06-13-2020

US

8 Signins

75 Page Views

• Views: 75
  • Message 1 of 5

G7 series GPS services

2020-06-13, 7:46 AM

I'm a current Moto E4 owner, mostly happy, but running out of app space, sometimes slow wifi (narrowed down to the phone itself being the issue), and a compass that almost never points north!

Looking to upgrade most likely to a G7 or a G7 plus.  I'm a US user, but open to International models (prices seem better) if the features I want are there.

I enjoy Geocaching, so I need GPS and a good compass.  I would prefer to future-proof and support as many GPS services as possible.  Review sites conflict, and from what I've read, even Motorola's spec pages are sometimes inaccurate.  According to Moto US - The US model G7 supports all 4 satellite systems - GPS (and A-GPS), GLONASS, Galileo, Beidou.  According to the Moto UK site - The UK G7 model supports all except Beidou.  Best I can tell G7 plus also supports all except Beidou.

I found a previous posting from MotorolaTom about G7 compasses:

---------

Re: No Compass In Moto G7

2019-02-13, 16:15 PM

I apologize for any confusion. It appears the site is incorrect. Here is the breakdown for compass on the moto g7 Family.

• moto g7 play - North America only
  • moto g7 - All regions (where sold)
  • moto g7 power - North America only
  • moto g7 plus - All regions (where sold)

-Tom

----------

Hopefully Tom can verify that's all still correct, and give the same full G7 model information for GPS services? 

Thank you!

edit -- After shopping around, I may consider the G8 models as well.  If possible, can you list the compass and GPS on those as well?  I can re-post in a G8 forum if necessary... Thanks.

Solved! See the solution
Options

2923 Posts

02-11-2016

US

3016 Signins

57796 Page Views

• Views: 57796
  • Message 2 of 5

Re:G7 series GPS services

2020-06-16, 16:55 PM

@ TorqueMasterB wrote:

I'm a current Moto E4 owner, mostly happy, but running out of app space, sometimes slow wifi (narrowed down to the phone itself being the issue), and a compass that almost never points north!

Looking to upgrade most likely to a G7 or a G7 plus.  I'm a US user, but open to International models (prices seem better) if the features I want are there.

I enjoy Geocaching, so I need GPS and a good compass.  I would prefer to future-proof and support as many GPS services as possible.  Review sites conflict, and from what I've read, even Motorola's spec pages are sometimes inaccurate.  According to Moto US - The US model G7 supports all 4 satellite systems - GPS (and A-GPS), GLONASS, Galileo, Beidou.  According to the Moto UK site - The UK G7 model supports all except Beidou.  Best I can tell G7 plus also supports all except Beidou.

I found a previous posting from MotorolaTom about G7 compasses:

---------

Re: No Compass In Moto G7

2019-02-13, 16:15 PM

I apologize for any confusion. It appears the site is incorrect. Here is the breakdown for compass on the moto g7 Family.

• moto g7 play - North America only
  • moto g7 - All regions (where sold)
  • moto g7 power - North America only
  • moto g7 plus - All regions (where sold)

-Tom

----------

Hopefully Tom can verify that's all still correct, and give the same full G7 model information for GPS services? 

Thank you!

edit -- After shopping around, I may consider the G8 models as well.  If possible, can you list the compass and GPS on those as well?  I can re-post in a G8 forum if necessary... Thanks.

I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you. It took some time to compile the information. This is still accurate for G7 family and compass. As for GPS on the G7 Family See below:

• moto g7 play - GPS, AGPS, LTEPP, SUPL,GLONASS
  • moto g7 - GPS, AGPS, Beidou, GLONASS
    moto g7 power - GPS, AGPS, LTEPP, SUPL,GLONASS
  • moto g7 plus - GPS, AGPS, GLONASS,Galileo, (Beidou (China only))

For the new G/G8 Family compass and GPS

ModelCompassGPS Supported
moto g8 playNoGPS, A-GPS, LTEPP, SUPL, Glonass, Galileo
moto g8 plusYesGPS, A-GPS, LTEPP, SUPL, Glonass, Galileo
moto g powerYesGPS, A-GPS, LTEPP, SUPL, Glonass, Galileo
moto g8 powerYesGPS, A-GPS, LTEPP, SUPL, Glonass, Galileo
moto g8NoGPS, A-GPS, LTEPP, SUPL, Glonass, Galileo
moto g fastYesGPS, A-GPS, LTEPP, SUPL, Glonass, Galileo
moto g stylus/moto g proYesGPS, A-GPS, LTEPP, SUPL, Glonass, Galileo
moto g8 power liteNoGPS, A-GPS, LTEPP, SUPL, Glonass, Galileo

As a side note. I know the pricing can be enticing to purchase an international model, but keep in mind, most come with no warranty or warranty only in the country it was intended for sale in. While say a Moto G8 Plus might work in the US, we can't gurantee carrier compatibility and if anything happens with it that would require warranty repair, you would be essentially on your own as it was never intended for sale here in the US and doesn't carry a warranty here. 

