Options

4 Posts

07-01-2019

GB

3 Signins

45 Page Views

• Views: 45
  • Message 1 of 26

G7 Plus SD card stuck inside phone between tray and screen!

2019-07-01, 11:40 AM

I just bought a Moto g7 plus, put my sim and sd card into the tray and pushed it in. No SD card registered on the phone so I slowly took the tray back out and to my surprise the SD card had vanished. Thinking it must have dropped onto the floor somewhere I bought another SD card put it in the tray and all was well until I saw a blue smudge on the screen when on a white background. Strange. A few days later I took the new sd card out and the blue smudge on screen went away. I took the tray out and peered inside with a light and lo and behold my 'old' SD card has somehow managed to insert itself in between a very thin piece of metal lining the inside of where the tray goes and the back of the screen!

How can this happen?! Why have such a silly design that an sd card or a sim could get down there. I cannot get it out, I've tried but all thats happened is it has disappeared even deeper into the phone! Putting my sim and new sd card in  with this old sd card stuck within it's depths means it applies pressure to the back of the screen causing this blue smudge to appear.

Any ideas how I can get to it?

Options

5988 Posts

12-04-2017

IN

1170 Signins

77328 Page Views

• Views: 77328
  • Message 2 of 26

Re: G7 Plus SD card stuck inside phone between tray and screen!

2019-07-02, 10:17 AM

Hi CyberPixie,

Sorry to learn about that, this is so unusual. We would like to help, our best bet would be to have your device sent for service/repair so the service team can further diagnose your device and assist you accordingly. Please do not try any sharp object to remove the SD card as it could damage further.

Also, please be advised that we have passed along your feedback with our product team for further investigation.

Regards,

Swaraj

Motorola

If you need a reference in updating your profile, please click this link. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943
Options

1 Posts

07-08-2019

US

2 Signins

24 Page Views

• Views: 24
  • Message 3 of 26

2019-07-08, 2:15 AM

I am facing same issue. I just Moto g7 plus, put my sim and sd card into the tray and pushed it in. No SD card registered on the phone so I slowly took the tray back out and to my surprise the SD card had vanished. Thinking it must have dropped onto the floor somewhere but it was not so I took the tray out and peered inside with a light and SD card was sitting inside.

How can this happen?! Why have such a silly design that an sd card or a sim could get down there. I cannot get it out, I've tried but all thats happened is it has disappeared even deeper into the phone! 

Any ideas how I can get to it?

Options

1 Posts

07-18-2019

US

1 Signins

22 Page Views

• Views: 22
  • Message 4 of 26

2019-07-18, 23:28 PM

This exact same thing just happened to my SIM card.  I can no longer see it so I can't remove it.  How is this possible???

Options

5988 Posts

12-04-2017

IN

1170 Signins

77328 Page Views

• Views: 77328
  • Message 5 of 26

2019-07-19, 13:52 PM

Hi PaulREmery,

Sorry to learn about that. Thank you for reporting, we have passed along your feedback with our product team. Our best bet would be to have your device sent for repair/replacement. 

Regards,

Swaraj

Motorola Support

If you need a reference in updating your profile, please click this link. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943
Options

2 Posts

07-24-2019

GB

16 Signins

164 Page Views

• Views: 164
  • Message 6 of 26

2019-07-24, 9:59 AM

I have just sent my G7 to the motorola repair centre to have two micro sd cards retrieved from the screen side of the slot! I agree this should not be possible so I am waiting to see what response I get from them. Like others, I tried to insert a second because I presumed I had dropped, and somehow lost, the first one. Only after 'losing' the second one did I look into the slot and I could then (just) see the top of the second one, the wrong side of the slot plate. I can only assume on tray entry the sd card 'lifted' to cause this, but there was no resistance on inserting the tray to indicate something was going wrong. Initial contact with motorola support by e-mail - they responded that they tried in the office and could not duplicate the problem and therefore it was 'not possible'. Now I wait but this does seem to be a design fault, doesn't it? 

Options

2 Posts

07-26-2019

GB

4 Signins

38 Page Views

• Views: 38
  • Message 7 of 26

2019-07-26, 10:41 AM

I've just bought a moto g7 and managed to get the SD card stuck between the slot and the screen. I inserted the tray with the SIM and SD card installed. However, the SD card didn't 'take', so I removed the tray.

Like a few other people on here, I was surprised by the absence of the SD card and thought it had fallen out - but no! It was still in the phone - I could see the top of it near the slot opening.

I got it out though - here's the dodgy method of how:

I wedged a very sharp knife under the screen (next to the SIM/SD slot) and carefully prised it away from the rest of the phone by approximately 1mm.

I inverted the whole shebang and the SD card fell out.

This is a pretty hazardous operation, it would be easy to break the screen for sure. As the screen prises away, the adhesive can be seen 'tearing' away from it - which is all rather worrying.

Anyway, it worked, and the SD/SIM card were all reinstalled and are operating as they should.

I am, however, in no hurry to remove the cards again. Having said that, there shouldn't be a problem because they've obvously gone in as they should.

Given that several people have had the same issue as me, this must be considered a design flaw. I didn't like the look of the combined SD/SIM card tray when I first clapped eyes on it, I have to say...

Options

2 Posts

07-28-2019

US

1 Signins

18 Page Views

• Views: 18
  • Message 8 of 26

2019-07-28, 14:06 PM

Just bought a new Moto g7.... took it home and inserted my sim card and sd card... guess what??...   The sd card disappeared into the phone.  It's now jammed up into the phone somewhere and I cant retrieve it.  sounds like I'm not the first person to have this probelm.  Just mind-bending to think that I am having such a basic issue with a phone in theis day and age!  Now what are my options?  Send my phone off and not se it again for several weeks?  VERY FRUSTRATING!   

Options

1 Posts

09-27-2017

US

4 Signins

31 Page Views

• Views: 31
  • Message 9 of 26

2019-08-01, 4:31 AM

I had the same issue just occur on my new G7 phone. I bought through Amazon and although the Sim card works and goes in and out I can't remove the SD card. 

What a m I to do?

Options

2 Posts

07-26-2019

GB

4 Signins

38 Page Views

• Views: 38
  • Message 10 of 26

2019-08-01, 11:21 AM
The way I see it, you have 3 choices:
1) Send it to a repair shop.
2) Do nothing and use it 'as is'.
3) Attempt to fix it yourself, like I did.

See message 7, two messages above your own...
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save