US

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 1 of 12

Moto G7 Play latest update broke my phone Build PPY29.105-160-4

2020-02-05, 14:26 PM

Hi,

- First issues was with time and weather, The app quit working. disabling and re-enabling seemed to fix it, however it sometimes still disappears and sort of hangs my phone

- Dropped calls, I drop calls like crazy now, and the calls are not clear. Phone most always has bad signal strength, never happened before update

- Lots of no SMS messaging notifications even with full bars.

- This issue with texting just started, in the middle of the text all new received texts started coming in under yesterday and new texts went out on top (as in above the thread) as today

Is it possible to roll this update back so I can have a working phone? or is my phone now broke

Solved! See the solution
Options

8650 Posts

03-05-2018

US

1021 Signins

135472 Page Views

• Views: 135472
  • Message 2 of 12

Re: Moto G7 Play latest update broke my phone Build PPY29.105-160-4

2020-02-05, 22:22 PM

Hi Exp_02,

First, there's no native option to roll back to the previous update. But let me help you with this.

-If Time and Weather disappears in the home display, kindly try this steps:

Settings > Apps > Tap on 3 vertical dots > Show System > Time & Weather > Force Stop > Disable and Re-enable > Storage > Clear Storage

-Are you experiencing drop calls from specific contact/s, location? Were these VOLTE or regular phone calls? Please update your profile with the current phone, carrier and serial number -- this will help me investigate. Please make sure that the options under Settings > System > Motorola Privacy are on as well, and let me know (just reply here) if it's okay for me to look at your apps to see if they are a source of problems. How to update profile? See here

-When you say no SMS notifications, are you talking about visual/sound notification? or just delayed receiving of SMS? It sounds like related to your network causing this. You can try resetting your network preferences (Settings > System > Advanced > Reset > Reset WiFi, mobile & Bluetooth. Please note that this will reset your WiFi, mobile data, and BT, you might have to pair back those devices previously connected with your phone. 

Let me know if that helps. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

0 Posts

02-05-2020

US

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 3 of 12

2020-02-05, 23:40 PM

If Time and Weather

-- Tried that when it first started, and I kept getting a pop up stating that time and weather were updating.  I did it again as you instructed and it would not start, I had to restart the phone to get the time back on my home screen.  On login it stated loading for about 15+ seconds, I got a screen shot, this time, it is attached.  Time is functioning

Are you experiencing drop calls from specific contact/s, location? Were these VOLTE or regular phone calls?

-- That I do not know I have that set to default and did not take note.  My son called me and my call kept dropping, we had to continue on my wife’s phone, same location.  A couple of days ago I was unable to hear on some calls in my neighborhood where I have never had trouble before the upgrade. I have been working with Verizon, about a week ago, because my phone, my wife’s phone and my work phone was losing signal.  This time the other two phones were working well.  I have updated my profile, sorry I over looked it.  Yes you can look, kind of interesting though, you actually go into my phone?  Do I get a notification like when I am engaged with remote desktop support?  If there is a doc a link will be sufficient.

-When you say no SMS notifications

It had a warning in the status bar stating no "SMS connection" I have done that before and can do it again, it was actually frustrating as I have an unlocked phone and I do not have an option to use voice over ip , only Verizon branded phones have that. 

Options

8650 Posts

03-05-2018

US

1021 Signins

135472 Page Views

• Message 4 of 12

2020-02-06, 15:05 PM

Hi Exp_02,

Thanks for your reply. Regarding Time and Weather, this should not impact anything on the phone but you can try disabling the notification from the Time and Weather app (Settings > Apps > Show System > Time and Weather > Notifications > Mark off Time and Weather or TimeWeather. 

I will not do the remote access to your phone, but I can check your network signal strength and apps crashing that's possibly causing an issue. Checking these data, I can see that LMSA is crashing. Are you having any problems using the LMSA tool? Regarding your signal, it's running poor to moderate most of the time. But I don't think that should impact this much.