Let me know if you have any other questions. I'll do my best to get them answered for you as quickly as possible.

-Tom

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

8 Posts

06-13-2020

US

8 Signins

75 Page Views

• Message 3 of 5

2020-06-25, 5:30 AM

Tom,

Thanks for the thorough reply!  It's disappointing to see that the only way to get all 4 GPS systems is a China model G7 Plus -- I'll have to see what negatives come along with that.  Beidou is a global system, it should be supported, not dropped!  If that model falls through, I'll definitely choose Galileo over Beidou -- thankfully plenty of models to choose from there.

I was leaning towards the G7 models, for possibly better prices on still available new phones, as well as having a year of mostly trouble-free history.  The newer G and G8 models are relatively untested -- should be fine but one never knows how the engineers may borked them up.

Understood on International model warranties in the US.  Most of the  sellers warn of this.  My previous and current Moto G models have lasted many years -- I outgrew them rather than them breaking -- so I'll look for a no DOA seller and hope for Moto G continued consistent quality control.

Next up is verifying the International models (if I go that direction) will work on my preferred US cell system -- more to read and learn.  I see plenty of anecdotal US user "Works great" reviews, but I'd like to firm that up with some actual specs.

Thanks again.

Options

2923 Posts

02-11-2016

US

3016 Signins

57796 Page Views

• Views: 57796
  • Message 4 of 5

2020-06-25, 14:29 PM

@ TorqueMasterB wrote:

Tom,

Thanks for the thorough reply!  It's disappointing to see that the only way to get all 4 GPS systems is a China model G7 Plus -- I'll have to see what negatives come along with that.  Beidou is a global system, it should be supported, not dropped!  If that model falls through, I'll definitely choose Galileo over Beidou -- thankfully plenty of models to choose from there.

I was leaning towards the G7 models, for possibly better prices on still available new phones, as well as having a year of mostly trouble-free history.  The newer G and G8 models are relatively untested -- should be fine but one never knows how the engineers may borked them up.

Understood on International model warranties in the US.  Most of the  sellers warn of this.  My previous and current Moto G models have lasted many years -- I outgrew them rather than them breaking -- so I'll look for a no DOA seller and hope for Moto G continued consistent quality control.

Next up is verifying the International models (if I go that direction) will work on my preferred US cell system -- more to read and learn.  I see plenty of anecdotal US user "Works great" reviews, but I'd like to firm that up with some actual specs.

Thanks again.

You're welcome. Of course, you're entitled to purchase from whatever reseller you wish. I won't really be able to help when it comes to helping to use a phone from outside the region it was intended for sale. I wish you the best of luck with that and hope you can find some comprehensive reviews. Don't hesitate to reach out if you have any other questions or concerns that I can assist with.

-Tom

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

8 Posts

06-13-2020

US

8 Signins

75 Page Views

• Message 5 of 5

2020-07-07, 0:50 AM

Tom, 

I found a good deal on a Moto G Power.  It's the US model XT2041-4 hardware version "pvt".  I am testing it just on wifi (no sim.) Went through setup, it downloaded several updates. I gave it my account information and downloaded a few apps off the play store.  

All of these apps show the GPS satellites being used by the phone.  Physics Toolbox Suite, GPSTest, and GPS Test.  None of them show Galileo satellites being used.  Only GPS and Glonass.

I found a web page (https://in-the-sky.org/) that shows current positions of satellites, and verified Galileo satellites are overhead.  I verified the app wasn't misidentifying them as something else, they just aren't there.  One of the apps has switches to  determine which satellites show in the app, doesn't matter if Galileo is "on" or "off."

According to research, "On November 15, [2018] the FCC adopted a waiver order allowing GNSS receivers to use Galileo signals within the United States without an FCC license."  And I have seen past anecdotal mentions of "geo-fencing" phones -- they only receive it when outside of the USA, but that shouldn't be the case anymore -- not on a 2020 model phone.  I am in the US.

So, how do I get Galileo working on this phone?  

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete