1608 Signins

25128 Page Views

• Message 10 of 10

2020-02-14, 13:46 PM

wrote:
That sounds plausible to be fair.

Can you think of a way to fix that or would it mean needing a replacement charger?

I took the phone and charger to The Netherlands recently (I'm based in Scotland) - maybe plugging it in there has screwed it up somehow? Obviously it shouldn't matter, but it's the only thing I'd say I'd done differently with the charger.

Thanks for taking the time to answer btw! Appreciated :)

I don't think using the Charger in the EU would change anything as they run lower current/voltage. I've worked a lot in the Netheralands and Germany and never had a problem,at least with normal chargers :)

The only way would be to go to  a Phone shop and try another Fast charger and if it still does it then it's the phone's problem.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save