Can you test all of these in safe mode? Do the normal stuff and observe this behavior. Third-party apps will be disabled in safe mode.

To Enable Safe Mode
1. Press and hold the Power button until Power off comes up on the screen.
2. Touch and HOLD Power off on the screen until reboot to safe mode appears.
Just turn off and on the phone to boot back to normal mode.

Let me know if there's any improvement. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

0 Posts

02-05-2020

US

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 5 of 12

2020-02-06, 22:11 PM

Hi Rich,

Thank you for the time and effort, it is appreciated.  I talked to Verizon today and they are reporting no issue in the cell that I am connect to.  My work phone is working without issue.  They suggest I update my apps.  I check and there are 54 apps waiting for update, wow.  So I am in the middle of that now.  Also I have "Can't update Android Accessibility Suite" that I will look into once the other updates are done and I reboot.  I will then do as you have suggested.

Options

0 Posts

02-05-2020

US

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 6 of 12

2020-02-06, 23:30 PM

Hi,

Just a quick update.  After updateing my apps the phone was dead to phone calls, would not send or receive.  Had about 3 bars, hit send then no bars and error message unable to use cell.  I went to setting --> network --> mobile network Advanced --> Preferred network type switch from Global to LTE/CDMA.  Made a couple of calls and switched it back to global and I am now able to make calls.

I have not had a chance to run the the oter tests yet,

Options

8650 Posts

03-05-2018

US

1021 Signins

135472 Page Views

• Message 7 of 12

2020-02-07, 15:26 PM

Hi Exp_02,

I still don't understand why it's happening. I appreciate all the things you've tried though. I'd like to raise this so we can further investigate, can you send me a bug report when you're able to duplicate the same behavior? 

To capture Bug Report:
Go to Settings ->Developer options -> Enable USB debugging > Toggle On
Enable Settings -> Developer options -> Enable Bug Report shortcut > Toggle On
Once the issue is reproduced: Go to Settings -> Developer options -> Click on take bug report or Press Power button and then choose Bug Report from the Power down menu.
Wait for some time until the bug report is collected. It takes around 3 to 4 minutes to collect the Bug Report.
Then upload the BugReport to your personal Google Drive and then share the link to the BugReport via private message.
Provide observations of what you saw happen right before the bug report was taken. Please indicate the local time when you observed the behavior.

To enable developer options:
1. Go to Settings > About phone > Build number
2. Tap Build number seven times. After the first few taps, you should see the steps counting down until you unlock the developer options. Once activated, you will see a message that reads, “You are now a developer!”
3. Go back to Settings, where you’ll find a Developer options entry in the menu

Let me know. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

0 Posts

02-05-2020

US

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 8 of 12

2020-02-12, 0:00 AM

Hi Rich,

Just checking in to see if you got the logs you were looking for.  I am still haveing difficulty making calls and texting.

Options

0 Posts

02-05-2020

US

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 9 of 12

2020-02-12, 21:36 PM

Hi, I know I just posted yesterday but this is getting very frustrating.I have two Samsung's and an iPhone that work without issue. So ether the latest update broke my phone or my phone just failed. I would like to do a wipe of the OS or rom and reload the OS from scratch before I go down the path of requesting a warranty replacement. Is that what is know as a factory reset?

Options

8650 Posts

03-05-2018

US

1021 Signins

135472 Page Views

• Message 10 of 12

2020-02-12, 22:08 PM

Hi Exp_02,

Thanks, I got your private message with your bug report. I already shared it with the team. I will let you know if we find out anything on your report. Regarding your question, factory reset will delete all your phone's data/files and reset the phone back to its default settings(like the first time you used the phone). It will not wipe the OS nor reload the OS back to the previous version. 

You can try doing factory data reset if you'd like, that's a good troubleshooting step to try to isolate this. But please make sure to skip restoring your backup/third-party apps.

Factory Data Reset:
Settings > System > Reset options > Factory Reset
*Backup your important files before doing the reset

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save