12-07-2016

US

15 Signins

93 Page Views

• Views: 93
  • Message 1 of 10

G7 Power storage issues with SD card

2019-03-27, 5:03 AM

I have a new G7 Power.  I got a 128GB SD card in there as soon as I got it since I knew the standard 32GB would not be enough.  Formatted as "Internal Storage" when I put it in as I didn't plan on ever taking it out.  After a huge hassle to try to get my music copied over, I finally have the music but apparently it is saved to internal storage, with what looks like almost an identical copy of the full 15ishGB collection showing up on the SD Card.  As a resultmy internal storage is maxed out and I have constant messages that my memeory is full and and nothing else can be saved. My total device storage is listed as 50 out of 160GB used, Internal says 31.61 out of 32 used, and SD Card says 18.43 out of 128 used.  So I've got tons of available storage, but everything is jammed into Internal.  I've gone through the manual instructions for simply moving data from Internal to SD, and I can select all the music files but the only option it gives me is to "delete", there is NO option to 'move." My music player is Rocket Player, and when I open the settings and click on "storage" there is a "change" button. Click on that, there are options to change storage, either "internal shared" or SanDisk SD. If I select SD card, thinking I can just move all the music that way, I get " couldn't move app, not enough stoage space", when there is over 100GB available!

Any ideas? Shouldn't the memory just function seamlessly as one huge internal memory?  And even if not, why won't it let me just manually move the data to the SD card?  I thought maybe I formatted it wrong, but when I click on it, one of the menu options is "format as portable", which to me would indicate that it IS currently formatted as internal. 

Options

28302 Posts

02-02-2016

US

5838 Signins

132750 Page Views

• Views: 132750
  • Message 2 of 10

Re: G7 Power storage issues with SD card

2019-03-27, 17:59 PM

wrote:

I have a new G7 Power.  I got a 128GB SD card in there as soon as I got it since I knew the standard 32GB would not be enough.  Formatted as "Internal Storage" when I put it in as I didn't plan on ever taking it out.  After a huge hassle to try to get my music copied over, I finally have the music but apparently it is saved to internal storage, with what looks like almost an identical copy of the full 15ishGB collection showing up on the SD Card.  As a resultmy internal storage is maxed out and I have constant messages that my memeory is full and and nothing else can be saved. My total device storage is listed as 50 out of 160GB used, Internal says 31.61 out of 32 used, and SD Card says 18.43 out of 128 used.  So I've got tons of available storage, but everything is jammed into Internal.  I've gone through the manual instructions for simply moving data from Internal to SD, and I can select all the music files but the only option it gives me is to "delete", there is NO option to 'move." My music player is Rocket Player, and when I open the settings and click on "storage" there is a "change" button. Click on that, there are options to change storage, either "internal shared" or SanDisk SD. If I select SD card, thinking I can just move all the music that way, I get " couldn't move app, not enough stoage space", when there is over 100GB available!

Any ideas? Shouldn't the memory just function seamlessly as one huge internal memory?  And even if not, why won't it let me just manually move the data to the SD card?  I thought maybe I formatted it wrong, but when I click on it, one of the menu options is "format as portable", which to me would indicate that it IS currently formatted as internal. 

For these reasons and more, I am not a fan of using "adopted storage" feature for sd cards. I use mine as portable storage, load it up with music, and keep apps on my phone. Also many users have noticed premature card death with adopted storage. And if you have to reset your phone, you lose the encryption key to the sd card, and so data on adopted cards is inaccessible after a reset.

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

8 Posts

12-07-2016

US

15 Signins

93 Page Views

• Views: 93
  • Message 3 of 10

2019-03-28, 1:17 AM

Thanks for the reply.  Do you know if it is possible to reformat the card now as Portable instead of Internal, or will I lose everything on the card currently?  If that's the only way, I guess I can do it, it is just literally an allnight project to download all my music again.  And then I could set the music player to save to Portable? I like the way you do it, since my SD card is the majority of my storage and my music takes up the most space, if I get all my music on there, there should be plenty of room for everything else on the Internal.  I'm just not sure how to change that over, and make sure future music ends up in the right storage.

Options

28302 Posts

02-02-2016

US

5838 Signins

132750 Page Views

• Views: 132750
  • Message 4 of 10

2019-03-28, 11:32 AM

wrote:

Thanks for the reply.  Do you know if it is possible to reformat the card now as Portable instead of Internal, or will I lose everything on the card currently?  If that's the only way, I guess I can do it, it is just literally an allnight project to download all my music again.  And then I could set the music player to save to Portable? I like the way you do it, since my SD card is the majority of my storage and my music takes up the most space, if I get all my music on there, there should be plenty of room for everything else on the Internal.  I'm just not sure how to change that over, and make sure future music ends up in the right storage.

If you format the card you will lose all data on it. If you had internal storage space, there is an option to move the data off the card prior to formatting, but that doesn't help if no space. 

You could always put the card in a card reader attached to a pc, load all music there, then insert card into phone. I do that and find it less tedious. I also use Media Monkey to manage and sync music on both desktop and phone. It has some sync quirks sometimes, but eventurally works well. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

1698 Posts

10-16-2018

GB

1607 Signins

25123 Page Views

• Views: 25123
  • Message 5 of 10

2019-03-28, 13:53 PM

I too warn people not to use,"Adoptive Storage".There are ways to format an SD card as a small amount of Internel Storage and Exteral storage which might be a better option but it's not for the average user.

Once an SDcard has been formatted as Internal Storage removing the card will break the link to the phone and the data will become unreadable and the same happens if the SD card is Software-Ejected.Any data on the card can be backed up to a PC but only using WiFi or Bluetooth in most cases. and not via a USB cable.

If the card is removed and put in a Card-reader then Data recovery software will have to be used on a PC to get data off the SD card.This cannot be done if the SD card is reformatted before using the software.

HTH :)

Options

1 Posts

08-29-2019

US

1 Signins

8 Page Views

• Views: 8
  • Message 6 of 10

2019-08-29, 15:40 PM
Hi,

I know this is really late but I just bought this same phone and am having the same exact issue. Did you ever find a solution for this?
Options

2 Posts

11-24-2019

US

1 Signins

96 Page Views

• Views: 96
  • Message 7 of 10

2019-11-24, 0:27 AM

I'm having similar problem. Have had phone a few weeks, formatted my SD as internal, was able to move apps on individual basis and choose ad as storage location until a few days ago. Now move to SD doesn't work, card no longer shows as storage location option in camera, photo or other apps. I'm almost out of phone storage with only 3g used on my SD card. I am aware of downfalls to SD as internal, however I have a lot of apps & play numerous games on my phone and have a lot of photos and video, most of which I do upload to cloud, but there are some photos I'd prefer to keep handy on my phone (SD card storage, preferably). 

When I did a chat with Lenovo support she told me it is not possible to format as internal, that it is not possible to transfer apps to SD on case by case basis and that the ONLY way to use an SD card is to plug into a pc and manually transfer any files and apps u want on your SD card, VIA Phone to pc to SD card, which is RIDICULOUS.

Does anyone have any idea what the issue is here and y suddenly my SD is no longer functioning as part of internal storage? I could start over and reformat, but I'll lose the apps and data I've already put on it, cuz I can't move apps back to phone and can't even see SD specific stuff in file manager to back up card to cloud or wherever (and don't have an available PC atm to try supports ridiculous work around).

Any help appreciated

Options

1698 Posts

10-16-2018

GB

1607 Signins

25123 Page Views

• Views: 25123
  • Message 8 of 10

2019-11-24, 12:37 PM

Make sure the USB cable you are using is a Data cable as some are Charge only.Most newer Type Cs are Data cables.

Then make sure you have these PC drivers installed,

https://support.motorola.com/us/en/drivers

and hopefully when it pops up on the phone,

Put this into a search engine free sd card data recovery software

HTH :)

Options

5 Posts

04-22-2019

US

24 Signins

176 Page Views

• Views: 176
  • Message 9 of 10

2019-12-08, 15:44 PM

Same problem. Super frustrating. Disney+ only recognizes the ACTUAL internal storage (which means I can only download one or two episodes of anything even though I have 90 GB free), but the PC recognizes EVERYTHING as SanDisk SD card, but Files and File Manager won't transfer my audio files, between the two...and I'm not certain where the audio files actually are because the phone itself shows them in both internal and external storage!! I'm afraid to reformat the SD Card, but it seems like the only option. That means I'm going to lose data, but I can't figure out which data. Even the phone itself tells me there's data for Apps, but shows no apps when I drill down. This is super screwed up, they shouldn't even try this "Internal" option if this is how they implement it. What a tremendous waste of time. No wonder Apple is still going strong. Is there any response from Customer Support? Not yet.

Options

2 Posts

11-18-2019

US

4 Signins

21 Page Views

• Views: 21
  • Message 10 of 10

Re:G7 Power storage issues with SD card

2020-03-20, 19:43 PM

I have found that it is possible to move large apps over to the SD Card, thus freeing-up large chunks of space particularly for GAMES and OFFICE APPS that you might have on the internal storage that is on the phone:

Just go to Settings

APPS & Notifications (select any 3rd party apps, not the Google apps or browsers)

Click on STORAGE

Click on CHANGE

Click on SD Card (I have a SANDISK brand, so I see SANDISK SD Card)

A screen will appear where you will tap on MOVE and wait for the process to complete and it will be on the SD card when it finishes and returns to the app screen.

Do this for all your apps that are large and 3rd party, then you will see you have more space on the internal storage to allow the system work reliably.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save